Fun with the Fatboy

Knucklehead

Old Biker
It's been a minute since I've posted a grow thread . Good reason for that is I haven't been growing for a while. My best pal was busted for powder & other nasty things about 3 yrs ago. I was in his tattoo shop every day , so I shut down & cleaned up. Decided after a year it was cool. Fired things back up & had an unfortunate event happen ( not grow related) with LEO in another city & they decided I was a motorcycle gang member & sat me in jail for a few months without bail. Got out & fired back up. Had a stroke in February which set me back again. Finally got a grow in & harvested. The results were mediocre by my standards , but I figured out the reasons.I needed to change the filters on my Merlin RO system. I used nutes that were 3 yrs old & let the temps run a little warmer than I should have. Fast forward to today.
The pics are from the recent grow at 34 days in bloom. New nutes & all issues fixed. Back to the old Big Ricky formula that always produced killer buds. These girls have 41 days to fatten up & frost up as I run my plants about 75 days in bloom.12 plants per 1000 watt light. Mixed bag of genetics. Choco D , Bubba x Sour Diesel, Northern Lights x Sour Diesel , SFV OG , & Original Diesel.

Attachments

• PA030049.jpg
    PA030049.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 43
  • PA030050.jpg
    PA030050.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PA030051.jpg
    PA030051.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PA030052.jpg
    PA030052.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 21
  • PA030054.jpg
    PA030054.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 44
big Ricky style huh? It looks good, whoever it is. gonna be some big colas! super nice, glad you are doing it again! :yay:

Here's what Big Ricky , (the guy has killer hair ) has to say about coco growing . I don't use perlite . Just straight Canna coco. I follow "the formula " with a few modifications.

Big Rickys coco sandwichs
this system, or method, by far out grows every method ive tried. To keep it simple, the only methods i havent tried that come to mind, are fogponics, and aeroponics(to many variables for this old thumb)
by out grow, i mean vigor, ease, and YIELD

Medium:
Botanicare coco, ammended w/
foxfarm extra chunky perlite
plant success granular myco

This medium is charged w Fnova Grow, Botanicare cal mag, hygrozyme, greenfuse root and growth stimulator, and after the charge has dried 50%, Ricky recharges w plant success liquid myco.

I layered around 2 inches of pot bottoms with fine perlite to leep fungus gnats from coming or going.....and a layer of same on top....worked like a charm. So my medium was a coco sandwich, with a perlite bun=) my coco is ammended with chunky perlite, my perlite barriers, or buns, are fine perlite.....each serves its purpose in its application.

Cloning:
Ricky clones in starter rwool cubes.
cubes are presoaked at 5.8ph w a mixture of greenfuse root stim and hygrozyme.......
these cuttings, when rooted, are added to child size party cups(mini beer cups by solo) Krome turned me on to these little wonders.....theory being, dry out times are at a maximum, so more roots, faster

Veg:
once these cups are rooted, they are slammed into 3 gallons, and watered only around the tplant, leaving the other coco around it thats unrooted, alone. As the roots progress, so does the watering zone,,,,within a week, they desire full blown waterings, every other day.
I veg under t5s a week max, and under the 3k a week max, then flip......

Pruning & Topping
i fim them after 5 nodes, i generally like to cut clones with 5 nodes, and fim them the second i feel they have a strong root base. I prune and lollipop the best i can.

Nutrients:
floranova grow and bloom
powder koolboom at 35 days,,,,no measurements, just dump by eye.
budswell and fnova big bloom, back and forth, 1 then the other and so on.
all 3 foxfarm powders- sesame, cha ching, and that other one.
liquid karma gets used, like a booty call, when Ricky needs it.
i also use a host of other products, but not in any regimen, more like highlights when needed. This part is more of an art, and all art is open to interpretation.
these are:
hygrozyme
sucanet
molasses(i do use molasses towards mid-late flower, and half way through flush.
floranectar
sm90 (i add this maybe 4 times through out a crop. Just to keep things FRESH in there.) ive used sm90 forever. Its a must in trays, and recirc.
maxicrop
dynagrow protekt silica(this is also my PHup)

i plan on try some fulvic acids, as a ph down on next crop. Maybe not though.....nothing is broke.

Watering:
i handwater, till the water dumps out, so each feed is basically a flush as well. I put tarps on the floors and tack them up to the walls, basically making a floor tray, i let all runoff stay on tarp, the plants eat it up the next day,,,without fail.
i do test runoff, it is always exactly as it went in, so i know my feeds are flushes as well. It rolls real smooth, little bit of extra work, way worth it.

Environment & Temps:
temps- we deal w some heavy heat during the day, year round. In the summer, its 95-100 outside for a good portion of the season. This makes for a style all its own, when it comes to indoor manipulaton. I use the centrl a/c, as the heartbeat.... In each room, above the center light, is a 12" hole with a air duct dumping cool air n the light hoods, on to the plants......all this plus the rooms standard vent...so two intakes per room coming straight off of the central unit. The inlines draw through the carbon scrubs, and intensify the draw on the central,,the air force is strong out of the ducts.
i set the thermo to go to 68 1 hour previous to lights on, and set it to 72 an hour after lights off......
this is mportant, as it duplicates real outdoor weather.....starting a cold room with lights on, the lights arent air cooled, and circualtion at a premium,,,this gives you slow, realistically rising temps. Like outside. And as it slowly heats up, by 11 hours of lights on, im looking at room temps of 85(perfect) on my worst heat days(outside) i never have witnessed above 85. If it did, i wouldnt care, these plants grow in the amazon for christs sake.....not in freezers.
c02- hell yeah. I ran 20 lb tanks for 15+ years,,totoing around 6 of those things got to be a pain in the back, and a real wink link in stealth, so i got off my cheap ass and got a gen 1 burner. I also have this run by a cap Fuzzy Logic. I keep the hwole house at 1200 ppm while lights on.......the FUZZY LOGIC is the main thing that was used for first time in this grow.....soooooo, id say the fuzzy logic paid for itself
i run my co2 3 feet away from my central a/c's main intake, directly under the handler,,it draws the co2 laden air in constantly, dumping it directly on the plants, via the 12" ducting above my hoods. Hope that explained it.
air circulation inside rooms- i use large oscilating fans at opposing end of rooms. In back of room, point directly at uncooled hoods,,,this air is moved in a circular fashion around room, and passes my carbon scrub, where its dispersed as fast as it can be, for another trip through the ducts, through the central, and back into the rooms......no co2 goes unused....i aslo kkep a small fan next to my ballasts(they are near the edge of my gardens footprint) i blow the heat from my ballasts along the floor through my canopy, and its recirculated by the oscilatting fans abve the canopy once it reaches the back of the room, and jons the air thats on its way out. I know that seems jumbled, but thats how i do it.

some things we just never forget...it was good talking to yas the other night bro, garden looks great as expected...nice fat frosty colas will certainly help make bank:up:...he do have his coif down to a science don't he...

for a second i thought you were talking will ferrell's ' ricky bobby' from talagaga nights. heh.

we do some things the same way than you leave me behind in the dust. i am going back to fermented earth juice and i am using maxi crop again. my grow nor my customer base is big enough to warrant using the 3 co2 tanks and the cosys i have so they sit.

you told me about your health issue and the construction biz opportunity but i didnt know the other stuff. i am so sorry you had to deal with all of that. with all that stress it is no wonder you had issues. i hope all that is behind you now.

i tried coco years ago and it killed every single plant it came in contact with. this was way back when coco had issues with salt if i remember right. since then i use straight sunshine mix. for now coco is but a distant memory in my rear view mirror. i used to use ssmix and worm castings at 20%. mixing it with a cement mixer i had.

when i got busted i sold all that stuff to help pay expenses so im back to square one. literally. im ok with that.

maybe as i get my growing feet back under me and regain a customer base i can try your ricky bobby coco mix and go with gavita de's. i am open to new an better ways of doing things. its been almost 5 years since i was busted so it is time to get involved in the technical end of things again.

your grow looks outstanding. i am jealous. glad to see you have made it back!!! i look forward to reading more about your techniques.

pi :nbf:

YOU MUST SPREAD MANNA AROUND AGAIN BEFORE YOU GIVE IT TO FATBOY AGAIN!!!!!

Last edited:
Looking great, Fatboy! Sorry to hear of all the trials and tribulations, glad to see you're back in the game.

Looking fine as frogs hair, Fatboy. Sucks about the run of bad luck. Looks like you have done this once or twice. ;) Yep I'll be tagging along.

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks . The " Big Ricky" post from above was simply a C&P from an old post . https://thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19612&highlight=Burn+ships . I just followed the formula Big Ricky/Hustlean laid out. I don't use CO2 supplementation & still manage to pull close to 3 units per 1000 of sticky buds. I'll document it in due time.
I think Boo said it once that "Growing old isn't for sissies" It's hard to spend 8-10 hrs a day babysitting multiple construction sites & take care of a garden in the evening , but it relaxes me. The plants will teach you patience & acceptance. I am not a patient person by nature , but age has helped with that. The trials & tribulations build character. I have learned to accept things that would have drove me crazy 10 years ago.
I'll try to document this & future grows to show that a simple set-up with a good environment can produce over 1 GPW of top grade buds.

Looking stellar as always Fatboy..I am also very happy you are back. You certainly have been through the runner....and yes getting old sucks. Krome was very good to me when I started out..Big Ricky as well..Both of their gardens speak for themselves as does yours..:up:

Glad to see you active, dabbling in the hobby and getting healthier. That "character" is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing you post more.

Nice brother glad too see that your back at it and rocking the house! Garden looks great and your well on your way, can't wait to see some bud shots as the weeks follow hats off to a happy harvest!:up:

Back