Forbidden Fruit x Chemdog '91

Curious to know what to expect from this one. Finishing time, botrytis resistance, etc? Would love to try it outdoors in the northeast US but not sure if the Chemdog would push the finishing time later. I had a cut of Forbidden Fruit that had dark purple flowers with bright orange hairs and it smelled like fresh tangerines or oranges. It finished mid-october. One year it got botrytis bad and the next year I put it in a more open location and it was rot free.

I'm hoping for the same, but with cherry terps haha. Popped 4 seeds and all germinated within 24 hours. Very healthy seed so far!
Just transplated into cups and will be putting them under the light today. I made a thread on here for the progress

Last edited:
Curious to know what to expect from this one. Finishing time, botrytis resistance, etc? Would love to try it outdoors in the northeast US but not sure if the Chemdog would push the finishing time later. I had a cut of Forbidden Fruit that had dark purple flowers with bright orange hairs and it smelled like fresh tangerines or oranges. It finished mid-october. One year it got botrytis bad and the next year I put it in a more open location and it was rot free.
These are always tough questions for me as I've only grown outdoors in Northern California and that doesn't translate well to many locales around the states...mid October harvest give or take a week. While Chem '91 does lousy outdoors herself, many of her hybrids have done quite well. How late can you go in your area?

These are always tough questions for me as I've only grown outdoors in Northern California and that doesn't translate well to many locales around the states...mid October harvest give or take a week. While Chem '91 does lousy outdoors herself, many of her hybrids have done quite well. How late can you go in your area?
I've been able to take things into late October most years using heavy frost cloth. It's hit or miss. Sometimes the frosts come in early October or even late September and sometimes (more and more recently) they don't come until later. Official avg. last frost date is Oct 15. More so than frost it can be the rains that take things out. That's the excitement of growing outdoors I guess. Last year I had a Strawberries and Creme that I brought in November 1 but that was way later than ever before. To sum it up, early October would be ideal but I can take things late October if I protect from frost and spray with something like Dr. Zymes to reduce botrytis. I've also found that they can take more frost than I used to think.

Back