Field testing the MedXtract Essential

Excellent work and observations as usual [MENTION=3586]Graywolf[/MENTION]. I like my source turbos, but they look like kitchen appliances compared to that unit!

Do you have a preference between the EtOH and the MedXtract at this point?

Excellent work and observations as usual [MENTION=3586]Graywolf[/MENTION]. I like my source turbos, but they look like kitchen appliances compared to that unit!

Do you have a preference between the EtOH and the MedXtract at this point?

That's the wrong question to ask an equipment designer, to whom the fish trap exists only because of the fish and because I like features of both. Compounded of course by the belief with all my arrogant engineering heart and soul that I could Monday morning quarter back them both by combining features from the two, with emulations of my own and produce a unit with broader purpose. More on that later,,,,,

Part of my function as a beta tester is to provide the manufacturer with engineering feedback and suggestions not reflected in my writeups, which I did and will watch with baitey breath to see if any are incorporated.

Both are well made and I can affirm that both manufacturers are proud of their units and believe both their approach and design superior, but they have taken two different approaches, with one adding features to support more control and the other has tried to simplify it for the common folk.

If you adjust for the difference in US and Canadian dollars, they are about the same price, so I would suggest going by the value of their features to you and vet both their customer support histories. I mention customer support because of how important it can be and because my relationship with manufacturers as a beta tester is different. That said, I have had excellent experience with Extract Craft, and the same more limited excellent experience with MedXtract.

Getting back to more later, testing vacuum stills has drawn my attention to a different area, notably culinary, and I'm designing my own test sled to experiment in those areas. Envision the modern kitchen equipped with vacuum plumbing at the stove top, so that in addition to pressure cooking to boil at higher temperature, you could cook under vacuum to lower boiling points for cooking delicate sauces, and with a condenser and trap attachment for when making brandy or reclaiming alcohol. A must in every yuppie kitchen whether it was used or not.

With modifications both the EtoH Pro and the Essential could be used for that purpose, but I didn't figure either would be happy with me hacking up their equipment for a lark on a tangent, so will build my own test sled from junk in my garage to test the concept and if successful, see if either wants to run with it.

I have also talked a Le Cordon Bleu graduate chef to working with me on the culinary part, with me furnishing the mechanics.

I am not technically inclined. And I don't really do extracts except with foods.
But seems like you have done a good comparison of the two units.
Hopefully the project gets you the invention of your engineering dreams.

I am not technically inclined. And I don't really do extracts except with foods. But seems like you have done a good comparison of the two units. Hopefully the project gets you the invention of your engineering dreams.

Dreams and schemes spring eternally from the hearts and minds of engineer's brother. I have fun either way because it's the creation that stirs the creative juices and occupies my mind, versus the soon boring revelry at the end.

The rush is when learning or understanding one new thang, or considering an old thang differently, leads to a barrage of epiphanies and eurekas! The hardware is mostly 98% just filling in the blanks with current technology and 2% creative genius.

Actually one of the things that attracted me to cannabis, was the free flow of thoughts with attendant exaggerated sense of amazement and joy at discovery! Suddenly the " Please flush" sign on the urinal takes on deep new insightful meaning.

Not so intense a sense of wonder anymore and I wish I could figure out a way to isolate, concentrate and can that cannabis property as a contribution to mankind, myself included.

I think it is wonderful. Invention and it's creative process are pretty cool.
My scientific mind works differently - I am ever the observer, analyst, anthropologist.
Technical stuff is for others to teach me. LOL

About all I could be accused of inventing are a few clever recipes.

Part of my function as a beta tester is to provide the manufacturer with engineering feedback and suggestions not reflected in my writeups, which I did and will watch with baitey breath to see if any are incorporated.

Both are well made and I can affirm that both manufacturers are proud of their units and believe both their approach and design superior, but they have taken two different approaches, with one adding features to support more control and the other has tried to simplify it for the common folk.

If you adjust for the difference in US and Canadian dollars, they are about the same price, so I would suggest going by the value of their features to you and vet both their customer support histories. I mention customer support because of how important it can be and because my relationship with manufacturers as a beta tester is different. That said, I have had excellent experience with Extract Craft, and the same more limited excellent experience with MedXtract.

Well I am currently using two of the smaller source turbos and they work quite well, but for the amount of material I have to process, a larger unit would be nice. I suppose since I already own a pump and vac chamber, the EtOH probably makes more sense. I just detest that all their support is on facebook.

Getting back to more later, testing vacuum stills has drawn my attention to a different area, notably culinary, and I'm designing my own test sled to experiment in those areas. Envision the modern kitchen equipped with vacuum plumbing at the stove top, so that in addition to pressure cooking to boil at higher temperature, you could cook under vacuum to lower boiling points for cooking delicate sauces, and with a condenser and trap attachment for when making brandy or reclaiming alcohol. A must in every yuppie kitchen whether it was used or not.

With modifications both the EtoH Pro and the Essential could be used for that purpose, but I didn't figure either would be happy with me hacking up their equipment for a lark on a tangent, so will build my own test sled from junk in my garage to test the concept and if successful, see if either wants to run with it.

I have also talked a Le Cordon Bleu graduate chef to working with me on the culinary part, with me furnishing the mechanics.

Selling high end stuff to he "gotta have it" crowd is always a good idea in my book. It's a fascinating idea TBH although at this point in my life, I've pretty much learned the timing of everything I cook and how to work around those hurdles. but I know plenty of younger people who can't grasp the concept of cooking anything for hours and hours.

"much learned the timing of everything I cook and how to work around those hurdles"

>you want the salmon and steak to finish at the same time and both be perfect..no easy task...dang love using a blowtorch on steak fat

Back