Easy SOG irrigation setup

B

BudBuddha

This scheme uses both top and bottom water uptake so it works best for small SOG applications.

First, you need a water - tight bottom tray that is level and flat so the water level is about the same for every pot.

You will need to use pots that have decent drain holes in the bottom. For this setup I use 16 - 1 gallon square plastic pots.

I used cpvc plastic pipe from Lowes and these fittings. I glued the end caps on so the water doesn't just run out the pipe end.

I assemble the pipe and fittings after I got the right pipe lengths cut so that each cross fitting sits above a pot. I don't glue it together so I can mess around with how it all sits as needed.

Then I set it all up to make sure it is right. I pour a bit of water through to make sure it comes out where it should and doesn't where it shouldn't.

OK, now it is time to add some rooted AK 47 clones and dirt, then put it all back together.

Then it is the usual drill, water, nutes, lights, timer and watching.

I put a funnel in the end to pour the water in, moving it back and forth between the 2 ends to keep things balanced.

The idea is to have the water and nutrients go into the dirt and run out the bottom of the pots. It then ponds in the tray - I get maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch in it after a watering. The plants then uptake any additional water they need through the pot bottoms.

This run was with 16 AK 47 clones from cuttings off my mom donor. Each watering took 4 gallons of water. The light is a 250 W HPS, the yield for this run was 9 & 1/2 ounces. The cabinet is about 3 foot wide by 3 foot deep by 4 foot high. Air intake is under the tray, output through the fan to a scrubber. Temps in the cabinet run about 85 degrees F, Fox Farm organic nutrients.

Total cost of the parts for the irrigation system was under $20 US. :)

very nice B.B . this is something i might be able to use . couple questions if i may ?...
i am guessing that when ya set the pipe apperatice(sp) it has to be level ? or are ya slightly angling the pipe towards the end of the run so water gets to them farthest pots evenly? seems to me that somehow ,the pots in the back get less water???????:wave:

Thanks guys. :)

You are right FC, I forgot to add that bit. :o

If you look close at the front of both pipe apparatus (I haven't tried to spell that one in a long time either) there is a piece of 1" x 2" wood under the front end. I just stuck a small piece of plasticine modeling clay under the front fitting and then pressed it down onto the piece of wood. Over a 3 foot run that is enough of a slope to carry the water through the whole length pretty evenly.

After I set it up I poured some water through to make sure it was at a good pitch before I potted up the plants.

Great idea. It also allows you to rotate your pots. Way better than a bunch of hoses and drippers. This is a great idea for for organics as well. You can do compost tea etc without worrying about drippers getting clogged. You can just wrap the pump with a screen if you want to automate it.

and here all this time I thought you were just another pretty face...it doesn't get any easier than simple 'eh...good job BB:peace:

Back