Dry Ice Hash vs Bubble hash experience?

Olday

Evening all

Is anyone here experienced with both regular bubble hash making and also dry ice hash making? I ask because I picked up a new set of bags and when I was catching up on the how tos I came across a lot of promising arguments for doing it with dry ice instead (super fast and easy, no need to dry the pucks, better yields). One if the things I’d like to go for is making temple balls and while I know the normal way works great, any differences in using the extracted from dry ice for either a rosin press or for temple balls?

Yes.

Look everybody needs to accept there is NO such thing as dry ice "hash"

Dry ice is garbage. Not to be used with cannabis or to make hash. It destroys the plant matter, instantly reducing the quality of the hash to food grade at best. Can't smoke that shit. It harsh, low potency, and not good for you you're better off smoking the whole bud.

Stop ruining weed and wasting time with dry ice. There is NO easy button or easy way to make hash correctly. Ice water washing is work but it's the best way. Sifting is more work and way less return. Dry ice has a crazy return but if you look at it closely (microscope) it it straight bunk.

Sorry to be extreme but rly trying to save folks the time as I still see some of us using dry ice.

Yes.

Look everybody needs to accept there is NO such thing as dry ice "hash"

Dry ice is garbage. Not to be used with cannabis or to make hash. It destroys the plant matter, instantly reducing the quality of the hash to food grade at best. Can't smoke that shit. It harsh, low potency, and not good for you you're better off smoking the whole bud.

Stop ruining weed and wasting time with dry ice. There is NO easy button or easy way to make hash correctly. Ice water washing is work but it's the best way. Sifting is more work and way less return. Dry ice has a crazy return but if you look at it closely (microscope) it it straight bunk.

Sorry to be extreme but rly trying to save folks the time as I still see some of us using dry ice.

Ditto, destroys the trics, blows the heads out.

That’s what I was looking to hear, I figured as easy as it is that it must be too good to be true or everyone would be doing it.

Yeah I just made bubble...........I use 70% ice, 30 % water to roughly two gallon bags of trim.
I hand stir with a painter's stick for 90 seconds.
I use the work bag, the 73 and 45 micron bags.
I let stand one hour between pulls.
2-4 pulls depending on yields.

Many times I will kief the trim first using a 90 micron bag.

Dry ice does exactly what everyone has said......it improves yield at a cost to the quality.

I Have seen some pretty nice looking dry ice hash on Facebook to be honest the extra plant material may actually be better for making temple balls helping them stick together more. But I’ve never tried it so take it with a grain of salt.
There is a Canadian guy named gnick55 I believe on thc farmer and he turns most of his product into dry sift and then presses that into bricks. You may want to check his thread out. He also gets imported hash which is what he tries to replicate. If I was in Canada I would have already asked to try some of his stuff. He’s got all his tech info let me know if you want a link.

There is a Canadian guy named gnick55 I believe on thc farmer and he turns most of his product into dry sift and then presses that into bricks. You may want to check his thread out. He also gets imported hash which is what he tries to replicate. ... He's got all his tech info let me know if you want a link.

Please do post, would love to review.

TY for your Live Rosin / Live Resin comments as well, did some research. As I understand, Live Rosin is pressed Bubble that was made using plant matter immediately frozen upon chop, preferably flash-frozen. The Bubble may be freeze-dried prior to pressing (needs to be??).
Live Resin uses fresh plant material and a solvent-based extraction.

Think several years ago had also heard of folks tinkering with fresh flash-frozen material that was then sifted under freezing conditions (in a commercial walk-in freezer). Not sure if dried in freezer first or what, but process seems to intuitively make sense and could be adapted to home freezer / chest freezer setup. Maybe something to play with later, at least make a sift unit that can fit in the freezer.

Thanks for bringing this up [MENTION=2658]Olday[/MENTION], thinking more about the processing end of things.

Please do post, would love to review.

TY for your Live Rosin / Live Resin comments as well, did some research. As I understand, Live Rosin is pressed Bubble that was made using plant matter immediately frozen upon chop, preferably flash-frozen. The Bubble may be freeze-dried prior to pressing (needs to be??).
Live Resin uses fresh plant material and a solvent-based extraction.

Think several years ago had also heard of folks tinkering with fresh flash-frozen material that was then sifted under freezing conditions (in a commercial walk-in freezer). Not sure if dried in freezer first or what, but process seems to intuitively make sense and could be adapted to home freezer / chest freezer setup. Maybe something to play with later, at least make a sift unit that can fit in the freezer.

Thanks for bringing this up [MENTION=2658]Olday[/MENTION], thinking more about the processing end of things.
Oh your good! Confuses a lot of people including me. You do not meet a freeze dryer but it helps tremendously for consists t drying results. And when you freeze dry bubble hash it comes out in powder form and very easy to work with. But it’s a lot of money to spen and I’ve seen just as nice results with the micro planning tech onto a parchement paper lined new pizza box. Or you can use a flour sifter and a spoon and kind of work the hash through the screen then you tap tap it with the spoon and it will fall onto the parchment. Learning curves for sure and I always nicked my knuckles with the the micro plainers so beware:D
I’ll find that link and get it over here.

Here what I'm currently trying doing for small scale: optimizing end product based on flower qualities .

I have just chopped down a harvest at 65 days and cut the nugs right off the branch into a bag in the freezer. Will wash with ice to make "fresh frozen" hash. Also hang drying part of the harvest for flower, rosin, and a tiny bit o sift. want to test my nuggets at the lab out of curiosity.

People call bubblehash or drysift solventless these days. "Live Resin" is made with solvents like bho or co2 whereas "Live Rosin" is solventless, made by squishing rosin from bubblehash. Good bubblehash doesn't need to be squished though. Took me so long just to figure that part out 2 lol.

Certain flower genetics can be squished without washing with ice water to make hash first, and without a freeze dryer. That's what I'm doing. Poor man's route but producing same end products. Basically we're using mechanical means to extract resins instead of solvent means, for the most part*

Big tasty pretty nugs: as flowers (fiskars my boys)
Big sandy trichome heads: freeze or hang dry then wash as bubblehash (rosin evolution bags)
Greasy trichome type heads: dry and press as rosin (low temp plates)
Sugar trim: dry sift over lpi screens (drysiftwizard)
Waste (pucks trim etc): tinctures (everclear)

Bout 3k to get all that shit setup. But from there it's the easiest most productive route I see. Wastes the least cannabinoids.

Good luck!

I've been perfecting my bubble hash technique for about 20 years now. I've never experienced any imported hash coming close in potency since the early 1970's. I mean nothing. I'd tried the dry ice method about 10 years ago, but there's no comparison. I really can't see how anyone would find the dry ice method efficient at all. Shit goes everywhere! Water hash technique removes most of the trichomes without having them flying all over you, and the garage, or room you do it in. If you look at the extracted herb with a microscope, you'll see there's still quite a few trichomes even after 3-4 washes. I usually just toss it myself. I call it sea weed. Lol. A crafty person could easily use the leftovers to make feco. I've made butter with the sea weed.

I've been perfecting my bubble hash technique for about 20 years now. I've never experienced any imported hash coming close in potency since the early 1970's. I mean nothing. I'd tried the dry ice method about 10 years ago, but there's no comparison. I really can't see how anyone would find the dry ice method efficient at all. Shit goes everywhere! Water hash technique removes most of the trichomes without having them flying all over you, and the garage, or room you do it in. If you look at the extracted herb with a microscope, you'll see there's still quite a few trichomes even after 3-4 washes. I usually just toss it myself. I call it sea weed. Lol. A crafty person could easily use the leftovers to make feco. I've made butter with the sea weed.

Any tips that you feel made the biggest difference?

Any tips that you feel made the biggest difference?

Keeping the whole shooting match cold af, we did our bubble outdoors in dec/ Jan here in the rockies. wash the resins real good with sprayer while still in bag after you shake it out.

If no freeze dryer, we would take the pucks and plane/ grind threw a noodle strainer into pizza box and let dry before pressing. Once we got a freeze dryer, product went faster and easier. I think the freeze dryer improves the color more then anything, I didn’t feel it improved the toke all that much.

Personally I prefer, pressed blocks of kief, like it was done old school. Much like my buds man, I want it all, spoon or bone, no freakin bongs washing out my toke, hate a humid hit, lol.

Having water based resin, on most sativas, it gets washed out, nice super citrus plant, just becomes hash. Prolly why hash plants tend to be more Indica, with oily resins. Flavor and aroma don’t wash out.

Then there’s the press, cheapo press is not gonna cut it, more power is a must imo, cheap press can’t push it all out without cookin it. Sasquash we had was the unit then, could press a zip at one time. Cold press bud even.

Was fun at first, never did toke much of it, and it never seemed to move well. Quit two years ago, and still have a jar full of rosin in the back of the fridge, lol. Buddy is still hard at it, he’s into the batter I guess ya call it now, he whips it, whip it good!

Back