DIY Calmag+

Green Mopho

Grower of Many Things
Since @Skitty kept asking for this one and its easy enough, might as well put it up here

Botanicare CalMag+ is 2-0-0-3.2Ca-1.2Mg-0.1Fe
@ 5ml per gallon, this will produce
26ppm N
42ppm Ca
16ppm Mg
1.3ppm Fe

We will reverse engineer this, but using magnesium sulfate (epsom) instead of nitrate, and using a 10-11% FeDTPA

As a direct tank mix, per 10 gallons:

8.4 grams Yara Calcium Nitrate
6.1 grams Epsom
0.5 grams FeDTPA

This technically is not compatible as a stock solution, because Ca and S in the same concentrated solution will precipitate, especially if trying to copy the same concentration as Botanicare. USER BEWARE: If you wanted to make a less concentrated solution with the same Ca-Mg-Fe ratios, you would have to go at about 30ml/gallon and mix the following into a gallon of stock solution:

106g Yara Calcium Nitrate
77g Epsom
7g FeDTPA

Or you could multiply these number by (6) and keep the Epsom separate, in its own gallon jug, and use both at 5ml per gallon.

Last edited:
Now, I should note, I'm not a fan of CalMag products in general, and don't believe you really need much more mag or iron. But I am happy to reverse engineer any formulas you want to throw my way.

My tap water is .8 EC, I wonder if I really need any at all Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 12.28.55 PM copy.png

Last edited:
Back