Classic and Common Phenotype Expressions

dBMachine

I wasn't sure where to post this. What are some of the common structures and phenotypes that are expressed by the classic and elite cuts? I pop everything from seed so I've never had the opportunity to work with any of the staples.

At the most basic, I know things can lean "indica or sativa." Squatty or stretchy, etc... But if someone says a plant has an "OG Kush" structure does that mean it's kind of lanky with golf-ball buds and fine or "weak" root structure? If someone says something grows like a diesel then what does that mean? What other classic or unique structures should I be familiar with?

This is just to help me describe and make sense of things when I pop seeds with a lot of variability. It's hard to tell when I'm searching pictures on google.

From what I’ve gathered from Breeders Syndicate, Potcast and forums, no hands on experience. You could go back to the more recent building blocks of Skunk 1, Haze, NL, Hashplants as starting categories to group structure. Or you could even go further back to grouping by location of origin. Making these up but what you see as OG kush structure someone else could identify as say NL structure and then be seen by someone with more experience as say Uzbekistan landrace. I guess it depends where you want to start your categorizations on the timeline of cannabis genetics.

I
I wasn't sure where to post this. What are some of the common structures and phenotypes that are expressed by the classic and elite cuts? I pop everything from seed so I've never had the opportunity to work with any of the staples.

At the most basic, I know things can lean "indica or sativa." Squatty or stretchy, etc... But if someone says a plant has an "OG Kush" structure does that mean it's kind of lanky with golf-ball buds and fine or "weak" root structure? If someone says something grows like a diesel then what does that mean? What other classic or unique structures should I be familiar with?

This is just to help me describe and make sense of things when I pop seeds with a lot of variability. It's hard to tell when I'm searching pictures on google.
I would do a deep dive into the forums and start by looking for grows of a particular type of plant (kush, haze, diesel, etc…) grown by a reputable and good grower. You can then get a general idea of their structures.
I struggled (and still do) with tastes and smells of things like haze or kush. I never had the ability to get real kush clones or herb, same with haze. So I never knew what people meant when they said it tastes like kush or smells like kush, or it smells like haze.
It’s wasn’t until recently that things are opening up legally that I became familiar with baseline stuff like TK, SSH, Chem91 , Chem D.
Good luck with your research.

Back