Cannabis use & anesthesia

sticky is as sticky does
This is from the Prof of Pot newsletter. I thought it would be useful knowledge for anyone who needs general anesthesia (like for a colonoscopy, surgery, etc.).
In question -> What constitutes a "regular user" of cannabis? Is that someone who gets high every weekend, or someone who gets high every day, or someone who does dabs all day long? We'll have to assume that means at least a daily user. In my case, I have been a twice or more daily user for years, and my doctors have never commented on the amount of anesthetic they used. Next time I'll have to ask.

"CANNABIS USE & ANESTHESIA

Anesthetics such as propofol are used for general anesthesia (completely knocking someone out) as well as a sedative for procedures such as endoscopies. It is often given in combination with benzodiazepines and opiates.

We know that regularly taking certain types of drugs can result in a cross-tolerance to these agents and change the dose that is required to maintain the correct level of sedation. So what about THC?

A new retrospective study saw that regular cannabis users required over twice as much propofol for adequate sedation as non-users. These results are consistent with some case studies, an animal study, and a prospective clinical study. Regular cannabis use is emerging as something that anesthesiologists should be aware of."

https://mailchi.mp/fb9ef9155392/cannabis-use-anesthesia

Most interesting! I wonder if there's any correlation to other anesthetics. Such as Ketamine. Hmmmm......

When I had my hip replaced in my mid-30s, I made sure to look my anesthesiologist right in his eyes and tell him I had a history of very high tolerance to most drugs, before he administered the local prior to the spinal. I made it very clear that I would be looking for him afterwards if the levels were not sufficient. I think they must hear that a lot because he kind of chuckled at first, but I think he realized I was serious when I didn't even crack a smile...he lost his humor and reassured me he would be closely monitoring the affects on me. Everything went fine.:)

When I had my brain transplant, the doctor had to use 4x the meds they normally use because of all the pain meds I'd been on for years. J/K about that.... it was for a colonoscopy. He wasn't happy though when he'd already dosed me, and I said "Hey doc! I've had my head up my ass all my life, but it never looked like that!", as I was watching the video monitor. Then he upped the dose, and told me to shut up!

last june i had surgery and the day before surgery the surgical nurse called me to go over what not to take prior to coming in and i told her i use cannabis daily and im probably consume more than most and she got nervous and had to consult the anesthesiologist then call me back. i was told to not use any more and having to go 16 hr w/o anything for spasms was a major pain....spasms in my legs, stomach, arms, fingers and my back were constant. whatever they did worked b/c the surgery lasted 4 hrs and it felt like 15 min.

A buddy who is a daily smoker recently complained that he had pain during general anesthesia for an angioplasty and was semi aware of what was going on - interesting to know about this.

Reactions: 180
Have a similar effect with novacaine. Always need the second shot to not feel the pain as dentist grinds away on my teeth.

Kurious

Nothing like remembering saying "get your Mother F#cking hands off of me " and waking up to deep bleeding fingernail marks in both arms. They wouldn't let me see the video and stated You really don't need to see that! Sent shivers down my spine the way the Dr. said it....

The Dr. did fix my shoulder and to this day have never had a problem with it. (2002)

I had to have emergency surgery after being stabbed through the hand and severing a tendon. Doctor told me afterward that my BP spiked and I started thrashing on the table. They had to stop the procedure, stabilize my BP and resedate me. I have some foggy memories, thought they were cutting off my hand.

I kid you not..this is a true story and I'm one of the most sane people you ever met " haha sort of " but showed me how the brain can play tricks on you..
had to go into the hospital for major small intestine surgery since it was blocked..the pain was unbelievable and they had me on some kind of IV morphine for 4 days while the doctor tried to figure out if the surgery was necessary..
I told them I like to drink and told them I like a couple of shots of bourbon, a beer or 2 and a glass of wine for dinner but after 4 days in the hospital I was as dry as a bud of 8 year old Cred..
finally the day came and I went into a 4 hour surgery..
as it turns out when I woke up all I remember was this nurse yelling at me and I grabbed her by the throat and tried to choke her..I had to be restrained but don't recollect that..the next thing I remember was waking up and looking around..
I was on some kind of space ship..I knew I was in the ICU but somehow I had been kidnapped by aliens and they were transporting me to their planet..I don't know for how many days this lasted because I'd wake up and then pass out again from the drugs..finally I came back to reality and then I thought the nurses had a conspiracy against me and were going to send in guys in white suits to take me away to the nut house..this scared me the most and all I could do was rationalize what I should do if that happened..losing track of time and after 2 weeks in the ICU they finally moved me to a hospital room..they had me pumped up on Oxy even though I still had the IV in..so after 4 weeks of hell I got sent home after tubes down my throat and nose and a tube pulled out of my stomach to feed me got pulled out..I had so many needles stuck into me they couldn't find anymore veins..
you can't believe how good it felt to be back home in my own bed..
so I decided to do some research..I called the hospital and wanted a full report..it took them 4 months to give it to me and I discovered that the anesthesiologist screwed up and put me into a deeper stage 4 knockout and that the hospital tried to cover it up and blamed it on my drinking..since then I've had 4 hernia operations and 2 cataract surgeries and I've been very explicit to the anesthesia doctor not to put me to far under..maybe I could of sued them but I got better things to do..

When I was in the icu for 22 days unconscious I was the star in a sci-fi movie, had al kinds of tubes all over, going in and outta my body, they were all hooped around my head and shoulders. I was in a hospital bed with a keyboard on my lap. I was typing out all kinds of commands and directives running the world, every time I’d type the lime green fluid flowing thru the tubes would pulsate and change colors. Best trip I ever had, intense real life shit, lol.

Back