Canna Coco

BCW1

Great Lakes Med user
Went Friday and picked up probably for than I need but this happens when your a Sam's Club buyer and ay $15 bucks a bag which I believe my buddy said 1 bag will do 10 gal? I grabbed 8 bags.

I forgot what I use to use but back in the day it came in a brick. I know it was the better coco out there at the time as it was rinsed well to rid the salts but this time I went with the bags of Canna I am pretty sure that is what it is anyway. It is already shredded or loose and not in a compressed brick. Suppose to be triple rinsed and some added Cal Mag to it?

Anyone using this brand and have any thoughts on it? My plan is to pop some seeds and then run them in the coco for a bit and then either stay with the coco and do the passive hydroponics method or transfer them to DWC this is undecided and starting from seed I have the time. Maybe I will do both who knows.

More than likely this will be one of my home threads for a while as I need to refresh my skills and knowledge on PH levels coco prefers and all the basics really.

Thanks and have a great day!

what nutes do you plan on using? as far as CaMg goes, 10mls/gallon until the stretch is over and then i dial it back to about 5. pH up to 6 in veg, then closer to 5.5 in flower. i like to keep the coco moist like a sponge but not sopping. :salut:

Last edited:
I use botanicare? It comes in a square bail and takes 5 gallons of water to rehydrate it.

Canna is the best quality coco that I've used, never had an issue with it in the past 5 years.

They actually sell canna bricks too if u prefer, same quality as the bags, just add water ;)

I'm actually trying out some new coco myself. Got a killer deal on California substrates bags...I really like it so far, seems just as high quality as the canna and easier to break up. It also drains a little better than canna but I'm not sure how that will shake out. Gonna transplant into the cali substrates coco in a couple days, hope it's as good as it looks.

Anyway, u shouldn't have any trouble if it is CANNA. No washing or charging is needed, it's good to go right out of the bag ;) Best of luck!

Take care and stay safe

guerilla

15 bucks is a good price on the canna. Been using it forever and have tried a few others. I keep coming back to the canna though. PH anywhere from 5.8 to 6.2. 5.8 for the youngins and 6.0- 6.2 in flower.

east - Im not sure. probably Flora or Flora Nova Lucas or Big Ricky. but Im not sure. If I say Coco I will do some more diligence. At the end before I took a break I was using Humbolt products and may go back to that? not sure if anyone had calculated a lucas type ratio with that yet but then Canna has their own line of ferts so I am undecided and open to any suggestions. But probably gonna go with Flora or Flora Nova. Unless I decide to go 100% organic

Hey Dr. yes it says this PH balanced and looks like it is on the higher end of coco. I will take word from the wise and keep my PH stable thanks for the input!

guerilla - Thanks man yeah that was a question I was going to ask is if I should rinse it again or more and if there was anything I should do. So once I pop seeds and put them in the Coco you think I wont need to do anything but water for a couple weeks or when should I start feeding them with this cococ? So thanks and good luck with your trial of the new brand?

Hey brother Herby yeah man my buddy has owned one of the largest supply stores in my area for years and I think I was his second customers ever. I use to go in and out of buildings to stay incognito getting to his store that was in a multi business building. Man has he turned his stores into an empire. Needless to say he isn't really working anymore. Sitting back collecting the cash. He was very smart to start them when he did even though back then it was highly illegal for what most people were buying the equipment for.

Canna is the industry benchmark, pre loaded with Trichoderma and ph balanced, you're in good stuff

I've consistently got better results by staying at the same ph for the whole life cycle, my feelings are the root zone is stable and doesn't have to adjust to the change from veg to flower

I settled on 6.2 as being the sweet spot, that a multiple feeds as early as possible will pay you back big time

Last edited:
Hey BC, I have never had to do anything extra with canna, runoff always starts out really low ec and although i feed more Cal mag as with any coco medium, nothing special needs to be done to get it ready.

For seeds I'd suggest to start with a normal, light feeding at about 250-350ppm with 2-3ml per gallon of Cal mag. Once they establish roots, slowly increase the feeding to about 500ppm, then to about 750-850 once they're into their normal veg cycle.

I also agree with Bush Dr. about the pH...gotta treat it like hydro as opposed to soil in that regard. I personally stay between 5.8 and 6.0 with coco, but keeping the pH swings to a minimum is key to a great crop ;)

guerilla

Thanks guerilla

Yeah my last coco run I ran 5.5-5.8 is similar with DWC. I will wait to feed until I feel the tap root has started to branch out and then start a mild feel but really I am potentially just using coco as my starting medium (which dam forgot to grab some rubber dirt cubes)

I am undecided on whether I will use coco and keep them as I did have fast negative growth when I ran a few coco crops but still a little less growth speed than DWC. I would have to rate DEC over passive feeding in coco but it is a close second.

I still have a ways to go. Popping seeds today and will be doing some painting in the room today in between watching football. I still have some room prep to do.

You will be seeing me here doing research and posting pics and harvesting knowledge.

I may just keep this first round in coco it may be much easier to get up and going. I basically have everything I need except for ferts, and all of my HID's which I am not sure what to use yet. I bought 4 4 foot LED "Floro" type fixtures and I bought 4 regular cool white fixtures and 1 LED strip but it is the wrong damn voltage it is 24 volt so may have to exchange this one but I plan on alternating the LED style floro's and the regular 4 ft floro's cool white and Monday will use some of out pretty cool automation bracketing products to fasten them all together so 8 four footers are 1 unit and I bought some of those quick height adjustment ropes for the 4 corners. Prob use that to veg to second node and then start getting them acclimated to HID's.

On nice days like we have been having I have a pretty cool secret spot on my roof that gets full sun all day and I plan to use the sun while we still have sun as well but I worry some about bugs.

I have never had issues inside with mites. Living out in the fruit orchards I had some gnat issues once and a while and then some weird tiny gnat/moth type bug that seemed to come from my drainage system. I have never seen then anywhere else in my life except here. They are very small about the size of a gnat and when you kill one or smash it, it like turns into a powder and that is why I say gnat/moth because moths had that powdery substance like on its leaves like butterflies.

I have PM once in all my grows on a Bogglegum mother but it went away as quick as it came after a milk treatment and then a PH's water and baking soda or powder I forget now but ph'd to as neutral as possible so 7. I read that PM doesn't like growing on PH neutral surfaces

One grow in my hoop house greenhouse I did have 1 plants that had some webs and mites but need and tobacco juice seemed to do the trick and I had 1 cola that got bud mold because it was a Mental Floss plant that was hard to get to and it was always touching the plastic so I cut the rot off and moved it and good to go.

So I have been pretty lucky. When I took my break I consulted with a couple people and helped them get set up and gave the sort of the ten commandments if you will of growing with security being #1 but another not to accept cuts from anyone who you really don't know much about their growing skills and man I have seen some major infestations at one of my friends when he took in some cuts of Blackwater I believe it was or Backwoods but lol ufff his plants and buds where disgusting looking covered in mites.

Anyway thanks again and have a awesome day my friends

I use the canna nutes as well brother. good stuff and easy to use.
For the babies I use the canna start. 15ml per gal along with the rizotonic also at 15 ml per gal. Ph'ed to 5.8
Once they start taking off I switch over to the A&B at 5-7 ML per gal. Just watch the plants and adjust accordingly.

Here's a link to their grow schedule

file:///C:/Users/canadianspc/Documents/downloads_grow-schedule-postcard_coco.pdf

Ya that's the big decision use the Flora series like I have in the past in coco with great results or switch to Canna bran or something else.

Not sure if I can find my old thread or not but when Roots and Humboldt came out my buddy who owns the best shop in MI IMO hooked me up to do a side by side. I really liked the Roots products and the Humboldt but the Humboldt line gets complex. At the time I was raising honey bee's and was using molasses and real honey to finish the crops off.

Now with Lucas only needing the bloom and not the micro anymore hard to get any more simpler. I will do my diligence and when I decide I will know that I did my home work and be happy with it and from there is nothing stopping me from trying any brand.

One hesitation on using GH products is the affiliation with one of the most crooked company around Scott's and which has incorporated itself with the biggest GMO corps in the world who is ruining the worlds seed and agricultural food chain.

I was discussing just vegetable gardens and our food supply and seeds sold on massive scale to farmers like corn and soy and others alike with guys at work and all these new baby's they are having and even other friends and friends of friends all having a similar rare digestive disease like my middle daughter has who may have been born at what I call perfect timing to catch these food allergen diseases. But all these new kids are being born with Gluten issues. My daughter doesn't have gluten issues it is something even more rare of a disease and I forget what it is called but who the hell heard of gluten when we were growing up? I never heard of it until 7 years or so ago. It seems to be like the autism epidemic was 10 years ago or so.

Ehhh, getting off subject my brain likes to wander and it opens up to many doors which I feel I have to expound on but hope it is all good and understandable : )

Thanks again my friends and have a great week ahead!

Ps. Herby yes $15.00 a bag is a great deal. I believe in store without a discount they sell for $23.00. I generally get 25-30% off anything over $250 and under that I get a straight 35% off. I did some wrought Iron fabrication decorative work for his stores and being one of his first customers who have brought and sent 30+ people to his shops and when my buddy was alive who owned The Orbit Room and Cellar Door Company's which was a Rock concert promotion company I use to hook him up with tickets all the time, Radio Head, Ozzfest, Tool whatever he wanted lol. I never once asked for any discount it is just what friends do is hook each other up without keeping score if you know what I mean. Greed and friendship cannot coexist. A friend gives from the heart and those who have been given to are to be gracious, humble and appreciative. And I have always appreciated him. He knows if he needs something fabricated or if he needs a helping hand I will do everything I can to be there and that goes for all my friends. Both here and here!

Last edited:
Cana Coco is the good stuff. Canna makes good nutes to coco. AN has a coco line as well. I use the Jungle Juice 2 part with only the hobbyist level nutes and get great results

Same here GMD, I run the jungle juice at the same rates as H3ads coco formula (6ml micro + 9ml bloom per gallon) with what IMO was better results than GH Floranova bloom. I also have used canna and H&G bases with good to great results.

Just got the greenstone full line to test so I'm giving the jungle juice a break for a bit. Still loving the cali substrates coco so far too.

Take care and stay safe

guerilla

Okay so I am going to go with the Canna line ferts. What all do you suggest I buy from those who have experience using Canna products.

Im not big into all the additives unless they are proven.

Do I still need Cal/mag with Canna? Canna is not 100% organic correct?

I assume everyone here has grown in soil? I am not saying this is the same for all soil growers but for me growth rates are much sower than DWC and passively feeding in coco would everyone of most agree? I am sure there are some soil growers that are dialed in that achieve much faster rates than I ever did with Foxfarm soils and Roots and my own blend at one time so there is no doubt in my mind that there are some out there who is very experienced with soil and have their own program and who knows they may achieve similar growth rates especially in veg as some of us do in hydro but again for me it was a slow process. I want to say for me growth rates were 3:1 vs soils.

I would love to grow 100% organic again like we use to outdoors in horse shit and fertile farm soil but from my experience soil is a bit more of an art than hydro. it is all art in my mind but soil is a bit more complex as the assimilation process is a bit different and sometimes it is hard to manage the salt levels for me it was anyway. I didn't know if I was flushing too much taking vital nutrients from the plant or sometimes no flushing enough.

So if someone has the time and would like to make a list of what I should buy in the Canna line and how much you are using and what a good regimen is I would be grateful. Do you step outside the Canna product line at all for any reason like for foliar feeding at all? I use to use some teas in mid veg stages like work castings and hit them once in peak veg with some Epsom but maybe I don't need to do this.

i only use CaMg and the base...

canna-coco.jpg

canna coco is great stuff. Been using it for years. Snactuary coco is my other go to when i can find it - bigger bag for same money.

I've been running AN with coco for years and love it. I rarely ever have to add cal mag

I use canna aswell but use their cogr nutes, straight ab + silicium nothing more with mixed ro/tap water (0.2ec).

I use calmg at a low ratio of about 2ml/gal on average but some strains definitely benefit from higher levels, up to about 4ml/gal, such as OGs or heavier feeders.

I'd hold off on supplements until u get your regiment figured out, but they can definitely add to the yield and quality when used right.

Best of luck

guerilla

Same here GMD, I run the jungle juice at the same rates as H3ads coco formula (6ml micro + 9ml bloom per gallon) with what IMO was better results than GH Floranova bloom. I also have used canna and H&G bases with good to great results.

Just got the greenstone full line to test so I'm giving the jungle juice a break for a bit. Still loving the cali substrates coco so far too.

Take care and stay safe

guerilla

I run the Jungle Juice 2 part - it's the old pre-pH perfect Sensi line branded as Jungle Juice.

Back