Canadian government threatens Med patients

Dr.Smitty

Always thinking of Simple
Federal government threatens to share medicinal marijuana patient information with law enforcement

by Travis Lupick on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Health Canada has warned it will share with law enforcement the private information of citizens in lawful possession of medicinal marijuana unless they comply with a new order within six weeks’ time.

Today (March 14), the federal government posted a notice online stating that medicinal-marijuana licence holders are required to destroy all marijuana they have and provide written notice stating that they “no longer possess marijuana (dried marijuana, plants or seeds) obtained under the old program”.

“If participants do not comply with the requirement to notify Health Canada, the Department will notify law enforcement,” the release states.

Licence holders have until April 30, 2014, to meet the terms of the order.

Another Health Canada website provides vague details on the consequences of not complying with the new directive.

"The Department will take compliance and enforcement action," it states. "This includes informing law enforcement of your failure to notify Health Canada as required under section 259.3 of the MMPR. In addition, the Department will continue to cooperate with police, and provide information needed to protect public safety, as appropriate."

A “notification form” is available for download on the Health Canada website.

There are more than 16,500 British Columbians licensed to possess medicinal marijuana.

When the Conservatives’ new Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulation takes effect on April 1, licence holders will only be allowed to purchase dried cannabis via mail order.

The Health Canada directive issued today—on a Friday afternoon when government officials know media outlets are least likely to report it—contradicts information included in a September 2013 briefing note prepared for B.C. Attorney General and Minister of Justice Suzanne Anton.

“Health Canada, citing privacy concerns, does not intend to disclose the addresses of former licensed grow operations once they are no longer permitted to legally grow marijuana,” that memo states.

It’s unclear what has changed that has led Health Canada to believe it can turn over the information of citizens licensed to possess medicinal marijuana without violating individuals’ privacy.

For months, Health Canada has refused the Georgia Straight’s repeated requests for an interview on the topic of the new rules governing medicinal marijuana. A message left today requesting clarification on the March 14 notice was not returned.

In a media release, Sensible B.C. campaign director Dana Larsen called for demonstrations against the Health Canada order.

“Patients across Canada registered with Health Canada in good faith, to protect themselves against arrest for cultivating their own medicine,” Larsen said in the release. “Now they are being threatened with police action if they don’t destroy their perfectly good medication.”

Sensible B.C. has scheduled a “day of action” in protest of Health Canada’s threat to share patients’ information. Events are planned for April 1.

“We are going to flood [Health Minister] Rona Ambrose’s office with thousands of phone calls and emails from our supporters, to let her know that the Canadian public won’t stand for these changes,” Larsen said. “With these unnecessary new rules, Health Canada is causing great harm to medical cannabis patients all across the country.”

You can follow Travis Lupick on Twitter at twitter.com/tlupick.

Source URL: http://splashurl.com/q97davs

Gee.

I wonder if Trudeau will get the MMJ patients votes? I'll be that there are lots of Canadians that wish the election was today.

Sadly we are moving backwards until we oust Harper and the Harperites. Health Canada shoujld think twice about revealing the names of all the growers.They are already facing a violation of privacy situation when they mailed out the white envelopes about the end of the current medical Marijuana program.Every envelope had in clear letters Canadian Medical Marijuana program exposing every user and grower to anyone that handled the envelope....a direct violation of privacy.

unreal , hope this gets heavy resistance n challenged . countries shout their all for freedom but truth in their actions leave lot to be questioned ... good luck to our Canadians friends the battle never ends it seems

Relax folks...we have a great attorney leading the Constitional fight, with a 1/2 dozen strong arguments that he will make on Tuesday. :exactly:

This is a Constitional challenge, they do not get settled in 10-12 days. The sitting judge will almost be bound to grant the motion for a "stay" until the case is settled. We've been down this road before many times, albeit not so close, but the courts have always sided with us when HC is challenged at the Constitional level. :stop:

Par for the course has been, judge will rule MMAP unconstitutional and give HC 1 year to fix their clusterfuk or MJ becomes legal. :)

I can't urge enough for peeps to STOP stressing over this. Some things will prolly change in Canada with MMJ, but caselaw says we must have "reasonable access" to MMJ (life or liberty). Under the new system it's easy to prove "reasonable access" will be removed...and that's not gonna fly under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 7. :rog:

prob is who wants to be the "poster child"...........................

I hope they get this worked out.............................

ganj on Canada.....!

My heart just sunk as I read that and relax is far from my mind now... except I have 6 weeks after to hide my stash/seeds/pollen and the maybe the rest of my life to watch my ass closer then ever :( .

Last edited:
To hell with Harpers Hell Canada !

Sensible BC sets sights on federal health minister

Vancouver, BC, Canada / (CKNW AM) AM980
Shane Woodford

March 14, 2014 07:41 pm

Marijuana advocacy group Sensible BC is planning to cause federal health minister Rona Ambrose some headaches on the day new medical pot rules kick in.

Dana Larsen says Health Canada is threatening to “narc” out medical marijuana users who as of April first will no longer be able to grow their own cannabis.

Larsen says Sensible BC is planning a day of action on April one.

“We are encouraging people all across Canada who care about this issue to call and fax and email Rona Ambrose the minister of health on April first and we are hoping to get 10,000 people calling her and messaging her and letting her know that Canadians believe that patients who need medical cannabis should have cheap access to it and not be forced to get it from these big corporations.”

He says the changes will push medical marijuana users back underground growing weed with no oversight, control, or regulation.

“And they had a modicum of that with the medical marijuana program. They could have dealt with all of the concerns about patients growing their own cannabis with some inspections and some regulations but instead they chose to go the absolute prohibition route. Turn over all cultivation to these big corporations who are going to be selling it at very high prices and they are really getting jacked by the system and it is not fair.”

As of April 1st medical marijuana users legally allowed to grow their own pot now will not be able to and have been told to destroy their crop and equipment.

What is sad their petition is struggling to make 10,000 . Since I signed on days ago we only gained few hundred and growing rather slowly .
Out of how many legal growers ?
You would think we would hit the # it just days not weeks :(

16,500 British Columbians licensed to possess medicinal marijuana
hmmm

Last edited:
Back