Calling Sativa Lovers Searching for “That High”

Olday

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I can grow that would fill my head stash with strains that aren’t easy to come by at the dispensary and as I do like that trippy upbeat notion for my daytime and weekend tokes, I saw the news about Dr Grinspoon’s passing and when looking at his namesake strain I got the motivation to grab a pack for this winter - pretty much what caught my eye were the things that would send people away - 14-16 week flower, low yield and poor bag appeal, but the description of “That High” was enough to say yes, and as their might be a run on the seeds with the news, they are on their way (attitude so clearly they may take a while to get here with covid, but I have time.

To add to the list in the shot below (the ones at the bottom are freebies - I have another couple of Panama x Genius I can try as well (popped 3 before but they were all male)

So my question is - What have you grown for headstash, what was worth it and what wasn’t?

Does it have to be landrace or close to it to go and what regions do you think bring the best - I’ve asked a little and the SE Asian and South American ones seem to get the nod, but where to begin is a bit rough and I’d love to be able to learn from others successes and failures as these are long run times to have to go at it the hard way

Here is what is on the way, primary purchase was the Grinspoon, but grabbed a handful of mix and match singles as well.

B71A4A43-7055-431C-B40F-E6316120A18E.jpg

prob always had was tending latitude diff from orgin......once in a vintage season would give good example...but for most part never acquire the highs.......need altitude at equator .....

recently Mekong High is very nice uplifting..put a smile on your day kinda high....and finishes this far north..36+NL ...... cut through most any sedation.....made hyb’s with.........many lean Mekong...but sweeter....

best in search senor.......ganj on....

If you can keep a plant healthy for 18 to 20 weeks give a straight haze a try, not a easy task. I’ve grown many different landrace sativa lines, sativa mixes, and many hybrids, and for me, grown indoors, nothing is better then haze. Much like any line, you have to go thru a few, 30 females should produce a good one. Just get um about 8 inches tall and flip um, they will flower when there ready. Count your flower time from the very first hair ya see. Use fairly good size pots, slightly hot soil will get you to the end. Otherwise you won’t have any foliage left well before there done, adding N with sallies midway thru flower tends to blow um out and ya end up with nothin but foxtails. It’s a tap dance for sure. The reward is well worth it, imo

also flowering at 11 hrs on helps them stay in flower..

the thing about good sativas is the lack of sedation..any crosses to wld its prob gonna be there

even in pure nld's its hard to find little or no sedation...20 weeks is too long for me generally

cbf's haze cross was good and shorter flower

..but this ohaze may take that long..

the panama i grew was 16 weeks prob and very good

they are less thc than the resin filled smelly wld's but somehow i get higher..those big time wld's do not seem to do not for me

just harvested the colombian red..will up date on the high but early sample was good

smoked amnesia haze last week..nah

also flowering at 11 hrs on helps them stay in flower..

the thing about good sativas is the lack of sedation..any crosses to wld its prob gonna be there

even in pure nld's its hard to find little or no sedation...20 weeks is too long for me generally

cbf's haze cross was good and shorter flower

..but this ohaze may take that long..

the panama i grew was 16 weeks prob and very good

they are less thc than the resin filled smelly wld's but somehow i get higher..those big time wld's do not seem to do not for me

just harvested the colombian red..will up date on the high but early sample was good

smoked amnesia haze last week..nah

Yes Melon :) the Strawberry Hill was a good outcross to Haze, I keep three haze lines, THOHaze, the Dutchman’s, and.... dang it I can’t spit it out, but he claims to have the earliest original around, and it’s a wild one. I personally prefer THOHaze, easier to grow, produces a tighter sativa bud, and has lots of purple in the line, with a high percentage of females in a population(70% or better)

There are more than a couple on that list that i've been curious about. I've only sampled a couple of KaliMist crosses, and they were probably from the older version, so not much help. I always liked the high on the KM crosses, but thought that they were harsh on the throat. Didn't need to toke much, tho!

They all sound great. I prefer Thai and Vietnamese poi.

You want the natural oily roach....such as this one from Asian Beauty.

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 8
I have some Asia Beauty if you'd like to try some. The breeding effort was right on. Numerous males and females were used.

The key to breeding is keeping diversity. If you do the onesys of single male or female, then you could lose the potent ones. The potent ones are there for Asian Beauty, though you need to hunt for it. She comes in at a decent flower time too. Some females finished a little more than some hybrid indicas.

All this talk of Asian strains has me jonseing for some of the strains I smoked in 70-71. I’ve been hooked on sativas ever since.

prob always had was tending latitude diff from orgin......once in a vintage season would give good example...but for most part never acquire the highs.......need altitude at equator .....

recently Mekong High is very nice uplifting..put a smile on your day kinda high....and finishes this far north..36+NL ...... cut through most any sedation.....made hyb’s with.........many lean Mekong...but sweeter....

best in search senor.......ganj on....

I'm 100% with BF..its all about where its grown..you just can't duplicate that indoors or in the Northern hemisphere..you might get close but no cigar..

I'm 100% with BF..its all about where its grown..you just can't duplicate that indoors or in the Northern hemisphere..you might get close but no cigar..

yup, geophra[hic location has much to do with it. the higher the elevation you go, the high changes. Makes me think of the colorado stuff i tried a few years ago that was grown at much higher elevation. Ridiculous high but only lasted 45 minutes to an hour.

not my pics above.....

not sure I’ve experienced same Guy.........some of better crops were at 5000’+ele in southern Sierra’s......but higher sativa % went down in quality if not coming in before cold....

lotsa hyb seed made w/Olday.....used a Jalabad Star male on one cut......

ganj on......

Back in the 70s when the market was flooded with good Columbian they'd just hang it out in the sun from trees that gave it its red color..thus Cred..the weather there and high altitude makes a difference..you would think the humidly would make it moldy but in higher altitude the weather is dryer and the sun more intense..

lowland or highland.......had good from both......depends where/when....but altitude at the equator......as good as it gets......

Don't tell anyone,but I have a couple Jariilas,and a couple Ethiopians started outdoors.Started First Lady seeds twice,and both keeled over upon emergence.That was a major bummer as I was really looking forward to trying that one.Thought maybe I might get really lucky and get to try a Jamaican hybrid,but maybe that will come later.I probably have my hands full already.Guess I'll be finding out. :D

Back