Bubble cloners?

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
I seem to be having some difficulty with my cloner that uses a spinner.(like a sprinkler head).The doggone thing slows down <usually overnight> and is barely working in the morning,so I am tempted to build up a bubble cloner.As I understand it,the clone is not submerged in the water,but that the mist created by the bubbles keep the clones wet?

I really need to get this problem fixed.I have changed out the spinner,but the problem persists.

I may just go ahead and order a pump and a couple airstones now,so that they get here before the end of this coming week.

the clone is not submerged in the water,but that the mist created by the bubbles keep the clones wet?

ezcloners use spray jets to intermittently mist the stems.
747438-01.jpg

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/product/turboklone-replacement-parts

As a replacement for the spinner I am currently using? How do those work? How is the intermittent operation controlled?Is that an operation of the misting head itself?

What I like about the bubble cloner,is that all you need is a pump and airstones.Nothing to plug or fail...except the pump I suppose.

I really appreciate the help...but I just want a simple cloner to root a coupe of cuts.

That's why I thought a bubbler would fit the bill.

Personally , I`ve never had much luck with bubbler cloners . Way better luck with an aero cloner . Good luck !
peace

Personally , I`ve never had much luck with bubbler cloners . Way better luck with an aero cloner . Good luck !
peace

I hear ya burnie.

I have read reports both good and bad...for all types of cloners.The advantage to bubble is...simplicity.Simplicity don't mean squat tho if it isn't effective.I know this...I'd be inclined to stick with what works,but my cloner seems to be turning on me. :)

Sounds like the spinner has got either a bit of calcium or some sludge in it

Give it a soak in some lime scale remover and see if it works OK

Any pics?

It's a brand new spinner...I gave it a thorough scrutinization before I used it.

I have no idea why it is acting up like this Doc.It has always worked flawlessly for me.I feel no resistance,and the water is clean.I always use a nylon stocking around the pump inlet to screen the incoming water, so I removed that thinking that maybe it was impeding the pressure.It made no difference.I will say that it has not stopped spinning,but it has slowed down.

The pump works fine as well.Can't figure it out.

Attachments

• Cloner.JPG
    Cloner.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 7
I suppose if you maybe shaved some graphite off and then rubbed it in the stem of the spinner it might work.I did a small application of vegetable oil.I noticed no difference.

I guess I could upgrade to a larger pump to improve the rotation of the spinner,but sheesh....I don't know if there is even a place to buy a pond pump here locally.Maybe off Ebay.

i've tried bubble cloners and they didn't like me. You saw how I clone. Damp coco in a cup with coco dampened with nute solution. big cup on top. take the big cup off after a few days, if the cut wilts, the big cup goes back on. If it doesn't, it stays off till i see roots.

good luck

Slim, how big is your pump?
If you are looking to replace, check out pet supply places

I may have to upgrade to a higher capacity pump.This same model pump has served me without issue for years.No idea why it is acting up now...but it sure acts like it is just on the weak side.Maybe I just got one that doesn't measure up.

Yes on the pet supply stores too.

i've tried bubble cloners and they didn't like me. You saw how I clone. Damp coco in a cup with coco dampened with nute solution. big cup on top. take the big cup off after a few days, if the cut wilts, the big cup goes back on. If it doesn't, it stays off till i see roots.

good luck

I tend to stick with what works for me,until it doesn't anymore.I'm tempted to just Dip and Grow the cuts,and plunk them into soil.Or maybe a couple and see what happens.I think tho,that these will root..just taking longer than normal.

At least that is what I am hoping.

Fountain pumps and capacities?

I have about decided to go with a higher capacity pump.I know that many of these fountain pumps have the option to adjust flow.I like that idea,but is there a point where too much limitation would have a negative effect on the pump?If I were to buy a 350GPH,but then throttle it back to 100GPH,would that shorten the life of the pump do you imagine?

I'm just thinking that I might use the pump for another application down the road which might need a higher flow rate.

If ya` need a 100 gph , get a 100 gph . Yeah , restricting flow will easily shorten life ....plus probably raise water temp due to extra heat from restricting it . IMO , I wouldn`t do it .
Something else about cloners ....seems everyone now runs theirs 24/7 . When years ago I bought one of Dcyans units ( the one Uni posted a pic of ) , D recommended either 15 min on , 15 min off . Or 30 on , 30 off . I think maybe I had slightly better results with the on/off trick . He explained as when waters off ....made plants put out roots quicker to find water quicker . Still sorta` makes sense . Justa` thought .
peace

Where did you get your spinner?
You do know there are two types, low pressure and high pressure.
If you shopped at Home Depot or Lowes, chances are you got the high pressure (landscaping) spinners. Buy one at a hydro store (low pressure) for what you're using.
The spinner pictured is all black, like the ones at HD. The hydro ones I've used are red on the bar across the spray pattern. After extensive use, even those will wobble after a while.

Pond Pump:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/search?keywords=pond pumps

I use Pondmaster mag pumps, around 500 gps.

Below, the image with blue or green is high pressure. The red is low pressure.
Make sure you have the correct one unless your pump pressure is equal to the cities, which I very highly doubt.

Attachments

• drip-micro-sprinkler-mf40.jpg
    drip-micro-sprinkler-mf40.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 43
I bought mine at the local Hydro store.I actually bought 2,and both are new.I bought a Rio 90 pump,that is 85GPH.I'm going to buy a bigger pump.I was thinking a 291 GPH Ecoplus,and adjust it down to roughly half....but maybe burnie is right and it might not be the best way to treat a pump.Might be better to just buy a 150GPH designated pump.

Attachments

• Spinner.JPG
    Spinner.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back