Blumat and Bonsai Mothers

venkman

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what folks thoughts are on keeping Bonsai mothers in 1 liter pots with 1 Blumat Classic in pH'd water (6-6.5). Then once a week a nutrient solution soak.

Background:

I live in an area with great legal cuts from dispensaries. However, there have been some disease and pest issues and been bitten.

I'm trying to grow from seed and keep my favorites. Found one so far. Thank you Humboldt CSI.

We've used the blumat classic (that's just the carrot, with no dripper, right?) outdoors in large containers. That was for kohlrabi and tomato plants, and they worked real well to keep things wet in between big waterings. We didn't even use the huge carrots, just the little ones, but two, i think to a container. Containers were five to twenty gallon. No idea of how they would work in just a liter container...seems they'd use a lot of the root space? Maybe for the smallest of autos? I would think that most Cannabis would need larger containers, unless it's just during veg. But, then again, i've not gone through all the 'challenges' to see how small they can be kept.

@nannymouse and @DMAN Thank you both for your input.

@nannymouse Yes, the Blumat Classic carrot is the one that does not have the dripper. I think the Tropf dripper may be a bit too much for a small plant. Plus, if the drippers fail, you can get a flood. I love that you use these in the vegetable garden. Haven't tried that yet. Just house plants.

@DMAN I think that I can handle 1 gallon pots for a couple keepers. I was trying to use the OT1 Bonsai method for keeping mothers. But I've no desire to keep more than two or three and should use the space available.

To summarize the advice, you both recommend larger pots for mothers. You both have much greater experience. I will try potting up to 1 gallon and add a Blumat Classic carrot.

Thanks again!

I've used the Tropf Blumat's a lot in my earlier grows, but I also ensured that I wouldn't come home to a flood by adapting bottles from the livestock industry (smaller jugs about 3 litres for feeding calves milk replacement).

Find a jug, drill the appropriate hole for the bulkhead nipple, install this unit, then add a tap to be able to shut the water off in case you have to move pots around. The small line that goes to each pot is easily disconnected. I used the calf milk bottles, because you can also purchase the wire framed hanger to hang the bottle above the surface of the soil to ensure the right flow. I just hung the bottle by the frame on the side of the tent (about 1/2 way up)... then all you do is ensure that the bottles are full of water all the time. *Should the bottle ever go empty, ensure that you re-prime the feeder line, or you might end up with a vapour lock and your plant won't be getting water... however, if you are paying attention at all, you should notice the difference before things go sideways too badly.

This method also works fairly well, should you ever need to leave home for a short period of time, or have to leave someone else in charge of watering that might make a mistake otherwise.

The Tropf Blumats work quite well, but there is a bit of a learning curve to begin with and there is also some maintenance... I also set my pots in shallow Dollar Store wash pans that would hold all of the water that is in the bottle or jog. There was/is zero risk of flooding.

That is so incredibly thoughtful. Bless you twice. I had to look it up online to understand how you were hanging the bottles. That is a great setup. Thank you so much for sharing Mr. Sack!

Last edited:
Oh!, I forgot one thing that just popped to mind... I bought 4 orange ping pong balls and tossed one of them in each jug as a level indicator. If you're going to try it, don't try setting it up a week before you go on holidays because there is always a little problem somewhere that you have to work out.

As well, the jug holders have to be re-bent so the jug is held in the upright position, this isn't too had to do. I'll see if I can find a picture of that jug set up, but any container will do provided that you have some head pressure by being over the height of the soil level.

1710777399156.jpeg

Wow... H the H did I do that! ha ha... well there it is, as you can see I used a couple of plastic tee fittings on the tent uprights and I think it was just 1/2" conduit between them. The tees and conduit also help holding the tent walls out if you have a habit of overpowering your exhaust fan, which draw the tent walls in too far... this set up worked good.

Reactions: HFM
You know, now that I think about this, if a person just for-goes the Blumat carrot in the pot and puts 4 emitters on the bottom of the line from the jugs in the last picture, I might get a more effective watering per cycle vs hand watering. A much slower introduction of the water to the soil might also cause a more evenly distributed moisture content throughout the system. I can meter the water from the jug to the emitters with the shut off valve that's on the jug.

It wouldn't help someone who wanted to go away from home for a week, but it might be a more effective way of watering by introducing the water in a much slower fashion.

"Lift the pot to gauge the moisture content in the soil... add the mount of water in the jug depending on the weight of the pot and plant... fill the jug to the proper amount... then close the tent and walk away."

It would take a few grows to get the system/intuition set in one's mind, but this might be worthwhile... I think I'll set this up tonight once the lights spark up.

Sorry Venkman, I feel as though I overtook your thread, I apologize...

Perhaps someone who has the Classic and the Tropf system can interject here, but aren't the "carrot portions" of the Classic interchangeable with the Tropf ones... I think the Tropf system comes with the choice of three different length carrots and I think the short one might be the same length as the Classic.

I'd phone Tad at Kis organics, or Black Swallow Soils (1-519-770-0629 in Canada) if you can't get someone to confirm it here, but "I think" they are interchangeable

View attachment 358842

Wow... H the H did I do that! ha ha... well there it is, as you can see I used a couple of plastic tee fittings on the tent uprights and I think it was just 1/2" conduit between them. The tees and conduit also help holding the tent walls out if you have a habit of overpowering your exhaust fan, which draw the tent walls in too far... this set up worked good.
Hello,what gave you the milk bottle idea?Great use of them,used them about the same way 20 years ago hahaha.Got all nostalgic,cheers

I needed small containers I could hang for head pressure. And being in a rural community, there are only so many choices locally. They are superior to other ideas for a number of reasons, but the most important one is that the wall thickness makes a secure and tight marriage with the Blumat bulkhead fittings. In short, they work good.

I tried using the 4 droppers on the bottom of the milk jugs last night, and I think with a little tweaking, I'll be able to meter a jug of water out over a significant amount of time, allowing me to discontinue the use of the carrots. The carrots work good once you understand how they work and what makes them stop working... but I never go away for long enough to make them a necessity.

Sorry Venkman, I feel as though I overtook your thread, I apologize...

Perhaps someone who has the Classic and the Tropf system can interject here, but aren't the "carrot portions" of the Classic interchangeable with the Tropf ones... I think the Tropf system comes with the choice of three different length carrots and I think the short one might be the same length as the Classic.

I'd phone Tad at Kis organics, or Black Swallow Soils (1-519-770-0629 in Canada) if you can't get someone to confirm it here, but "I think" they are interchangeable
Hi Mr. Sack!

There is absolutely no need to apologize. I am here to learn, and you just taught me a bundle.

I can confirm that the Tropf carrots have a threaded sleeve to join with the emitter. The Classic carrots have a friction fit sleeve.

I am amazed at your resourcefulness!

Thank you so much for your contribution.

I have been so afraid for so long to speak about growing. It is such a relief to have a place like this, with so many kind folks willing to share.

You know, now that I think about this, if a person just for-goes the Blumat carrot in the pot and puts 4 emitters on the bottom of the line from the jugs in the last picture, I might get a more effective watering per cycle vs hand watering. A much slower introduction of the water to the soil might also cause a more evenly distributed moisture content throughout the system. I can meter the water from the jug to the emitters with the shut off valve that's on the jug.

It wouldn't help someone who wanted to go away from home for a week, but it might be a more effective way of watering by introducing the water in a much slower fashion.

"Lift the pot to gauge the moisture content in the soil... add the mount of water in the jug depending on the weight of the pot and plant... fill the jug to the proper amount... then close the tent and walk away."

It would take a few grows to get the system/intuition set in one's mind, but this might be worthwhile... I think I'll set this up tonight once the lights spark up.
You know, I've been mulling over trying a run in coco using some Advanced Nutrients organic nutes, but was worried about keeping them watered while at work. This may be the solution to that problem! It would take some dialing in, but I think it just might work. Thanks for the idea!

You know, I've been mulling over trying a run in coco using some Advanced Nutrients organic nutes, but was worried about keeping them watered while at work. This may be the solution to that problem! It would take some dialing in, but I think it just might work. Thanks for the idea!
You would have to have the "right" (highly) soluble nutes to not clog up the drippers and lines from what I've heard in the past... and IMHO, you might still have problems "over time" because the notes might accumulate and slowly cause a clog... just like what's likely happening in my arteries as we speak, one hamburger at a time.

If I was to do this, I might just for-go the drippers too and run the nutes straight through the tubing; using the shut off valve on the tank to meter the liquid... there would be a number of ways to do it though.

One thing that comes to mind would be to make a ring to place around the plant's stem with clear tubing (poke some holes for the liquid to drip out of, and one hole in the top for the feeder line) and see how much build-up you have in the tubing itself over time... however, if you came home and the tank was still full it would automatically tell you that you have a clog.

Back