Azomite

nannymouse

I was noticing that azomite was listed as a deficiency 'cure' for many deficiencies. Yet, i look at the label, and it just doesn't look like it's all that. Especially at the price, with the shipping. So, i'm wondering what the users here think, and why they use it.

I'm especially interested in a permanent soil mix...cuz i'm getting very agitated with buying endless bags of bugs. If i get a mix that works, i'd like to just keep re-using it. So...thoughts on this would be appreciated!

nanny, I have used Azomite before. When my mix was just worm castings and pro-mix, I added a little Azomite to prevent deficiencies. However, it's important to add ONLY a little, or you may experience some nutrient lockout or other problems. I used Down To Earth brand, wasn't too expensive.

Had lunch long time ago with this guy Jack who was one of the owners of Down To Earth and he explained what Azomite does and I was sold.
I use the same soil mix and been only a year for this one but usually 7 years or so.
After I harvest I let them sit for 4 months before re use. I put soil in 300 gal fabric pots while it sits

i used that and a few other mineral products to 'recharge' used soil. without notes i haven't been able to easily find things just like this. but i did reuse that soil at least once.

I think if your plants look healthy with what ever you’re using then spending money on an amendment makes no sense. Are your plants unhealthy?

azomite is a mineral additive. Last spring I sent soil samples from my outdoor veggie garden. The results came back deficient in Nitrogen and minerals. The labs recommendation for organic amendments were Blood Meal and Azomite I added a 3 pounds of blood meal and 5 pounds of azomite and my garden did great this past summer. I know this doesn't help with smaller containers but in my opinion. azomite is good stuff.

https://azomite.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-azomite-mineral-products/

Last edited:
I have had good results with azomite, but it is very important to note that Azomite is an aluminosilicate product. It is mined in Utah, in the desert where no plants grow for miles. Using it will significantly raise your aluminum levels in your soil. There are debates in the soil community about how available that aluminum actually is. Cannabis has a propensity to take up heavy metals like aluminum, especially with root exudate action during significant dry backs. Also, very high or very low pH swings will knock the aluminum loose.

If your soil pH management is in check and your soil is well buffered, then that isn't a problem. On the upside, Azomite has good levels of silica, boron, and manganese. But its also not a complete trace mineral source. I personally prefer to amend with individual refined sulfates, less chance of heavy metal contamination. However, this approach isn't for everyone.

If you want to be cheap, efficient, and effective, your best bet is to source a local rock dust or powder. If you have a granite or marble quarry nearby, see if you can pickup a bucket of their dust. Often times they will just give it to you for free.

Thanks everyone! I think that i will pass on the azomite. I've already been multiply metal poisoned, aluminum was a definite problem from the resulting numbers. After going through the series of IV's to get rid of the nasties, i'd rather not do that again.

But, i was wondering the other day about just what ends up in the trichomes...do they pick up all the stuff that the rest of the plant does? Would just concentrate be any better than bud/leaf?

I know the phospholipids end up in the trichomes. I can't say where the aluminum goes.

As per your body having heavy metal poisoning, have you done chelation therapy? Taken food-grade fulvic acid drops? I've heard it helps. Also, similar to soil remediation, if you take the right calcium supplements, it also helps push out heavy metals from your body.

All that said about Azomite, I do think it is very beneficial to have luxury amounts of trace metals in your soil. Just not aluminum. Don't neglect your micros. Your quality will improve!

Did the naturopaths calcium-EDTA I.V.'s., intermittently with vitamins in a ten week series. Plus vitamins after that.

Just as an 'aside', i got some Rasoul clay from newdirections, they list the mineral contents in their clays, in the data sheets.

there's a company called Garden of Life. They make meal replacement shakes and supplements.

The one i get if called Raw Organic Meal. It's comprised of organic plant based, non-heat treated leafy greens, veggies, berries sprouts, etc, with a vitamin B complex added for energy,. The beautiful thing about this product not being heat treated if the enzymes are still active in those leafy greens nd berries. They are very very cleansing. Been taking this stuff for a year now and I feel great. You can get it on amazon. check it out

Thanks, Freakshow. We grow most all of our veggies, on virgin 'glacial' rich land. And i usually have a ten gallon+ container of greens growing indoors. Leaf celery, basil, parsley, do very well for us,indoors. None going at the moment, but do have a bunch of cherry tomato vines going and a rosemary plant. Need to get the greens going, but still have a lot dryed and powdered, which goes into soups, mostly. I also dried carrot tops, raddish tops, beet tops, from the big gardens and ground those up for the powder mix. Dried tomatoes and tomato leather...i keep busy during that time of the year.

I've gotten into Za'Atar, as a seasoning, and use it on many different dishes. On eggs in the morning, most any kind of meat or veggie, even in soups. Wild oregano or wild thyme is a main ingredient in Za'Atar, and toasted sesame seed...

I've also, discovered that sour cherry juice seems to help my muscles, i like IndianSummer brand the best. It's VERY sour. I drink it every night, because my nightly tincture goes great in it. I put the tincture in a sixteen oz glass, add about an inch and a half of cherry juice, then fill up with RO water.
My almost daily 'smoothie' is two big scoops of defatted peanut powder in the blender, plus red maca powder... a couple of good heaping tablespoons of greek yogurt...one banana...a good handful of frozen mango chunks...then fill with milk. Lately, we've been using oat milk, but any you prefer. We've been splitting a blender-full of this, almost daily, for a few years. Sometimes cinnamon or cardamon...we experiment a little. If we have other fresh fruit, it may get tossed in. Sometimes, i even cheat a little and add some hershey's chocolate, but that is rare occasion.

My 'candy' is usually vitamin d gummies... and my eye vitamins are available in chewable form, so that takes care of my sweet tooth, pretty well. About the only other supplement that i take daily is real Niacin...i sort of enjoy the hot flash, especially in the winter.

Nanny, I work at a food co-op (maybe not something you have out there, but there are a lot of them in the Northeast), which is like a health food store on steroids... I had a lady complaining to me that we didn't carry enough coconut milk coffee "creams." She avoids ALL grain-based milks because they can contribute to inflammatory responses in the body. And she's right, but it's a fad-driven market and right now oat milk is riding the wave of popularity.

I like my bread and pizza, so I don't avoid grains, but she's right; they do cause inflammatory issues. I'm just not willing to endlessly tweak my diet to address them, the way some people will....

Back