Aquarium heater for a cloner?

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
So.I may need to root up a cutting or 2.I have what I need to make a 5gl plastic bucket cloner...well except for the cloner collars,but maybe I can make a couple from a Styrofoam sheet I have.

The only space I have to run a cloner is in an unheated shed.The temps would be adequate during the day,but the temp out there dips to 50* at night.I don't see any reason why a small aquarium heater could not be used...right?

On edit: I see these small heaters offered in 17w 50w 100w 200w models..Would a 50w be big enough?I hate to spend too much when I might only use it on the rare occasion..

Last edited:
That`ll work slim , but buy the submersible type . My cloners on concrete floor.....sub heater fixed the problem . It`ll hold a steady 72 degrees all the time . Good luck .
peace

If I read right , it`s automatically set at 78 ? To me that`s a tad warm and leads to mushy stems if they don`t root quick . But it`s your call . And at that price , could be worth it . If not , no big loss .
peace

It's been a while since I ran a cloner,and before it was always inside...where it was nice and warm.I thought 78 would be a good temp.Should I be aiming for 72? I wouldn't want to use a heat mat either,as I am afraid that would be too heavy.

I never considered that a heater would melt plastic Fred.I'm glad you mentioned it.

Like I said....imo....77 and up is where you start having a very good chance of stems going mushy . 72 may take longer , but never any mushy stems . Also , add a coupla` tablespoons of peroxide after a few days to help cut down on any possible nasties . Now that other heater....it`s just layin` in the bottom of my bucket . After a while those suction cups become worthless .
peace

in my homemade cloner the submerged pump that circulates the water heats up the water and heats it too much in the summer. I always found rooting takes places easier with lower temps. Also keep in mind if the cloner is off the ground the water cannot get lower than the ambient temp of the room.

I found out the hard way.
I got a 'heater holder' from a live-stock supply company.

I may have to get a good look around before I do anything stoopid.

Like I said....imo....77 and up is where you start having a very good chance of stems going mushy . 72 may take longer , but never any mushy stems . Also , add a coupla` tablespoons of peroxide after a few days to help cut down on any possible nasties . Now that other heater....it`s just layin` in the bottom of my bucket . After a while those suction cups become worthless .
peace

I hear you burnie.There isn't much room in the bottom pf the bucket once I get the pump in there either,and then try to get a heater down there might be a challenge.

I'll visit the local pet center 2morro,as everything around here closes before the shadow is behind the door.

in my homemade cloner the submerged pump that circulates the water heats up the water and heats it too much in the summer. I always found rooting takes places easier with lower temps. Also keep in mind if the cloner is off the ground the water cannot get lower than the ambient temp of the room.

I was thinking the same thing with regards to the pump heating the water.I don't know how much it would maintain the temps when the shed cools overnight tho.I think that shed stays a little warmer than outside..maybe 60*.

Shoot.I don't want to lose a cut because the cloner water is too cool.

<Slim is befuddled> :)

I'm not gonna argue they can't go bad, an I certainly can't argue that if they do go bad, they can melt plastic, but as long as they are workin properly...they shouldn't get anywhere close to hot enough to remotely melt plastic...otherwise, they certainly would not be safe for the fish...or safe period.

I've used an aquarium heater in Tupperwares growin mushrooms without issue, for what it's worth, an if I remember correctly, it was set at 85...much hotter than the 68-70 you should be shootin for.

Personally, I would recommend a cheap digital thermometer in the Tupperware with the pump runnin for a few days before I bought a heater...as already mentioned, the pump can heat the water. Or if it's jus a couple of cuts, jus throw em in a medium an keep em in the shade outside...I'm thinkin in your climate this time of year, you're damn near perfect environment.

Wishin ya the best with it.:thumbsup:

+1

That's a good idea Annaba..actually more than one good idea.I should get that bucket out...put the water and pump in it and see what the unaided temps are.I have thought about just doing it outside in medium as well,but I really don't want to mess it up. :) Maybe if I had extra time and extra cuts...you know,just in case. :)

Your heater should be adjustable for temps.
I'm sitting with a half dozen new german heaters I used when I ran my hydro reservoirs.

The heater I was looking at is a preset to 78* model Budmiser.No adjustment.

I set-up my 5gal bucket with the pump and riser and let it run for 3 hours this morning.Went out to check it and it had come loose from the bottom,but was pumping a good stream.Temp was 64*,which is a little low.The shed gets above 90* in there when the sun is shining,so I will need to run a fan now and again so it doesn't get so hot in there.

Updated for image.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back