Anyone have experience with shade cloths.

ClearBarbedFunk

Invalid Email Users
I'm hearing rumors that the CO mmj outdoor growing regulations are going to be enforced with a bit more vigor then in the past.

From what I can remember, the recreational laws require a completely enclosed OP, basement, garage, or even a greenhouse and lockable.

The medical requirement states, out of public view and locked.

Word is all outdoor ops that aren't enclosed completely and locked are going to be visited, fined for the violation.

I'm looking into using a white 22% shade cloth for a top cover. Description says it blocks 22% of the light. Sun is 2050 lux, 22% cover would be 1599 lux. Knocks out quite a bit of light, and wondering if anyone has grown under a shade and did the bud come out larfy.

Thanks

I grew under a 30% black shade cloth.
The plants easily reached the 6 1/2' ceiling and bent some. The buds came out fine. Overall, I'd say the yield decreased by about 25% but I was also using 5 gal buckets which also decreased so I'd say about a 10-15% loss.
That's my experience, ran it for 3 years until the greenhouse was stolen.

Btw, I just ran a fence from my house to the neighbor fence, put a gate in with a lock. My papers are pinned next to the gate. I live in a residential neighborhood and the only problem is smell. I've already talked to my neighbor and he's fine with it. The across the street house, a 2 story, can look directly down on my side yard. He's cool with it too. I share my garden veggies with both of them.
I'll be screwed when the day comes that they want the top enclosed as well. What good is a lock when you can jump a fence? My 5 gal buckets were tied to the greenhouse frame. When they stole the buckets and jumped my fence, the greenhouse followed them and got hung up on the fence. Moral to this is don't have your GH taller than your fence, it's a dead giveaway.

Last edited:
I always used shade paint for my GH but if I were going to use shade cloth I would go for the white . Its better for heat control and better reflection of light .

yes interesting question..bigsur

i would guess that inside the gh and out both flower the same time but maybe not huh?

we have white spun polyester to protect the strawberries from birds..that stuff could work

We have used 80% cloth on and off for several years and have some up now....no problems with larfy buds plants look fine

Here’s another question , we have a few plants flowering indoors at about 45 days.......what would happen if I set these outdoors?..

Would they finish properly or try to revel?...outdoors it’s about 15 hours daylight and 9 dark

End of July at the earliest, I’ve put flowering plants out end of June, and they reveg. Right now for sure they reveg.

My neighbor uses shade cloth for a lot of his garden.

His goal is lessening the wind impact on plants.

There seems to be no effect from less sun.

I would think 78% sun still beats pretty much any artificial light anyway.

Hey CBF just out of curiosity where did the rumors come from? I got a few buddy’s here in town that do them open in the back yard lol

Who knows Big, by doing that you may have just invented the secret formula for that "Holly Grail" you have been looking all your life for....

giphy.gif

You lucky fecker.....

0023406-0022grail0022-400022x300022-vaclav-vaca-00a91987-version-4.jpg

Well Defacto I hate to be the one to spill the beans....no pun intended but there just might be a couple of Peeps (NOT HERE OF COURSE) that just might have 40ac grows going......must be a big roof........like the sky

AS_061622_Calaveras.00134%20(1)

bwahahahahaha

Used 70% white film (winter cover) a couple times in Montana with great success. Still got good plants and good yields. Had it on through the winter and just left it for summer.
-ct-

Understood; a couple people grow outside in town here. :)

I was just pointing out that it is a statewide law.

Wow CTG, 70% would be nicely camouflaged I bet.

doesn’t it pretty much depend on what county one is in?

Looks like dedacto got ya covered. Where your at though big I think it’s safe lol. Just east of c Springs my friends have some properties and the piggies run drones for suspicious activities supposably...

Hey CBF just out of curiosity where did the rumors come from? I got a few buddy’s here in town that do them open in the back yard lol

Not following you buddy, they flower plants in the back yard and they don’t reveg this time of year?

If your talking about my opening post, that was 2017 here in delta county....at present the cops do t give a flyin rip what your growing.

Not following you buddy, they flower plants in the back yard and they don’t reveg this time of year?

If your talking about my opening post, that was 2017 here in delta county....at present the cops do t give a flyin rip what your growing.
Must have been high, I thought this was a new thread lol

Back