Anyone have any good remedies for Eczema?

BudSniffer

Love that aroma!
I started having it on my fingers, in the last 4 or 5 years. At first it was only in the Fall, then after I quit work, it stays all the time. I got infected tonsils back in the Fall, and the antibiotics they gave me, almost cleared it up, temporarily.
Then I fell, and got 5 stitches in my finger, the antibiotics they gave me, made it worse. I have big hard, dry patches of skin, that split constantly, and bleed...it hurts like heck, especially when I have to put my hands in water, or shower. I've tried my own home made lip balm, it helped a little, I tried Gold Bond's Eczema lotion, it moistened it, not really helped it much... and I have to apply it several times a day...I am about at my wits end. Oh, I went to the doc, about 4 years ago, they offered me two salves, both expensive, and both had side effects of causing cancer...no thanks!

Attachments

• Eczema.jpg
    Eczema.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 11
Dan I am using a salve I get at our farmers market and it works awesome.

The ingredients are Cannabis root,Devils club,Beeswax and Essential oils. I have no idea of the amounts but start low and increase with use.

I tried many commercial or local salves but this one works for me. Not only does it control the Eczema but heals the damaged skin as well.

Dan I am using a salve I get at our farmers market and it works awesome.

The ingredients are Cannabis root,Devils club,Beeswax and Essential oils. I have no idea of the amounts but start low and increase with use.

I tried many commercial or local salves but this one works for me. Not only does it control the Eczema but heals the damaged skin as well.

Peep this one Budsniffer.
Bees wax you should have and a search should provide names of the proper essential oils. I can send some down your way as it's easy and cheap to get essential oils here.
I'll have root in a week or so too. I have a Devils club in the front closet but I think it's the wrong type ;)

Interesting about the cannabis root. Amazing what people figure out on the uses for a single type of plant. Thanks for this Doc Smitty.

Cut a potato in half and rub it over the wart. Might take 2-3 treatments but was VERY effective.:fishing1:
I've heard you can use duck tape also, not the clear stuff.
The placebo effect is real.:exactly:

I've found Compound W to be best, either the acid or gas stuff:cigar1:

I have one that I'm freezing.
Damn thing won't go away. Months on compound W and now I've run a second course of freezing so I'm going to try freezing it one more time then I'm going in with my pocket knife.
I can't lose to a growth :)

Fuggin a, got a wart over the last year as well, right near my cockline which is frightening enough. Need to freeze the sucker off too. The Dr lady jumped back when she saw it lol, then she was like oh it's just a wart....well then wtf ya freak out for? Lol:nbf:

I started having it on my fingers, in the last 4 or 5 years. At first it was only in the Fall, then after I quit work, it stays all the time. I got infected tonsils back in the Fall, and the antibiotics they gave me, almost cleared it up, temporarily.
Then I fell, and got 5 stitches in my finger, the antibiotics they gave me, made it worse. I have big hard, dry patches of skin, that split constantly, and bleed...it hurts like heck, especially when I have to put my hands in water, or shower. I've tried my own home made lip balm, it helped a little, I tried Gold Bond's Eczema lotion, it moistened it, not really helped it much... and I have to apply it several times a day...I am about at my wits end. Oh, I went to the doc, about 4 years ago, they offered me two salves, both expensive, and both had side effects of causing cancer...no thanks!

I have somewhat bad outbreaks of eczema on my hands.

Everything grow related makes it worse, touching wet and dry plants, synthetic nutrients, contact with the plastics I use to water...and environment plays a roll, too. The drier and colder the weather the more likely it is for me to suffer.

At its worst, my hand had a hard callus layer that caused me to not be able to pic up glass or plastic cups. They would slip right out without fingerprints and moisture to get purchase on any hard surface.

I've been prescribed a bunch of different stuff. The betamethasone steroid worked the best, but it caused side effects. I had to look them up because Kaiser Permanente docs never warned me about side effects, so needless to say--I no longer use the stuff and will never use it again.

I also got UV treament. I'd drive a half hour, one way, and pay $5 to sit with my hands under a UV light for 60 seconds, which I didn't do for long enough to see any results, and the reviews on r/eczema (on Reddit) were hit or miss.

Right now I use an oatmeal soap and wash thoroughly, then rinse even more thoroughly (I think residual soap can cause a flare up), then use cetaphil eczema calming lotion immediately after. Seems to be the only way to wash my hands regularly without exacerbating the issue.

At night I put a layer of pure lanolin on my hands and white cotton gloves to keep it from wiping off on my bedding while I sleep. This seems to help with overnight healing and also I don't wake up with worse breakouts in the morning--which is a terrible thing to wake up to.

I also use cotton gloves before I put any nitrile/vinyl/latex gloves on (the synthetic materials in the gloves make me break out). I do this when I trim, dust the house, water my plants, and meal prep. For some reason, the juice from tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions cause the worst burning and flare ups ever.

It takes a while to figure out a routine that works for you. Try r/eczema on reddit. Lots of good input from people who've had to dance around the myriad of semi-effective and temporary relief from the medical cures...

Good luck!

My daughter had it her entire life until she gave up all dairy as an experiment. It's worth a try for a couple of weeks to see if it make a difference.

That cracking looks damn painful. I hope you find something that works.

I have one that I'm freezing.
Damn thing won't go away. Months on compound W and now I've run a second course of freezing so I'm going to try freezing it one more time then I'm going in with my pocket knife.
I can't lose to a growth :)

I've had a wart on my hand for years. I got tired of it last year and spent most of it and a lot of money on CompoundW freezing and liquid. It actually came back larger after receding a bit each round.

I finally got rid of it for good. I bought organic Apple Cider Vinegar w/Mother and applied it three times as day. I lightly scuffed off the white dead skin as it developed and in a few weeks the wart was gone and hasn't returned.

I have somewhat bad outbreaks of eczema on my hands.

Everything grow related makes it worse, touching wet and dry plants, synthetic nutrients, contact with the plastics I use to water...and environment plays a roll, too. The drier and colder the weather the more likely it is for me to suffer.

At its worst, my hand had a hard callus layer that caused me to not be able to pic up glass or plastic cups. They would slip right out without fingerprints and moisture to get purchase on any hard surface.

I've been prescribed a bunch of different stuff. The betamethasone steroid worked the best, but it caused side effects. I had to look them up because Kaiser Permanente docs never warned me about side effects, so needless to say--I no longer use the stuff and will never use it again.

I also got UV treament. I'd drive a half hour, one way, and pay $5 to sit with my hands under a UV light for 60 seconds, which I didn't do for long enough to see any results, and the reviews on r/eczema (on Reddit) were hit or miss.

Right now I use an oatmeal soap and wash thoroughly, then rinse even more thoroughly (I think residual soap can cause a flare up), then use cetaphil eczema calming lotion immediately after. Seems to be the only way to wash my hands regularly without exacerbating the issue.

At night I put a layer of pure lanolin on my hands and white cotton gloves to keep it from wiping off on my bedding while I sleep. This seems to help with overnight healing and also I don't wake up with worse breakouts in the morning--which is a terrible thing to wake up to.

I also use cotton gloves before I put any nitrile/vinyl/latex gloves on (the synthetic materials in the gloves make me break out). I do this when I trim, dust the house, water my plants, and meal prep. For some reason, the juice from tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions cause the worst burning and flare ups ever.

It takes a while to figure out a routine that works for you. Try r/eczema on reddit. Lots of good input from people who've had to dance around the myriad of semi-effective and temporary relief from the medical cures...

Good luck!

Thanks ya'll for all the info.

Lithium, you sound a little like me, though mine don't sound as bad as yours. I have learned with mine, to apply lotion as soon as I wash my hands, or the bad places will be super dry, and more apt to crack. This bout is probably the worst I have ever had, but it was caused by antibiotics, I'm sure. I was sick back in the Fall, and was on a different type of antibiotic, and it almost completely healed it, and then I was finished with the antibiotic, and it came back, but mild. This antibiotic, I took for 9 days after I cut my finger, and it made the places super hard, thick, and dead...I stopped taking about a week ago, and the skin has started to flake off, and split. Usually the splits aren't this deep, and heal within a couple of days, this is still sore as heck, and feels like it will split easily again...it burns like heck to put any lotion on the splits.

I make our soap, and use 5% superfat with Sweet Almond Oil, so it nourishes your skin, not dry it out. I will have to look for cetaphil eczema calming lotion, or is it prescription? I once even tried taking napkin, and applying Sweet Almond Oil straight, because I had read it was good for it. It just kept it moist for awhile, then it dried out in a couple hours, like everything else. I did notice juice from peppers, onions and tomatoes burn, so I make sure and put on gloves when I'm chopping any of those. I hope this antibiotic is about out of me, maybe this will heal on up...

I've had a wart on my hand for years. I got tired of it last year and spent most of it and a lot of money on CompoundW freezing and liquid. It actually came back larger after receding a bit each round.

I finally got rid of it for good. I bought organic Apple Cider Vinegar w/Mother and applied it three times as day. I lightly scuffed off the white dead skin as it developed and in a few weeks the wart was gone and hasn't returned.

When I was about 10-11 years old my brother started getting warts on his hands...then I caught it from him (they say you can, he probably rubbed them on me on purpose, knowing him! :) ) Finally one day, my grandad said he was going to take us to a faith healer and see if he could get the warts off. My mom had took him to the doctor about his, he even got them on his eyelids, from rubbing his eyes. So anyway, we went to see this old man out in the country. My grandad had called him beforehand, so he knew why we were there. We never even went in his house, he took me and my brother aside, one by one. He told us that he was just going to count them, and then we had to believe they would go away, and we couldn't tell anyone how many we had. He counted my brothers first, then mine...over the next few months, both of our warts disappeared. After they were gone, my brother told me they had counted 99 on his hands, I only had about 6.

Thanks ya'll for all the info.

Lithium, you sound a little like me, though mine don't sound as bad as yours. I have learned with mine, to apply lotion as soon as I wash my hands, or the bad places will be super dry, and more apt to crack. This bout is probably the worst I have ever had, but it was caused by antibiotics, I'm sure. I was sick back in the Fall, and was on a different type of antibiotic, and it almost completely healed it, and then I was finished with the antibiotic, and it came back, but mild. This antibiotic, I took for 9 days after I cut my finger, and it made the places super hard, thick, and dead...I stopped taking about a week ago, and the skin has started to flake off, and split. Usually the splits aren't this deep, and heal within a couple of days, this is still sore as heck, and feels like it will split easily again...it burns like heck to put any lotion on the splits.

I make our soap, and use 5% superfat with Sweet Almond Oil, so it nourishes your skin, not dry it out. I will have to look for cetaphil eczema calming lotion, or is it prescription? I once even tried taking napkin, and applying Sweet Almond Oil straight, because I had read it was good for it. It just kept it moist for awhile, then it dried out in a couple hours, like everything else. I did notice juice from peppers, onions and tomatoes burn, so I make sure and put on gloves when I'm chopping any of those. I hope this antibiotic is about out of me, maybe this will heal on up...

The lotion isn't prescription.

It's this stuff, here. Careful, though, Amazon likes to gouge it occasionally in the $18 range.

The best results I've had are from the lanolin + gloves while I sleep. Lanolin can be an allergen, though, so petroleum jelly might work better for some.

Here is what I've had to deal with before. Every little split is super deep, and can bleed quite a bit...even from a split the size of a pen dot.

When they're this bad, I can't pick up anything hard w/a smooth surface. It just slips right out. Can't make a fist or straighten my hands out, either, from the swelling.
attachment.php

Bleeding from a very small split.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8836.JPG
    IMG_8836.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 34
When I was about 10-11 years old my brother started getting warts on his hands...then I caught it from him (they say you can, he probably rubbed them on me on purpose, knowing him! :) ) Finally one day, my grandad said he was going to take us to a faith healer and see if he could get the warts off. My mom had took him to the doctor about his, he even got them on his eyelids, from rubbing his eyes. So anyway, we went to see this old man out in the country. My grandad had called him beforehand, so he knew why we were there. We never even went in his house, he took me and my brother aside, one by one. He told us that he was just going to count them, and then we had to believe they would go away, and we couldn't tell anyone how many we had. He counted my brothers first, then mine...over the next few months, both of our warts disappeared. After they were gone, my brother told me they had counted 99 on his hands, I only had about 6.

Huh. Apple Cider Vinegar applications could be just placebo or it could be it's acetic acid content. Either way I'm wartless :party:

Back