Any resident LED/hybrid lighting experts?

katsu

I would like to replace a 1000W HPS with the best of what is out there. I would prefer a non-DIY solution, but if there are significant savings and I can buy a kit I would consider. Thanks in advance. KB

COB is the way to go and all the second generation LED's have abandoned the "Blurple" colour for the full spectrum white light.

Here are my basic questions. For a top notch solution:
1) COB, Quantum Board, or combo?
2) UV B Light - add during last weeks of flower or not?
3) How much (%) will I save DIY vs. buy from hobbyist vs. commercial purchase

Last edited:
mix cmh or de with the timberline led cob lights you should be golden ...the quantum boards have to be pretty close for flower

Last edited:
We bought Stock in the Cree Co. a while back even though they have always been a light bulb co. when they slid into the L.E.D. action we figured they would take off & many times when the US stock co. are down that Canadian Cree is climbing .. :yum: So yea buy from them hahahahahahaaa:zorro:

From the Research I have been doing on LEDs, you can DIY one cheaper than you can buy one.
the cost to make one for a 4' x 4' area is around $125 - $150, where as to buy one would cost around $400+ or more just to cover the same area.

I would add the UV for the last 2 weeks of flower.

QUOTE=katsu;1424780]Here are my basic questions. For a top notch solution:
1) COB, Quantum Board, or combo?

one or the other..I use no refectors or lenses on the cobs..

2) UV B Light - add during last weeks of flower or not?

>if you have the time..lemmie know and do last two weeks

3) How much (%) will I save DIY vs. buy from hobbyist vs. commercial purchase[

66%+

ps for leds you need basically 80f +

From the Research I have been doing on LEDs, you can DIY one cheaper than you can buy one.
the cost to make one for a 4' x 4' area is around $125 - $150, where as to buy one would cost around $400+ or more just to cover the same area.

I would add the UV for the last 2 weeks of flower.

no way..way way more expensive than for good lighting/drivers/sinks

buy for 1100-2000+

make for 600plus

the uvb sounds good lemmie know how it works

ps my info is from hands on..for years

Last edited:
I switched over from gavita 6/750s and lec315s to horticulture lighting group quantum boards and im pretty happy.I bought a couple HLG 550s pre built and then built a couple of the HLG600s,I got mine from growerslights.com.
Its a pricy changeover but once you do it you will not look back,the savings in electrical over the last few runs is crazy,over 50%,maybe 60.The lights draw about 40% less than HPS and the room stays MUCH cooler saving me on AC.
These are not the sissy LEDs that we all used to laugh at,First time i plugged one in i knew it was the brightest light id ever seen and it was only pulling 510 watts.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to be doing a side by side grow with the Horticulture Lighting Group lamp vs. 1000W HPS.

That will be a good side by side and I hope you have a chance to share your findings with us.

Happy Farmin' Bluebird.........

550 w led vs 1000w hps?

just remember led room needs to be close to or in the 80's ..

apparently because of the absence of IR

i never did a side by side..

keep us posted..i know you will like them..

Leds will save dough on electricity...and cooling in summer..especially if you have remote led driver

minor[no soldering but a bit of reading/youtube vid.. diy will save you 50%

even then they are not cheap

over the years they should save dough..no bulb changes

gavita and any good hps /hallide CMH.. are awesome..give out heat in the winter..

and are way cheaper

Last edited:
I just got this HLG 100 for lighting the bottom row of my metal storage shelf I use for vegging I plant on getting another one for the upper tier. I just got rid of all the floro's I used for vegging and cloning. Eventually I hope to replace the 1k in the flower room with LED.HLG 100 uses our custom designed High efficiency white light Quantum Boards. With a total of 192 Top Bin Samsung LM561C S6 LED's, this fixture produces 15,000+ Lumens with just 96 Watts of power. Equivalent to 200W T5 or 250W CFL output or 200W metal halide.
quantum HLG100.png

I went from hps to cmh, to cob led, and now use all hlg quantum boards. Depending on what quantum boards you use, mine do not have to be very close to the canopy. I have 2, hlg 288 q boards in veg (3x3) turned down to 100 watts and 30"+ above canopy. In flower (4x4) i use 4, 288 qb's turned down to 400 watts and keep them 24"+ above the canopy. Still get better pentration than my gavita 600 hps.

Those little HLG 100s kick ass kazzy,i have 2 of those also.

Big I also use to run quantum t5s in veg,if you switch to LED you will be shocked at the power difference with no loss in light or plant health.

Katsu like kushyman said you need to run higher temps with LED,I run low 80s but some run up to 85 (which also saves on AC costs).One other thing ill add is you need to run more calmag with LED.

I am definitely still learning these lights after just 3 runs with them but i cant find much downside except price which i honestly beleive i will recoup fast.Because of where i live(so cal,uggh)my power is crazy expensive and goes up in three tiers from 18cents to 26cents and finally 43 cents a killowatt hour so i had to do something.
I have a half a dozen gavita 6/750s and just as many sunsystems 315s if anyones looking for a good deal,lol.:puffpuffpass:

Back