An idea on a drying environment

BreezeEazy

I'm unsure if this will benefit me or if it will amount to pounding sand. Before I shut down I was playing with a box that had 2 CPU fans and a passive air intake to dry the bud at a controlled rate. The fans were hooked up to a humidity controller. I felt as if it worked better than what I was doing before, but it wasn't fool proof.

I want to keep pushing forward though with a better dry that sets me up for a good cure. I was thinking something like a humidor would be idea. Something where I can control the temp and humidity so I can experiment with temp, humidity, dry time. Something where I can hang the bud and dry it out in a controlled and even fashion where I can get the whole batch into the cure zone at the same time and not higher or lower.

Without putting up a huge investment I was thinking I could run a prototype. I have a grow tent not in use, I can run chicken fence on top to hang bud from, mount circulating fans, frame out a mount for a a/c to control temp and in the bottom have a tote that a dehuey drains into and a huey feeds off of. A space that big with small equipment, should be able to keep the humidity +/- 3% and temp +/- 1 degree based off the accuracy of the controllers and be stable.

Kind of got the idea from the jungle boys. Hoping this will produce a consistent result with a fool proof quality. Wont cost me more than what a window a/c would cost. Can't decide if this is a sound idea or not.

It is very easy and cost effective to control the environment in a small grow tent. Pretty much like a sealed room if you use it as such. A lot also depends on your outside environment. Do you live in a humid or arid area.

I control all rooms for best results and it sounds like you are doing the same.....good luck my friend.

Im under the impression that as long as temp and humidity is stable in the "dry" tent that it would be forgiving on when to jar them up. Lets say humidity stays at 65%, the herb can start curing in the tent. Am I wrong? I was hoping that if life events came up and I had couldnt get to it right away, this would allow for some comfort room instead of drying too much.

I live in MI, climate is all over the place.

Breeze, here is what I do.....

Just cut 3 plants down last week and hung with coat hangers in a 4x8 chamber (32 sq ft or 336 cubic ft) and sealed the room. I let the humidity rise to 60% and slowly start venting with a small desk fan to keep it there. I plan on leaving them in there for 7 to 8 days and slowly let the humidity drop to 50%. If you let it stay at 65% it will take a much longer time to dry. To wet of environment imo.....

By the way I trim off all fan and the larger sugar leaves for a dry trim....when the branches start to snap it is trim for the dry trim.

Once the dry trim is complete I move to paper sacks until the outside of the bud is starting to feel crispy. Then into jars! From there it is popping the jars until I get the desired cure....for me 30 days is a good cure.

Longer the cure.....the better the product up until 6 mo. If it is still around time to make hash....imo.

Im under the impression that as long as temp and humidity is stable in the "dry" tent that it would be forgiving on when to jar them up. Lets say humidity stays at 65%, the herb can start curing in the tent.

i agree with Put, 65% is a bit high. 60% is their recommendation, isn't it?

60% is where you want the humidity to be in the jars for long term storing. I never check humidity once in jars....kind of a crispy....spongy thing for me.

I apologize guys, I should have been more specific with my 65% statement. I understand drying is suggested at 50%, or even 60% in putembk case, which i have no problem with because you dont want them to mold. So initially youd want the rh to be lower for drying, but as they get dryer inside and out, I thought the cure zone is 60-65%? Thats why I was under the impression if the bud comes down to a stable 60-65% evenly in the bud, it would start curing even if it wasnt in a jar.

In my old box experiment, the buds closest to the vents would dry faster. Probably would have helped if I had a baffle or something to even out the fresh air.

boveda packs come in 58% and 62% humidity. perhaps shoot for something in that range?

I guess I am "old school"....comes with being old I guess. I have never thought about boveda packs....besides that I am not planning on my pot lasting that long.....turn and burn bro....:up:

I apologize guys, I should have been more specific with my 65% statement. I understand drying is suggested at 50%, or even 60% in putembk case, which i have no problem with because you dont want them to mold. So initially youd want the rh to be lower for drying, but as they get dryer inside and out, I thought the cure zone is 60-65%? Thats why I was under the impression if the bud comes down to a stable 60-65% evenly in the bud, it would start curing even if it wasnt in a jar.

In my old box experiment, the buds closest to the vents would dry faster. Probably would have helped if I had a baffle or something to even out the fresh air.

If you can keep humidity 58-65 then plants will start curing while hanging. It should give you the flexibility you're looking for. Good luck Breeze

If you can keep humidity 58-65 then plants will start curing while hanging. It should give you the flexibility you're looking for. Good luck Breeze

Im going to give it a go when I get back. No reason not to after making some changes to my rooms. Right now I'm out in Portland. I really like this area.

Back