400w Vertical Cool Tube Closet

psoulocyb3

400w Lumatek Ballast with GrowBright bulb
Cool tube made from a Pyrex Bake-A-Round
2 x Stanley blowers - 1 for cooltube, 1 for ventilation and scrubbing
Promix BX amended with various bag guanos and worm castings
Will be using a very dilute mixture of Earth Juice Meta-K and Cal-Mag as an amendment on feedings as well as guano top dressing
RO'd water
3 gallon grow bags and 4 gallon garbage cans

attachment.php

Moved some months ago, and this is my first project since. New closet, a little too shallow for a true 360 degree vertical, but still looking good.

The girls were grown from 10 seeds, 9 of which turned female, one dwarfy craptastic male. The seeds are my second generation of Ice crossed with Lady G x SR71 PK. The first generation was pretty awesome, but had a couple lack-luster phenotypes. These seem to be much more uniform in growth. I over vegged a week or so, and have had to do some neck snapping to keep an even canopy, but they're loving their digs. I'm going to add some fence behind the plants to use as tie ups as they get too fat to support themselves.

attachment.php

Temperatures have been 75-79 with a probe in the canopy, only showing 80 on a couple warm days. This is the first nice setup I've worked with and this nice temperature means I can water properly, not every other day.

Crappy part about the all females, is that I need seeds. Somehow I lost my collection in a move. I've got some clones going to some other patients who may be able to keep my genetics around for a bit until I find a suitable male.

attachment.php

Well, thought I'd share :) I'll keep ya'll update on how it progresses.

Nice! I'll bet this grow, will kick the current 400w vertical grow I'm doing's ass. Better ventilation, rocking' a cool tube, and more plants. I like it. :afro:

Very nice looking grow. I plan on doing a vertical grow in my 3'x3' tent once it becomes available. How long did you veg for?

I transplanted the rooted clones into 6 inch pots and vegged about 3 weeks, then transplanted into a 3 gallon bag and vegged just over 4 weeks. Some got transplanted in a 5 gallon buckets and were vegged another few days. When I run this 400w vertical again I'm using nothing but 2-3 gallon bags. The 5 gallon bucket is nice and convenient, but I think more top buds from more plants is the way to go as far as yield is concerned.

This grow looks like it's going to kick some buds your way brother. Organic and yummy.

This was about 6 weeks of veg:
2 weeks in beer cups under cfls
3 weeks in 6x6 square pots with the hps
1 week in 3/4 gallons before hitting the switch to 12/12

Things are progressing well. Stretch is over, girls are putting on their trichomes, and everything is swelling!

I added a 65w cfl to the back of the closet door to hit some of the spots with less light penetration. Everything is growing nice and evenly.
Did a lot of pruning at the end of week 2, and most of the flower development is right in the happy zone. Still need to do a little tying up to get things right where I want them, but the girls seem happy overall.

:) There is one plant, the most vigorous of growth in veg, that I've been wanting to cull since flower started. She stretched out of control, and has kind of a charlie brown xmas tree look... I'm letting it go for now, and hoping it'll make me not regret that. The rest of the ladies are BANGIN!

Hey bro, cool thread !

did you consider surrounding the light with plants, to form a circle with the lights in the center ?
you might get a better light exposure this way
and if you water/feed manually, you could use a small (portable) pvc pipe to deliver the water anywhere you want 'em.

big up for sharing with us

Yeah, thought about centering the light, but it's just too small a space IMHO.
Next run I may give it a try.
Some buds are being tucked behind a little bit, but can only go so close.
I have been thinking about fashioning a reflector for that back wall area to throw some extra light forward.

As for pvc, that's brilliant!
I'm using a beer bong right now ;)

The thing they don't tell you about bottled Cal/Mag!!!

Just to let you know bottled cal/mag products kill your micro-herd. I'd be thinking of a different plan of attack there man I myself use azomite and Calpril and never have problems. I used to add epsom salt to my RO water but not anymore and never an issue and I veg in plain ole Roots organic no nutes at all.
Just some different ideas on how to get cal/mag other than in a bottle. That stuff is pure poison to your micro-herd.:pioneer:

I just don't see how that one little light is possibly enough light for all them plants?Are they stacked in there like in a double circle around the light? Kinda looks that way. Just curious. I just don't see how that many plants could possibly be placed in any other way than with the light being over head to even get enough light and even then there is no way that is 50 watts a square foot. I cant get the visual picture of how the light is working I guess.

Last edited:
Just to let you know bottled cal/mag products kill your micro-herd.
Link or citation please. Never heard this before, and would love to read up on it.

The flower chamber is 35" wide by 23" deep. Two of the plants are stacked two deep on one of the short sides with a 65w cfl over their tops for extra lumens. I would have been much happier with 7plants instead of 9, but as I don't have more of these seeds, I wanted to protect as many phenotypes as possible.

As for the comment about not being 50 watts per sq foot... I don't really get that number. Who has a 2 dimensional canopy? A 2 dimensional measurement of my canopy would be around 6 sq feet, which puts a 400 watt at 66watts / square foot.

Overall the girls are doing great. We're a tad over halfway now, and they're starting to bulk up a bit. All have nice trichome production, and even the plant I was most worried about going in have started to produce nice flowers.

I added 1mL of Gravity Flower Hardener per gallon of water this week, and will be using a similarly dilute amount for a couple more waterings, allowing a couple week flush before harvest. Molasses is being used lightly as well now.

oh man, if those are just at half of their way that is really great !
resin is started to build up nicely, its going to get really fat & Snowy in there ! :jump:
yummy

thanks for sharing bro
:catchawave:

This information can be found in a book titled, "Teaming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. Best organic gardening book out there. It is not a cannabis exclusively book it is a organic gardening book for any kind of plant. Like I said best book money can buy. It's even fairly easy to grasp it is not all scientifical and what not ya know.
It's only 200 pages max, but it's an awesome book. Loaded with helpful knowledge teaches all about ACT's and CEC and what not all in all a great book! :pioneer:

No problem man that book kicks butt!
It's not Cannabis specific it's a lot deeper than that it's all about building a living soil more less and growing in it. It's an awesome idea and really works well I'm just getting my feet wet in it so. :) Enjoy man I've read that book 3 times!!! :up:

Back