Worth replacing T5s with leds?

ClearBarbedFunk

Invalid Email Users
Leds are all the rage and understand the benefits replacing hps/mh and such with leds, saves me on pwr and heat.

I picked up two koscheal fixtures( never heard of um, there burpels) with both veg and bloom switches on they run 230 watts.

Then got 5 Mars 150w dimmable units. I know there bottom of the line leds, but just wondering if they would work better then T5s which a 6 bulb is like 234w. I have 4, 6 and 8 bulb units over a 4x8 tray for veg.

Meaning is the spectrum with the leds much better then T5s for veg.

Thanks

Really depends on the fixture, what kind of diodes it has. The dimmable Mars units could be good for clones and veg, hard to say w/o specs. The main thing with LEDs in cloning and veg applications is, you either need dimming, or headroom, because they are brighter than T5s and will bleach foliage if not set up properly.

What are the model numbers on the various units? Usually manufacturers publish spectrum charts for their fixtures. Imho you want plenty of blue-range spectrum, like 6000K and higher, for clones and veg. Keeps 'em shorter and the nodes tighter.

Really depends on the fixture, what kind of diodes it has. The dimmable Mars units could be good for clones and veg, hard to say w/o specs. The main thing with LEDs in cloning and veg applications is, you either need dimming, or headroom, because they are brighter than T5s and will bleach foliage if not set up properly.

What are the model numbers on the various units? Usually manufacturers publish spectrum charts for their fixtures. Imho you want plenty of blue-range spectrum, like 6000K and higher, for clones and veg. Keeps 'em shorter and the nodes tighter.

I’m checkin specs, more or less I’d like to save on pwr, just that the T5s contribute a lot when on to heating the spot. Leds don’t toss much heat at all, and means my heater is running more often, and those little effers eat the pwr. Will cut the watts in half as far as pwr draw.

Will be used in veg only, have a Mars TS100 in Polly tent, and covers the 3x3 real well, no dimmer. The ones I got today are ts150 dimmable. 4 should provide plenty of coverage, and stick those others i between, there mostly blue., should cover the whole spectrum I’d think. Guess I’ll dig in and study some of those colored charts, hehe

any cheap 4ft hardware led light will be just fine for cloning and veg growth..they have come a long way

i run my clones under T'5 when the get potted up, I have them under this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...&terminal_id=c762a10763424fcaa30d3e57cc0d5dc4

the site states this runs full spectrum light, including Uv and IR

Damn thing is a plant growing machine. The root mass get huge very quickly. I have this LED next to a Mars Hydro light of similar design and the apollo 8 blows Mars Hydro away. It is a bit more pricy but well worth is, in my opinion

I veg my clones under T-5`s until they are roughly 8 - 10 inches high...i keep the light very close to them and veg them under 24 hours of light...keeps them short with tight nodes...they go under the LED`s for at least 2 weeks after that depending on the strain...take care n stay safe.

I have a 4k spectrum in veg and like it, mine was from HLG but I’m sure there are cheaper options now. I’d recommend getting one with a dimmer as they can shock the shit out of the little ones when on full blast.

I have a 4k spectrum in veg and like it, mine was from HLG but I’m sure there are cheaper options now. I’d recommend getting one with a dimmer as they can shock the shit out of the little ones when on full blast.

i've never had a problem with light. I've put new clones under a 1K watt MH and they grew like crazy. Same with the LED's

If you want a great 'INEXPENSIVE" LED light setup.. check out HLUX. You can get a pair for under $75 as I pay $40 for a pair of 2 footers and have 4, loved them so much I bought
a 2nd pair.
Like K says, most are alike.. these work as I've used them for a few months now and have the bright white daytime spectrum output.. it's a full spectrum and goes from veg to bloom

I use 2 for veg and 2 I added to my Spider Farmer SF1000 in my taller tent.

3 wks old under 2 of them lights, just up potted 3 days ago.
7 Gamhazn ladies 2.jpg

If you want a great 'INEXPENSIVE" LED light setup.. check out HLUX. You can get a pair for under $75 as I pay $40 for a pair of 2 footers and have 4, loved them so much I bought
a 2nd pair.
Like K says, most are alike.. these work as I've used them for a few months now and have the bright white daytime spectrum output.. it's a full spectrum and goes from veg to bloom

I use 2 for veg and 2 I added to my Spider Farmer SF1000 in my taller tent.

3 wks old under 2 of them lights, just up potted 3 days ago.
View attachment 349772

I’m not buying, just wondering if it was worth swapping out T5s for small leds which I was gifted, 7 of um.

And well it was definitly worth it. I set up 5 of um over a 4x8 tray, easily out shine the 3 T5s, and cut my wattage in half. Mars 150w dimmable, I started at full pwr, and within two days I could see I had to turn um down a bit.

Veg spot is blowing up with growth and as usual I have to many seed plants now that are growing to fast. Plants are visibly thicker stemmed and bigger fans, much nicer veg plants. Can’t believe I been under T5s for 20yrs in veg, should of updated long ago, lol.

Looking forward to how this will effect the plants in flower.

Okay, so y'all are using led's for veg (instead of MH) and hps to flower? TIA!

Combinations of fixtures in flower here, leds now in veg.

Light fixtures are like freaking iPhones now, you go out and spend good chunk on new, and 3 months down the road there’s newer and better. But seems most are going to leds, even giant commercial grows. Savings on pwr, run much cooler and they seem to work really well.

JungleBoyz did a lot of work with different types and pwr developing there lighting company. The over all jist of it was, we are over pwring our grows, they found 400w leds, not sure of spectrum, produced the best.

What are y'all using for flower?

I run a 4 foot cool tube with a 1K watt HPS in each end, mounted vertically. I can get 8-9 plants around it and grow them 4-5 feet tall. I also have a COB LED from BC Blondes. I got a deal on it since it was a model they were phasing out. Cost me just under a grand with the canadian exchange rate. Damn thing is wonderful.

you can see the Vertical Cool tune in the back and the COB in the very top part of the pic
room shot1.jpg
https://bcblondes.com/

I run a 4 foot cool tube with a 1K watt HPS in each end, mounted vertically. I can get 8-9 plants around it and grow them 4-5 feet tall. I also have a COB LED from BC Blondes. I got a deal on it since it was a model they were phasing out. Cost me just under a grand with the canadian exchange rate. Damn thing is wonderful.

you can see the Vertical Cool tune in the back and the COB in the very top part of the pic
View attachment 349776
https://bcblondes.com/

I really miss my cool tube setup man... 600w over 3 plants SCROG style. I've read that adding a COB light to anything for a flower room adds a spectrum that they just LOVE..
your grow is proof of this. Your killing it buddy. Keep up the fine work.

Might have something for you to try in that nice setup of yours... hit me up.

For those of us on a small, I mean small, Budget... I have $175 invested in my 3 lights I run in my flower room and I think I need to add a small COB.

Spider Farmer SF1000 (approx 300w), 2 @ 40wea strip LED HLUX lights. approx 380w total full spectrum

Autos at 27 days from seed

Gamhazn Auto 27 days b (2).jpg

[MENTION=3960]Cartman[/MENTION], I appreciate your kind word, my friend. it's been a while since I'ce actually had a decent grow. Finally pulled my head out of my butt.

Back