water cure

baronA

hi y'all;

this is a few articles on water cure/technique.

i recommend it for every time you want unadulterated flavor in your extracts.
it will also smooth out harsh, over dried mj.

i'm no scientist, nor is there a holiday inn express anywhere around; but i've done food extractions for decades. this is all firmly based in food chemistry. others can offer the technical details.

http://www.cannabis.info/us/abc/30004048-how-to-water-cure-cannabis
http://original-ssc.com/Cannabis-Marijuana/2011/10/water-curing/
http://www.hailmaryjane.com/wisdom-wednesday-water-curing-your-weed/

bonne chance!
A

Me too Big ...I would also like to try it but am leary of not missing a water change. I am very scatter brained at times..lol

I personally feel like this is a great example of over complicating an incredibly simple process, and that for many people this over complication will only mean wasted flowers/meds that could have been just fine previously.

It might be fine to clean up some crappy into something less crappy, but I'd never risk my flowers doing something written by a layperson.

"and that for many people this over complication will only mean wasted flowers/meds that could "

>>>you mean in regards to drying weed [just do it the normal way?]

or the water cure process is overly complicated?

I think I mean both?

I would say just dry/cure the normal way, AND that the water cure process is overly complicated.

ok i understand...

if you are old and remember colombian...that was done thewater/pit way

yeh i bet they didn't change water twice a day but added water change

its no more

compicated

than bho purge instructions[joke]

and in the end you are prob right but some people like to play

nah i am too lazy

Reactions: mre
I think that to say any method of curing is over complicated and not worth the time is a bit short sighted. The whole concept came from the tobacco industry, and look at the numerous methods they use to create unique flavor profiles.... from typical hang drying and bale curing to fire curing etc. Each method has it's own application and may not work for yours, but to say it's not worth the time is maybe discounting someone elses goals.

Not everyone grows it just to throw buds in a pipe and smoke...... granted that's my primary concern but not everyones.

I've tried it a few times with small batches and noticed that after I pulled the buds out of the water, they seemed to dry faster than if i had just hung them to dry (at least when it's humid in my area).... kind of strange but maybe it has to do with some of what the water takes out of the plant material, or maybe I just convinced myself of something that isnt true.

I can't remember how the smoke came out one vs the other but there must not have been a whole lot of difference in my testing or I'd probably have a better recollection of the whole thing.

THC

thank you for this, I lost track of it and was just needing it. The high cbd strains I have don't taste good for honey syrup (white rasta's recipe) or smell good for topicals. This is not hard to do and worth the effort. The smoke is very clean and smooth.

OK here is my experience about 7 years ago or so, I did everything like stated in a proper manner, the smoke was smooth and rich but no flavor. I recall seeing oily film on top of the water the first 3 days which I'm thinking was the terpenes. Yes in dried quicker and was smooth with no harshness, but lacked all the flavor. Only did a small branch in the name of R & D, the rest of the plant was trimmed hanged dried and cured properly, the resulting flowers tasted of muted grape on the inhale and fruity undertones on the exhale, the strain in question was Jackberry from Sannie's seeds. Once again just my experience, results may vary as y'all know. Sending good vibes to everyone...

RA

hi y'all;

again still so much misunderstanding. i don't recommend this for your smoke, it DEFINITELY removes many of the flavor, which is WHY you do it. 99% of people, do not enjoy what most edibles taste like. those who do are fooling themselves. tofukey doesn't taste like turkey, carob is not chocolate & veggie burgers do NOT "taste just as good".
this is specifically directed to those who make edibles!!
this is NOT anecdotal, this is real. you believe or not, i couldn't care less. you want the best quality product? do the water cure. you want to have faith in what you or your circle does? fine, but don't pretend what you do is as effective; it just isn't. if after the 1st day, look @ your drained water. if you want to drink that, let me know; now think about all that crap in your lungs or extraction(fat/alcohol). it's way uglier than pond water.

this is 1 of the early processes in making "thai stix". i was taught this in the mid 70's by a Vietnamese guy, who brought his family to our area after the diaspora. it's also a better way for people who have issues w/harsh smoke.

amazing how people can remember water/nute/light schedules & the myriad of details to grow & can't remember to perform a 2 min function to result in a better product. it's only necessary to change the water 1x per day.
it's no more complicated than dry & then cure, but it IS faster & removes off flavors. it WILL give you a better finish product. it certainly cuts down on the post extraction cleaning & still does a better job.

NO OTHER method will give you a clear, clean finish extraction. even folding in bho will affect the flavor of you products more & is considerably more complicated, dangerous, expensive.

hela, it's only over complicated if you make it so. it CERTAINLY is worth the effort for EDIBLES! the only way to destroy it, is to not pay attention. over watering your plant will cause more damage. unless you use water that is too hot/cold or you close it up, no mater how long it sits, it will dry & yield a usable product. the plant is brought to the water when fresh NOT after a dry/cure(that is why it is faster).

bonne chance!
A

the articles cited in the first post make it crystal clear that water curing method eliminates all smell and taste (terps). that's what is it meant to do, like baron said.

but at least one of the articles also states that the resulting herb can be used not only for edibles, where it makes most sense, but also for those who are looking for a more 'stealth' smoke to avoid the noses of parents, cops and other authorita from taking notice.

yet another reason is an overall faster dry/cure than air dried, approx 7 days vs 3 weeks or more. one negative aspect of water cure, and you know there would be at least one more, is that the nugz come out with lower bag appeal...something that a dealer or dispensary would want to avoid.

for people like us here, we adore the wonderful smells and complex tastes of air dried nugz. so water cure makes less sense for the connoisseur. i feel it is recommended for virgin/newbie smokers because the resulting herb smokes so smoothly (in some cases almost too smoothly, per the articles) and their senses aren't in tune yet anyway as compared with those people who have been smoking for years (my wife is a great example, she doesn't understand nor can she discern the wide range of complex smells and tastes...but she wants a smoke that won't make her cough). according to the articles, water cure is also useful for buds that are too dry or have been dried/cured the wrong way. YMMV on that point.

i discovered another interesting side effect of water cure that i didn't know. water cure creates higher overall THC percentages. according to the articles, this occurs because water cure results in lower overall dry yield than air cure, reason being the water nugz lose more unwanted ingredients (chlorophyll and salts) than air dry, making the THC and probably CBD more concentrated.

here's a snippet from the 3rd article talking about this.

How potency is increased through the water cure?
I should explain this so that the conspiracy theory kooks don’t land on me like a ton of bricks. Here’s the “magic” behind the increased potency you get by water curing.

For the sake of making it simple, I’ll use an example of 100 grams of bud going into the pot.

Now, you had this bud assayed and know that 15% of it is pure THC.
15% of 100 grams is 15 grams. So in our example the 100 grams of fresh bud has 15 grams of THC in it.

You water cure it and dry it. Now you have only 70 grams of bud left. WTF? But you are deceived because the 15 grams of THC is part of the remaining 70 grams of bud. 15 divided by 70 equals 21.42%.

Sooo….The mass didn’t change, just some of the things that were there – aren’t there anymore, so what is left becomes a bigger proportion of the entirety.

You go assay your water cured bud and find out it has 21.42% THC content – a 50% increase in potency.
have to say i got schooled in this thread on water cure, which i poo-poo'd for years due to its removal of water soluble terps we love. I've got a small harvest on its way and am going to try this out on a couple of nugz in a quart jar as an experiment. nothing fancy.

bottom line IMHO is that water cure is good for your personal smoke and or edibles, but probably not recommended for retail sale. since i work from home most days changing out the water 2x a day isn't going to be too complicated (the post-water drying process looks to be the hardest part, but people here all know how to dry and cure their stash ;)

re-reading what i wrote, and i know it came out sounding preachy. which wasn't my intent. seems that water cure isn't for everybody, but it has its positive attributes nevertheless.

^^^ "you must spread some manna around before giving it to Funky Nugz again" Nice post Funky!

So, I got an ounce of early outdoor a few months back for $100. Not worth $50, but it does produce an ok buzz. Soon, that will be all that's left until the next harvest.

I'll be curing most of what's left of the crappy harsh outdoor, don't care if there's no flavor left - bit of lemon there now and a whole lotta ass to go w/ it. Get rid of both!

Away for a long weekend, will start it on Monday and report back. Was thinking to heat-squish it, but this is going to be easier in the short term.

Thanks for the thread BaronA. I actually tried this years ago based on a similar thread, but wasn't thinking about it recently until this popped up, and have been following along... :cigar2:

*tag*
gotta read this thread when its almost too late to do so, in august or so...

Last edited:
Back