Understanding the science behind drying/curing

I'm back with some results!

I have been able to to consistently hit 7 days now drying and it by far has given me the smoothest smoke I've ever produced. But it just isn't where I want it. I have one jar that entered curing at 63%, 2 weeks now. Its smooth, burns white ash. Can hit it without coughing or destroying your throat. I still have to wait 2 more weeks to see if it gets any better or not. Another entered cure at 61%, one at 58% and I think I accidentally over dried my latest. There isn't much difference between them all, not yet anyways. When my bud is ready for the jars, I trim the bud off the stems so its basically nugs only.

Any suggestions where I'm messing up? I'm slowly adding more and more product into my bags every time as I become confident. I'm wondering if by adding more I'll be able to get a better aroma or maybe slowing the process down and in turn, better aroma? I know genetics can play a key but I don't think they are my problem.

I don't even think adding extra layers of paper bags helped any. Hard to say, by using 2 paper bags and extra product in the bag I was able to go from 7 days to 8 days lol. It is pretty frustrating, but at least I got some smooth bud to smoke :drool::drool:

I think it must have been dry where you were, they will settle in a bit in the jars just keep them cool and dark, burp them occasionally, once they have the cure you want, if your going to store them for extended periods of time use a vacuum pump on the jar to remove as much air as possible.

I think it must have been dry where you were, they will settle in a bit in the jars just keep them cool and dark, burp them occasionally, once they have the cure you want, if your going to store them for extended periods of time use a vacuum pump on the jar to remove as much air as possible.

Yeah, its hella dry around here. In the summer time its perfect for drying. This winter crap is a buzz kill. I ended up sticking them in the jar on the stem. The RH slowly climbed up to 63%. I cut the nugs off the stem and filled up two jars. Crisis averted I think, haha.

I found this post over on IC by highonmt...

"Actually you are wrong... the biosynthesis of terpenoids is covered in most biochem 101 classes here is an oversimplified overview.

terpenes are used in for a vast number of purposes within the plant most importantly imo as endocrine homones and signaling compounds eg phytosteroids but also to protect the plant from predators and many others...

I dry my plants in the dark at 50 percent rh and 75f for about 5-7 days after removing all the fan leaves. A small fan blows constantly below the drying plants but never on them. This high rh allows the plants to finish cellular activity and enzyme activity including catobolism of harsh chlorophyll and nfcm's. The plants are placed in glass jars when the stem just about snaps and the jars a 'burped' daily watching for any condensation. Once they reach my desired dryness they are sealed in the jars till use. This method emulates a slat barn in Virgina or Cuba slow drying with no stagnent air is the key.
Using this method you do not drive off the aromatic amines, esters and terpenes that give the taste profile of cannabis it's unique properties and it just plain makes yer herb smoke and taste like it should.
HM"

"HUH....jarring properly does not result in screwed up anything as long as you don't screw up and let condesation happen in the jar. If your herb is sufficiently dry jarring causes no 'fermentation' at all if it does you fukced up and yer herb is wet. This ain't tobacco where you bundle it and let is heat up. Every day one must shake or stir the jar/bucket to make sure it ain't clumping and then leave it open for a half hour to allow air exchange and prevent anaerobic fermentation.
Jarring prevents the aromatics from leaving your plant as it dries by letting the vapor pressure rise in a controlled space thus preventing further volitalization. Ditto for the direct wind on your plant which is a really bad idea imo. You know all that smell which by the way is also taste...well that smell is a whole bunch of volatile compounds mainly amines, esters, terpenes etc reaching the olfactory receptors in yer nose my friend. In order to get to your nose they left your plant material savey, well now imagine very gentle breezes and high vapor pressure due to high rh holding those lil tasty bits in yer herbs...mmm tastey eh. Also properly jarred and cured herb is hard and does not crumble when broken unlike rapidly dried herb which turns to dust. The smoothness and taste is worlds above rapid curing methods...although some folks do prefer a bottle of this years montana red eye to 20 year old bourbon which I believe parallels why some folks cant see a difference in beaster crispy herb vs slow cured kindness. Here is a pic of properly cured herb notice the trichs are still full and not shrunken and the leaves are not shriveled..."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221090&page=3

Back