Trichomes - Resin Glands - When to Harvest

Defacto

Conflicting information leads me to post this.

I had forgotten that Mel Frank says the appearance of indoor and outdoor trichomes (he prefers resin glands) will differ.

Trichomes.jpg

something in my files

when to harvest - trichomes.jpg

from: https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?36374-How-to-tell-when-to-harvest

Resin Gland Ripeness - melfrank4001.jpg

This is what Mel Frank says

I believe I have seen Boo post that he has a fondness for Indicas with amber trichs.

I've had some of Putembk's buds with clear trichs.

What is the TRUE best time to harvest? :)

^^^same here.

I remember reading somewhere that chopping when they're still clear produces the most potency though.

^^^same here.

I remember reading somewhere that chopping when they're still clear produces the most potency though.

From my experience, this holds true. I'll take a sleeping pill if I want to snooze. I don't want my herb putting me to sleep. I want that full on psychedelic effect that only seems to come with clear trichomes.

The white widow x northern lights that i had from Emery seemed to be one that would keep putting on clear ones, so you could end up with a pretty balanced ratio, if taken long. Maybe it was how they were getting fed?

Use to use a scope back in the day..after so many years I just know when its time..usually aim for mid October but sometimes due to weather and mold it has to come down a bit early..a touch of amber is okay but cloudy is preferred..never have had any complaints..

Like drifting & guerilla, for 25+ years I always harvested when cloudy & amber. (20% amber was the number most commonly stated.)

An article that I read, said to go with all clear for the most heady experience, as alabaster & gueriila said.

nanny & rosso go for something in between. :)

I did the all clear for the first time last grow and liked several strains, but Diesel (Original) seems terrible; just a minor buzz.

So, I was kinda looking for others experiences. Thanks all for sharing yours.

Here we go; likely explains my diesel problem.

tldr: Harvesting at this stage when little if any trichomes are milky yet, can be tricky. Harvesting too early can make for a beautiful plant that will not have much psychoactive capability!

I think this is from 420 magazine forums:

How to know when to harvest.
This was written by oregongrown on my old site...

The essential facts of timing your harvest

You've managed to make it to the end. You've maintained your plants well, now it's getting closer to harvest time, and you're wondering just how and when to harvest and dry those beautiful buds. Hopefully I can give you some insight into how this can be successfully done; the do's and dont's of proper harvesting and curing. First, lets take a look at the harvest side of things.

Timing of your harvest is critical! Harvesting at maximum ripeness is the key. In my experience, there is usually a five to seven day window when the Cannabis plant will be at maximum ripeness. To understand this, you will need a jeweler’s loupe, or magnifying lens, light optional. I would recommend a power of 30x or better, but you can get by with less. A greater magnification makes it much easier to see the trichome heads at the top of the stalked resin glands.

Resin gland color, potency, and type of high

Gland color will vary with ripeness of the individual THC glands, starting at clear, turning to milky, then turning to an amber color. There may be some exceptions, such as some of the Blue strains and Blackberry. These will have darker, sometimes purple gland heads. But by far and large, these three steps of ripeness will exist with the vast majority of strains on the market. The first stage, clear, will tend to make for a more cerebral, up high, with very little body effect. Harvesting at this stage when little if any trichomes are milky yet, can be tricky. Harvesting too early can make for a beautiful plant that will not have much psychoactive capability! THC needs to "mature" to be able to pass its psychoactive capabilities down to the smoker. This is why I always recommend waiting until 50% of the trichomes hit the second stage: milky or creamy. At this point, you will definitely have a plant which has reached its genetic potential.

The milky trichomes have some "cerebral" qualities, as well as some of the more "physical" characteristics of the high. The last stage, amber, brings on a more sedative, physical stone. If this is what you're looking for, than I would recommend a sativa/indica cross, or an indica dominant plant. Amber trichomes seem to ruin a sativa high if the plant goes too long. The below photo is a good example of a ripe plant: at least 50% of the gland heads have turned "milky," some heads are still clear, and a few are amber. This plant was harvested two days later.

Many times you'll read from new growers, "My hairs are 50% changed to brown or red, looks like its ready to come down." Calyx hairs turning color is one thing, calyx hairs withering, is another. When they have withered, they are for the most part, as ripe as they will get. But just turning red/brown does not necessarily mean the plant is ready. Calyx hairs are just an indicator that the plant is ripening, not necessarily ripe yet. I have taken full Indica strains with 60% hairs turned, and sativas when 90% hairs have turned, and they were all at peak ripeness. The trichome color is the only true indicator!

Last edited:
to complex for me Defacto..if my hands are so sticky from checking some buds so that I can barely open my hand after putting them in a fist its harvest time..I like growing different strains so that I can hang stuff in the barn at different stages come harvest..your best friend is having lots of dehumidifiers..

I added a tldr for you.

The sticky idea doesn't work, unfortunately, that diesel is way sticky.
(btw, Colorado needs humidifiers!) :)

Diesel (Original).jpg

Hey everyone! Just hoping to update this thread with a little bit of the latest research on trichome morphology and biochemistry.

Recent research suggests that an easy indicator for maturity is trichome stalk length. The gland heads continue to swell and fill along the same rate that stalk length increases. This gives us one more attribute to look at, and happens to be linked directly with cannabinoid production. As pointed out with a great graphic from JoeCrowe at OG (hoping he'll post it here) showing that fully mature trichomes resemble a candy cane with a bulbous head.

I saw a great comment about harvesting early to maximize THC and that is absolutely true so far. Articles researching cannabinoid concentrations support week 6 being close to the time that THC is peaking. As you fine folk here know, THC isn't everything which implies the last few weeks are more about terpene production and cannabinoid maturation.

Hope some of this info is of use to someone! I have started harvesting when trichome stalks appear to stop growing and have noticed an increase in quality. I find this is also simpler than color and can easily be checked using my cell phone camera. There is likely a genetic component to this also, which is one reason why this should be taken holistically with other measures of maturity you measure.

Conflicting information leads me to post this.

I had forgotten that Mel Frank says the appearance of indoor and outdoor trichomes (he prefers resin glands) will differ.

View attachment 333322

something in my files

View attachment 333321

from: https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?36374-How-to-tell-when-to-harvest

View attachment 333323

This is what Mel Frank says

I believe I have seen Boo post that he has a fondness for Indicas with amber trichs.

I've had some of Putembk's buds with clear trichs.

What is the TRUE best time to harvest? :)
From my experience the ratio of amber to cloudy trichomes hardly makes a difference. Best time to harvest is when the plants looks done as a whole. She usually starts to drink less, the color of the whole bud has a “finished” look to it, pistils usually stop shooting new ones and fully turn amber..

Back