Thin layer chromatography

TheyCallHimBeAn

[Cannabis Connoisseur]
People of the island, I yearn for your knowledge.

I have been slowly aquiring the things needed to do quantative bulk testing of seedlings, which will help me not having to bioassay lots of hemp and perhaps allow me to pull out some interesting chemotypes.

I wondered if there is anyone here that has done this and has some advice on putting together a method

Managed to get a reaction column that takes large plates for a really good price, but the solvents required require a bit of work to get my hands on, as a non registered lab with Ltd company etc.

Thanks cabanites in advance.

I too yearn for knowledge. I am a hobby grower and a total geek. TLC looks fun to me. I find the commercial test kits to be price prohibitive, but I bought one anyway. Luckily, my daughter (I will call her ZZ so she can keep her job) is a Sr. Chemist at a pharmaceutical company. She will walk me through the process and help me with lab technique. I'll share what I learn here. ZZ says she has done so many TLC's on so many compounds that she can probably identify the solvents and reagents by look and smell. We shall see. Results can't really be compared unless they are using the same technique.

I find the "dot" (blob) size difficult and subjective to quantify. I've looked at several free analysis tools and found this one to work pretty well: http://justquantify.com/DefaultHD.aspx I understand there are others out there. I've tried a few that sucked. this is the first one I've found to be useful. Fellow TLC Islanders, what free analysis tools are you using and how do they compare to "JustQuantify" ?JustQuantify.JPG

People of the island, I yearn for your knowledge.

I have been slowly aquiring the things needed to do quantative bulk testing of seedlings, which will help me not having to bioassay lots of hemp and perhaps allow me to pull out some interesting chemotypes.

I wondered if there is anyone here that has done this and has some advice on putting together a method

Managed to get a reaction column that takes large plates for a really good price, but the solvents required require a bit of work to get my hands on, as a non registered lab with Ltd company etc.

Thanks cabanites in advance.
@TheyCallHimBeAn Questions Questions Questions...
1) where did you find a good price on a reaction column? I don't need a big one, but places like Fisher Scientific are still really expensive. The kit I bought just uses a glass jar and argues that the solution is self leveling. Pretty wasteful IMHO.
2) I've seen many plates specifically for Cannabis. Which one did you settle on?
3) could you give us a quick run down on your current methodology?

Reactions: 180
@TheyCallHimBeAn Questions Questions Questions...
1) where did you find a good price on a reaction column? I don't need a big one, but places like Fisher Scientific are still really expensive. The kit I bought just uses a glass jar and argues that the solution is self leveling. Pretty wasteful IMHO.
2) I've seen many plates specifically for Cannabis. Which one did you settle on?
3) could you give us a quick run down on your current methodology?
On question #1: I got little feedback from ZZ on reaction columns; "don't overthink it. It's a glass box with a lid." Art supply stores often have such items for just a few dollars. We shall see.

Back