The ULTIMATE no spray pesticide/insecticide.

Umamiseedco

No, it's not predators or some other gimmicky nonsense.

Double-wave UVC+UVA light from 270nm-280nm + 395nm-400nm has been shown to be highly effective against most soft bodied insects by severely damaging DNA and RNA. Exposure has been shown to significantly inhibit egg laying, larval development, pupation and adult emergence in spider mites, thrips, aphids, fungus gnats, fruit flys, etc.

Additionally, ultraviolet C (UV-C) light has been shown to suppress powdery mildew at doses between 85 and 200 J m−2 with no damage to the plant. I am currently testing these findings in a small 2x4 tent, and assuming I have similar success, I will be making the necessary modifications to outfit my 7000ft greenhouse and say goodbye to the pesticide cabinet for good!

this sound like my type of IPM strategy.

how long of exposure is needed to be effective?

peace
I am trying out a few different methods, the first being 10 seconds per hour during lights off. Assuming I do not see much if any leaf damage, I will slowly increase the exposure time and frequency until I begin to see damage and then will dial it back down.

so would you apply the light from the bottom of the plant upwards - in my experience most critters favor the underside of the leaves....

not trying to be a smart-ass, sorry if i came across like that.

very interesting, my friend.

I usually get thrips every year. One of the downsides of living in a town surrounded by soybean fields......

usually a couple sprays of Capt Jack's does the trick

Back