THC Percentage

Bilbo

I have not been able to find an answer… Percentage of what?
When cannabis is analyzed, how is the % of THC, CBD, Etc derived?

Usually there is a standard, such as by weight, by volume, Etc. Surely a good strain when dried could not show N % by weight, could it? No

Volume does not make sense to me either, as relates to a large unstated variable.

Could it be via a standardized extraction, that a % of the total extracted product is analyzed and partitioned out as relative to that extract weight, which is then quantified by %?

This question vexes me whenever I read a strain report, Etc.
Thanks for any input,
Bilbo

I believe that THC % rates are way over rated!! 1st off, whats their base figure??...and where and when was that conclusion derived from??..1975 Columbian brick??...LOL!!

usually labs buy pure cannabinoides (THC - CBD -BG - etc..) load up the GC or HPLC with it and run the test. since the cannabinoides you ve bought are 100% pure then you have something to compare it to.

and yeah many labs have fantasy numbers when it comes down to testing, a lil sprinkle of kief on the flower tested and the number will rise tremendously, and sometimes the lab people don't clean the GC or HPLC chamber very well and you end up with wrong numbers at the end . (some labs don't wanna test oïl, because it can fuck up the value of other test done after the oïl) hope i m clear enough.
cheers
jeffman
cheers
jeffman

seems it's more how it reacts with ones own chemistry than the numbers..........

ganj on.............

^^ exactly. Numbers are just that, numbers. It seems to me, from Lab to Lab, procedures and quality of testing varies greatly. Even though there is cleary a way to do it, it doesn't always get done right. & like Jeffman says, one only has to sprinkle a little extra on to alter the test results. So you know folks are doing it, for marketing reasons.
Take an old strain like Skunk, most phenos run in he 9 to 12 % range on THC, but most folks will agree, it gives them a very mellow head high, with some body effect. Strains with twice that amount THC don't necessarily make one feel better.
I've got a lady in the stable that runs in the 24 to 26 % THC that is so intense, most folks steer away from her. If they don't puke after a few tokes, they're so noidy, confused, and jacked up, it's not a enjoyable high.
So Barefoot nailed it, it's all about how Mary interacts with our body chemistry, and wheter that's a positive or a negative, that counts, and that varies from person to person.
<edit> My oldest son just tapped me on the shoulder, and reminded me, some folks like noidy, confused, and jacked up. lol... Me, I'm more into up, clear, and mellow.

I don't think there is a problem with residuals fouling up gc/ hplc columns or detectors. I think most are using hplc. The problems and inconsistencies come from poor methods and techniques. If you had one trusted lab and stuck with them, and they had consistent technicians. Then the results would maybe be a good comparison from strain to strain. So much of this is bs labs that are used for marketing .

"It is a golden maxim to cultivate the garden for the nose, and the eyes will take care of themselves."
Robert Louis Stevenson

hey OA
i ve experienced it first hand with the canna foundation (canna nutes foundation down in BCN)

im with those who say that THC #'s don't really matter to the smoker themselves, but it does seem to help in the "marketing" aspect for those who are trying to figure out what to try next. My favorite test that the labs do is actually to see if theres any mold or pesticide residue on the buds, but again that can be skewed.

take care and stay safe everyone

guerilla

for me it's all the cannabinoides that matter not only THC . one of the strongest weed buzz i had (i don't have too many unfortunately..lol) was from a white D that tested only 11% thc but had other cannabinoides (huge myrcene spike on the GC) that made the buzz extremely strong (you can quote me on that, i don't often say that)

Plant material has x% oil by weight. Lets use 20% for this discussion.

Envision that 20% oil analyzes at 85% THC by weight and the balance other stuff.

As far as what that means to the user, it depends on what the balance of the other stuff is, in combination with the THC present. All mono and sesquiterpenes have medicinal effect, right along with the diterpene cannabinoids.

I'm the best tester.. If it kills me it's good,. If it don't it's just OK... :d1:

I don't think much of numbers you can make them say anything you want.. :d1:

trying to understand this......so take one ripe pot plant, dry and cure it. So let us say that this plant has oil in it and when extracted, one can extract 20% oil by volume?

So this extracted cannabis essential oil is full of at least 80 different cannabinoids. When the oil is tested, is it tested for only one cannabinoid---->thc?.........

85% thc and 15% miscellaneous cannabinoids?.....

what about the other 79 cannabinoids?...are they profiled in the test or is that to expensive?.........

Cannabinoids are a class of diverse chemical compounds that activate cannabinoid receptors on cells that repress neurotransmitter release in the brain. These receptor proteins include the endocannabinoids (produced naturally in the body by humans and animals),
[1] the phytocannabinoids (found in cannabis and some other plants), and synthetic cannabinoids (produced chemically by humans). The most notable cannabinoid is the phytocannabinoid ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive compound of cannabis.

[2][3] Cannabidiol (CBD) is another major constituent of the plant, representing up to 40% in its extracts.[4] There are at least 85 different cannabinoids isolated from cannabis, exhibiting varied effects.[5]

The ~20% oil yield from bud is by weight.

85% THC and the balance other terpenes and waxes. Those terpenes include the mono, sesquiterpenes, as well as the diterpene and triterpene cannabinoids.

We only have standards for the three major cannabinoids, but the other standards are available. They show up on the GC as blips, we just don't identify them.

We also can't measure carboxylic acid levels, because the inspection process itself decarboxylates them. A HPLC is needed for that test.

Back