Steampunk Waterpipe Project

Schwilly

Had a garage door spring break, after replacing I did the usual, "I think I could use this someday" and tossed outside. Well today is someday, kind of...

picture.php

I lost on a close live(online) auction for a 19th century Persian pipe. Needing a smoke of defeat outside I was staring at the springs when my stoner inspiration struck...

Visions of Mad Max needing a kick ass steampunk type bong popped in the ol head...

Mad-Max.jpg

So my idea is fairly simple although not without problem solving. The shorter piece has the nice larger internal opening so I will be using this piece.

Dimensions- 1 3/4 inch internal but narrowing to 1 1/2 on the bottom, 10 1/2 inches tall, 2 1/4 external circumference.

picture.php

picture.php

I was just going to keep it simple and insert a suitable size tube(acrylic or glass prefer glass if I can find it) into the middle of the spring, securing both down on the chosen base(I was thinking about a nicely rusted metal chunk or possibly just wood).

Problem 1- Each coil is about 1/4 wide, my stem I need to drill needs to be around 3/4ish, this would separate the spring severing at least 2 full coils...

Don't know how to weld but could possibly get someone to tack a patch to drill into so it stays together... Other then that I'm at a loss on this part, any Idea's?

picture.php

Next step I need to find a tube the right size with a smooth stem section as most have at least a small bump out for the stem. Any idea's?

Was thinking something like this but glass
waterpipe_141002-16_1.jpg

Lastly assuming the project gets to finishing stage, what to seal the rusted patina with?

Welcome aboard, should be a wild ride...
e1e0d30cb10c2d213f783dc95fd6ba6c.jpg

Thanks for any input or advise:puffpuffpass:

Back