Squished buds!!!

Reed Man

Hey fellows, I'm looking for some help.

How do you avoid squishing your buds after chop? Its pissing me off that I go through all the trouble of careful trimming, not touching during growth, careful hang drying....only to have my buds get all squished to fuck and stuck together in the paper bags stage. I have a hanging closet (portable, thanks Walmart) that works great to hang in. After 3-4 days I break em down off the branches onto a multi level drying rack. Then into jars or bags to burp...this is where they get mangled and I'm sick of it!!

Help me out dudes, what's your pro harvest secrets?

I use 1 gal jars for curing, then go into quart jars.
Doesn't seem to be a problem unless I cram them too full.
I also go directly from trim to the 1 gal jars, no racks.

As stated, just store in larger containers. I use tupperware for shorter term, glass for long term.

On another note, I'm sometimes forced to squish my buds. :pale:

Thanks guys. I have one big mason jar and you are right, way better than cramming the quart jars full. Guess I will buy a bunch of those big ones.

Tupperware is something I always thought about as you can store any buds on a single level and they probably sweat well, might buy one of those to try. :salut:

Last edited:
Reed Man I don't understand how you manage to smash your buds. I hang them until the stems start to snap then into sacks and gently close it. I wait until the buds are dry and not spongy. Then into quart jars, lots of them, fill them half full and give them a nice long cure. I don't see how you can squash the buds using this method. Oh, as far as trimming goes....I remove all the fan leaves after deboning them and do a dry trim before going into sacks.
If you do it this way and u are careful you should never have a problem. imo....

I used to wait until stem snap to break em down but I found I was over drying this way and never getting the full true aroma back. Last run I broke em down when the outside of the buds are dry or a little crispy to the touch but the stem still does not snap. Crazy aroma with absolutely no leaf or hay smell residual, even different phenos of the same strain smelled fully differentiated from one another. I do fill mason jars pretty full which seems to be a no go. Paper bags over half full and the weight of the mass becomes too much for the bottom buds and I end up with a paper bag sized brick of sticky. I hate pulling them apart though. When doing like this squishing is more of an issue, they're not flattened or anything but I am aiming for basically full shape preservation as when alive. I tend to over think and over perfect things but I will probably not go back until waiting for stem snap because IMO that is over dry in my environment and full flavor is not possible after.

Last edited:
Is that braggin' or complaining? :D

Complaining, people don't like fluffy bud here. They'll compliment the joint when it's rolled, but actually scoff at the bud they just complimented because it's fluffy. I've had someone complain, so I squished his next batch in a bag and he loved it. It's retarded IMO.

I use the styrofoam shipping containers from Omaha steaks. They have tons of room, keeps things dark, and temps stable.

And they absolutely contain any hint of the rankest, dankest, cured for 8 years, stankinest buds you put in them. Combined with Boveda they are the best high volume storage you can get..

@ Reed Man.....noticed a couple of things you do differently from me according to your last post.
First, humidity.....when I cut down and hang my plants I let the room humidity climb to around 60% and slowly let it drop to 50% as the plants start to dry. I don't ever let the humidity to drop below 50% in order to keep the buds from drying to fast. After 7 or 8 days using this technique the buds are ready for a dry trim. A good measuring stick is when the sugar leaves tend to just break away when you just touch them with scissors.
Next into sacks. I only fill the sack to the first fold, about 3 or 4 inches deep. When the outer buds get good and dry its now time to move to jars. The outside of the buds feel dry but not the inside. Then its just a process of spongy/dry until you can leave them in the jar for a week until the spongy comes back out. Then to market.
My buds will rehydrate if left alone for a couple of months.
The taste, flavor and dank smell always comes back using this method. Again just my .02.

That sounds like a perfect method putembk.

I wish I could get a nice 7 day dry but i use natural temps, current setup too small to utilize a dehuey so I just run off ambient humidity, 50% or so which I realize messes things up a bit. But the technique I described let's me dry in 4 days and have basically cured product by day 7 which is nice. I go into and out of jars/bags about 3 times with sugar leaves still on, which brings me to today when I can start dry trimming. Once the leaves are removed at this point its dank skank, doing it like this and keeping that moisture high gives me the sweatiest product I can find. If the bud ever dries out too much and needs rehydration with other buds, it misses the process IMO and some of the smallest pieces always do.

Erring on the side of moist gives me legit stickz 2 wallz for days type bud :lucy:...but does bring its own issues. I'll have to post some pictures in this thread once I find the upload tutorial...

Last edited:
Hey if it works for you....do it. I never go to jars without the buds being completely trimmed. But that is just me. I do believe your squished buds are because your are putting to much product into sacks and the weight is mashing down the lower buds. Good luck and happy gardening.

Back