Small grow space fan hack

WrinkledNugSack

I'm certain many people have purchased the small fans for in smaller grow spaces and found that they are hardly worth the purchase price.

To remedy this, I bought a Hurricane Classic Oscillating wall mount 16" fan (hgc736503_re) years ago. I mounted it on a section of "puck board" and zip tied it to the cross braces on my tent.

It moved far too much air for in my 5'x5', so I removed the cage around the fan (because who cares about safety anyway) and then removed the fan blade. They are quite pliable so I took a marker and marked off about a 25cm section along the outer blade perimeter on one blade. I then took a tin snip and cut this piece off.

Using the same piece I cut off, I marked the other two blades in hopes that the fan blade would still remain somewhat balanced after surgery.

After removing the other two blade sections, I found that the blade remained fairly balanced, so I remounted it on the fan.

It worked so well that I decided to buy two more identical fans and cut the blades in different radius' so I can change them out at different times throughout the grow.

A caution here: There is a point (and it comes quicker than one might think) that the fan blade can be too small and not move much air at all. I would try removing the 25mm section first, then work my way down from there, instead of going too far the first time. If memory serves me correctly, I think I would have been close to 40mm and that was on the verge of too much... but its good for seedlings to get them used to the breeze.

Another caution: Unless you re-install the fan cage, you want to be wary of that rotating fan. I only run mine on low at all times and have gotten too close, and man, that baby will open you up! I suppose a person could use a 240 grit flapper disc on an angle grinder and try to smooth the edges a bit, but caution is the key... even sanded down that thing would at least sting.

So, for about $200.00 I have 3 fans, 3 exchangeable blades and three of the metal hooks that the fan hangs from. I mounted them at different heights along my puck board mounting plate and can raise or lower the fan as needed. (You have to space them correctly though.)

I think my first fan has been rotating for at least 5 years and still have two new in the boxes... I should be set for the rest of my growing days, and if not, there will likely be some fancy new do-dad that will catch my eye and render them obsolete.

Reactions: 180
Back