Schwilly's Recipe book

Lets talk Ice Cream or more precise in this case Frozen Custard...

Glycerine and butter based extracts are known to mix in recipe's of ice cream, but again my love of coconut goodness I'll be using coconut oil this round.

I usually just add medicated brownies or some other additive to make it easy, this round I was asked for some double dose. To further complicate this recipe the wife is insisting on pecan praline so I will brake this up into 2 parts.

Double Dose Petrified Pecan Praline Custard!!!

Part 1

Toasted coconut Pecan Praline

First part is kind of tricky as I have just modified a english toffee recipe to get Pecan Praline. Here is the recipe.

2/3 cup butter (only real butter can be used in this recipe)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely broken pecans
1/3 cup coconut oil

Directions

In heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, water, and salt.
Cook to hard-crack stage (300°F) stirring constantly and watching carefully.
Immediately pour into ungreased 13"x9" pan.
Cool until hard.

I cut back a bit of butter, water and added the coconut oil to the original. I really like to do 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup white sugar for added flavor. I also don't take it to hard crack stage, stopping just before. Then transfer to a saucepan adding the pecans and mixing until a nice golden brown color(sorry had to move quick and didn't get a pic of the sauce pan). The oil will seperate and will look all crazy, don't worry it will soak back in while it is cooling.:applause:

1. ingredients
picture.php

2. Toast the pecans on 375 for 5-6 minutes
picture.php

3. Mix butter, sugars, coconut oil & water and heat on medium stirring constantly.
picture.php

4. It will kind of look like this when you transfer to sauce pan and add the pecans.
picture.php

5. Heat mixture in saucepan on medium heat until it changes to a golden brown color(about 5-10 min). Pour out into line dish for cooling. Oil will seperate but don't worry, it will soak back into the praline. Just be sure its all contained in dish.
picture.php

6. Toasted Coconut Pecan Praline goodness
picture.php

Update... I would leave the coconut oil out of the Custard recipe, it did not set quite right. This Custard recipe is amazing without it so from now on I'll leave it pure and add medicated ingredients.

Part 2

Double Dose Petrified Pecan Praline Custard!!!

Be warned, not everyone can handle the power of a killer custard!:prop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzDdVh_3ylY

I am going to share my favorite custard recipe, hands down. Its a base you can flavor anyway you want. I do only use 3 eggs as 6 is a little much. Usually I don't medicate this part and when I do its usually glycerine based but wife loves coconut flavor with pecans.

This is the original recipe that can be found here http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/01/dining/the-master-ice-cream-recipe.html

Ice Cream Base(medicated)

Time: 20 minutes plus several hours’ cooling, chilling and freezing

2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup whole milk
⅔ cup sugar
⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup coconut oil
Your choice of flavoring (see grid below, or invent your own)

1. In a small pot, simmer cream, milk, sugar and salt until sugar completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. In a separate bowl, whisk yolks. Whisking constantly, slowly whisk about a third of the hot cream into the yolks, then whisk the yolk mixture back into the pot with the cream. Return pot to medium-low heat and gently cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer).

2. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cool mixture to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.

3. Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve directly from the machine for soft serve, or store in freezer until needed.

To medicate this batch(along with the pecan praline) we just take out 1/3 cup milk and add coconut oil. For the sugar in this one, I used half praline mixture and half brown sugar to add layered flavors:applause:

1. ingredients
picture.php

2. Mix cream, milk, oil & sugar in pan over medium heat until sugar dissolves stirring frequently (about 4min). Oil will separate when you stop stirring at this stage, its ok.
picture.php

3. In separate bowl, add 3 egg yolks(no whites) and mix together.
picture.php

4. Pour some of the warming mixture in with the yolks making sure to go slow and stir the whole time. When half the mixture is mixed into egg yolks, add back to pan.
picture.php

5. Heat mixture on medium heat stirring constantly until it coats the back of spoon, will be a bit thicker. When it coats the back of a spoon put directly into the refrigerator stirring a couple times for about 4 hours.
picture.php

6. When mixture is cooled and thickened its time to add flavor. I usually wait to add anything that will stop the ice cream machine from spinning but it does fine with pecans and adds a deeper flavor if mixed throughout process.
picture.php

7. Mix Custard in ice cream machine until, well ice cream.
picture.php

8. Double Dosed Petrified Pecan Praline Custard!!!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
bigsur51- super interested on the sunflower oil. My lady just brought home a homemade jar from someone and I was going to do a test batch with it. Does it retain its flavor through extract like most oils? Am going to be doing my copy cat burts bees lip balm here at some point, I use coconut do you use sunflower for this? Thanks

rosso- Thanks, was drooling over your pizza thread. Love Costco's stuff for the most part, Safeway cause its local. Since Albertson's bought them out its gotten better(more product lines and selection especially in produce) and worse(prices and no more half price bakery after 6:30, I could live off half priced doughnuts). Really love the Safeway Select Simmering Sauces, wife's in love with the Korean bbq one(they are right by the sauce packets like fajitas or gravy) :puffpuffpass:

Being a social holiday weekend thought I would throw up a great one that is quick and easy for a group of people snacking say drinking at a bbq:applause:

Cheesey Bacon Ranch Pull Apart Loaf!

I don't do much to modify this recipe. To medicate I just use 1 tablespoon olive oil per 2 people eating(I think of a whole loaf as like 4-6 people snacking so 2 tblsp max i would say) and take out the same amount of butter. You can also do a herbs and seasoning with olive oil smear on a plate as well for extra kick. I also add fresh garlic to the mix before heating(I try not to eat meat so I left the bacon out as well).

3 slices bacon

1 (1 pound) loaf round sourdough bread (or any bread loaf, here I use a french loaf)

8 (1 ounce) slices Cheddar cheese, or more as needed (I use a Mexican shredded premix cheese)

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix

1 clove garlic

1-2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until halfway cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels; cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wide strips.
Cut slits halfway through bread in two directions creating a checkerboard pattern. Slip Cheddar cheese slices and bacon pieces into the slits.
Mix butter and ranch dressing mix together in a small bowl; pour over bread, allowing to drip into the slits. Wrap entire loaf in a sheet of aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Unwrap bread and return to baking sheet; bake until cheese is melted and bacon is crisp, about 10 more minutes.

1. Ingredients
picture.php

2. Cut bread loaf diagonally 1 way, then the opposite to get checker pattern. Do not slice all the way through the loaf, I leave about 1/4-1/8 intact. You can put 2 wooden spoons on either side if you dont trust yourself:goodbad:
picture.php

3. Place about 1/2 the cheese into every crack in loaf, I use Mexican shredded premix cheese
picture.php

4. in coffee cup heat butter, olive oil, ranch packet & garlic in microwave for about 45seconds - 1min or so until fully melted together.(I've also used a fajitas seasoning packet instead of ranch and it worked great)
picture.php

5. Pour mixture over bread loaf evenly, add remaining cheese ontop
picture.php

6. Preheat oven to 350, bake loaf with foil ontop for 15 min, take foil off and bake additional 10 min. Party pleaser :applause:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Waking up from that holiday party, looking for something to calm the bodies grumbling...

German Pancakes!

This one is super simple, quick and looks all fancy like :eat: To the original recipe I just add 2 teaspoons vanilla and to medicate I use olive oil mixed into the liquids just under 2 teaspoons for half recipe and a tablespoon for full:sniff: To finish instead of syrup I use melted butter and powder sugar. Good thing about this recipe is really basic ingredients most typically have on hand. Enjoy!

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place butter in 9x13 baking dish and place in oven to melt butter,tilt to coat bottom of pan.
Place remaining ingredients in blender jar,blend until smooth.
Pour into buttered baking dish.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar,cut into squares,serve warm.
Serve with favorite syrup.

1. Ingredients(I did a half recipe)
picture.php

2. Butter a 9 x 13 dish(or smaller for half)
picture.php

3. Leaving flour for after you mix the liquids, mix everything until no lumps(you can mix and let sit for a couple minutes and it will mix all the way better.) This is where I add the olive oil(alternatively if you want a little coconut flavor you can add 4-5 ml per person to the finishing melted butter)
picture.php

4. Pour mixture into buttered dish
picture.php

5. Preheat oven to 400 and bake for 20-22 minutes till nice and fluffy.
picture.php

6. Finish with powdered sugar and melted butter! (or syrup)
picture.php

picture.php

Looks tasty..when visiting my grandmother in Germany she made something similar..

that picture is just begging for some costco maple syrup..:)

rosso reefo- my wife pours on the maple syrup too, although I always just completely coat in powder sugar then pour a ungodly amount of real melted butter on making a sugary paste. Has that great rich eggy background, so good and always been a family favorite.

Like sugary sweet taste buds oozing off the tongue craving the sweet source...
picture.php

Back at it with some more sweet nocturnal recipes. Sorry I let this thread go quiet for a bit, I will try to throw up some stuff I've been working on.

First up lets talk Peanut butter cookie's...

Tried many many many pb cookie recipes, these are my favorite to use with my coconut oil, little bit of a crisp outer shell filled with oowie gooey peanut butter goodness. I do very little to modifiy the original recipe other then add 1/3 cup coconut oil taking out the same in butter, sub chunky for creamy and add peanut m&m's. And away we go :puffpuffpass:

First the recipe that can be found here http://www.heatherlikesfood.com/best-peanut-butter-cookies/

The best peanut butter cookies
Ingredients

1/3 C butter, softened
1/3 C infused Coconut oil
½ C brown sugar
½ C granulated sugar
1 egg
1 C creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt
1½ C all purpose flour
1/4 to 1/2 bag peanut m&m's
sugar for sprinkling on top

Instructions

In an electric mixer, cream together butter, Coconut oil and and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Scrape sides of the bowl.
Add in egg, mix until smooth and scrape the bowl. Repeat with peanut butter and vanilla.
Whisk baking soda, powder,salt and flour in a separate bowl and slowly add to the wet ingredients. Mix until no dry spots remain. Add M&M's and stir in with spoon.
Scoop dough into 2-3 tbsp balls and place on a lined baking sheet. Using the tines of a fork, gently press a criss-cross pattern into the top of each ball to slightly flatten. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of granulated sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies are done when just lightly lightly browned on the bottom and just barely starting to get a little color around the edges.

Dough all mixed up
picture.php

Flat en dough out a bit and coat with sugar
picture.php

Let cool to finish cooking through, so gooey good
picture.php

Enjoy my friends
picture.php

Reactions: 180
great thread schwilly, I know where my next run of middle buds are going, at least some...that bread looks to die for, I'd add hand slivered garlic to the grooves...damn i'm hungry...cookies sound divine as well:eat:

Thanks Boo, I also throw a clove into the butter mix when I'm not in a hurry, perfect addition:up: now I'm hungry again.

airedog- agree with bigsur, very nice piece indeed. Back about a decade ago, i came across something called a duck press that looked just like that but was an ungodly $ amount at the time. Would love to try one someday, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: mre
Seat belts on, chairs in the upright position, its about to get real Italian comfort food up in here:cigar2:

I will split this recipe up a bit as there are many variations of sauce, be it red, alfredo, butter... Also many veggie/meat choices on finish although I usually stick with peppers, onions, garlic and shallots. I medicate this dish in the finishing sauce but it can be added into the dough at 1tb olive oil per 4 people, I think its stronger and better in the sauce at the same ratio.

First up Gnocchi! Easy to make, 3 ingredient base(potato, egg, flour) which I add a touch of garlic and parm cheese to.

Gnocchi

Recipe
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 clove garlic
pinch of parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel potatoes and add to pot. Cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash with a fork or potato masher. This is where I add my parm and garlic.
Combine 1 cup mashed potato, flour and egg in a large bowl. Knead until dough forms a ball. Shape small portions of the dough into long "snakes". On a floured surface, cut snakes into half-inch pieces.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop in gnocchi and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until gnocchi have risen to the top; drain and to sauce.

Ingredients
picture.php

mix flour with mash potato's lightly then add egg
picture.php

knead with hands until mixed into dough
picture.php

Roll dough into snakes, then cut into little bite size sections(my mom would slap me for not putting groves into the finished pieces with my fork to soak up sauce)
picture.php

picture.php

Boil in water until they float, about 3-5 min. Then add directly to pan with sauteing veggies/meat. I used 1 green pepper, 1 white onion and some garlic.
picture.php

picture.php

Add sauce and simmer for 3-4 min
picture.php

Enjoy!
picture.php

Great thread....

Gramma was a member here and used to make some fudge and share. She had it down right. I used to travel quite often back then and used to take a nice chunk of fudge.

Whomever figures out how to make ice cream will be in the money big time. Can you imagine banana cream, vanilla, rocky road, an so forth.

Back