Safest way to germ old seeds

Warm moist dirt ina tray in the dome. I’ve found if that isn’t working they won’t germ with any other tech. Just my experience. Have to get that shell to soften before it goes rotten. I can see were scuffin um a bit would help.

Also insure the tray drains

One more point, set up the tray and dome and let it get to temp before planting, including the soil.

Great tip

I also have 15 year old seeds or older... CBF, is there any way you can throw up a pic of the domes you make? your method sounds like it will work for me.. i do agree that temp is 100% a determining factor...

My beans were not stored in the best atmosphere. Stored in the dark with erratic temps at best... it was a dry, dark place 98% of the time, the shells are most likely harder than newer beans that's for sure...

you just make a humidity dome like you do for cuttings. If its super moist it will rot some seeds, so watch for those.

I start old seeds in water in a cup with some superthrive and h202 added. Too much H202 makes them open weirdly fast and use it all up at once, so just some is good. after two days put it in the dome in dirt.

Last edited:
Yeah Superthrive is very concentrated, a lil goes a long way. Use an eyedropper.

I keep my seeds in the fridge, figuring the freezer might be damaging to tissue. I just keep 'em in their original packaging or a small ziploc, in a sealed container. The main thing you are worried about imho is desiccation. If they dry out too much, they die. I could see how if you lived in a humid environment or were storing fresh seeds, you might want some moisture control, but in most cases I think you want to avoid desiccants. :2c:

Back