Preserving aromas: parallels between hops and cannabis

sticky is as sticky does
Interesting article on similarities/differences between hop and cannabis harvest/post-harvest handling and processing, and evolution of those processes.

One thing I had issue with was the idea that drying to 9-10% moisture and freezing is the idea storage method for cannabis (maybe so if all you care about is preserving extractable terpenes, but not if you plan to smoke it!). But for the most part the info was useful and common sense.

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.c...r-post-harvest-robert-clarke-mojave-richmond/

Those in dry climates probably know that it is entirely possible to rehydrate weed to a proper smoking condition (not preferable, but you do whatcha gotta do), but to that extent of dryness, i would think that the physical integrity of the herb would be so bad that it would turn to dust pretty easily. Still, much that can be done with extracting, or dry sift.

I feel a bit awkward commenting, when the 'site cannot be reached'.

And, without reading it, i also wanted to add that we have a university close by that has a program (B.A., i think) that the focus is on growing 'hops' related plants. They cannot actually use cannabis for this instruction. Anyway, i have not read up on the program, but had to think that i don't know if i like the idea of using actual hops plants, if they are doing that. Not with the virus being such a problem. Would a commercial grower really want to hire help that has been immersed in hops for four to five years? Maybe they have a way to know that 'research hops' is clear of the virus, but just sounds like a potential problem, if using live plants.

Last edited:
Back