Pest management advice and hack

WrinkledNugSack

This bit of advice and hack is intended for the new home-grower only… seed breeders for example could not follow these rules.

Personally, I think pest management is one of the most important considerations in my grow space, and step one and the most important part of pest management is prevention. Here are a few things that I do, (some of which some people will/might disagree with,) but this is what I do:

I never kill spiders or crickets in the basement. If you think of a battle zone there are different sectors between the hustling-bustling city centre where the citizens are and the actual front line where the armies battle it out. As we progress from the battle zone toward the thriving city centre, there are likely check stops, mined fields, aerial surveillance, etc. Same goes for my grow space. The outdoors is the battle zone, because I know there are pests outside that I don’t want inside. So my own cleanliness is key, but so are the hunters inside the house. I have a semi completed basement and I often find spiders and crickets lurking about… I NEVER kill or interrupt their movement, they are a protective zone hunting the perimeter of my grow space (outside my tent), so I don’t harm them. Spiders (with a web) especially wouldn’t be where they are if they didn’t have a food source they were after or were taking advantage of.

I stopped going into large garden centres because IMHO, if you are going to drag something unwanted home to your grow it will likely come from these places. And before I open my tent, I assess where and when I have been somewhere that I may have collected an unwanted guest along the way.

Think hard about using companion plants. Has the companion plant drawn a pest away from the cannabis plant, or were the pests drawn into the grow space BECAUSE you had the companion plant. ie: I’d say almost all experienced gardeners know that pepper plants are a magnet for aphids. If you happen to see aphids on your cannabis plants, IMHO now is the time to introduce a companion plant (in this case a pepper plant) to attract them away from the cannabis. After a period of time, I would consider removing the pepper plants and replacing it with another (the younger and more succulent plant the better)… I would do this until this particular grow cycle was over… I would NOT introduce the pepper plant from the very start, you might just be encouraging the aphids to come into your grow space where they otherwise would have avoided for some other reason. (And just because you put a pepper plant into your grow and many aphids migrated to it, this doesn’t mean there still aren’t aphids on your cannabis or hiding in the grow space or media.)

I never allow anyone in my grow space, but I also prefer that no one ever comes in my house. Inversely, I never go into someone else’s grow space. I’ll chat all day about growing, growing hacks, etc. etc… but in this world, if someone really had a problem that they need help with a picture off of a smart phone won’t transfer a potential problem to your grow.

I never accept clones or seeds (or other plant material) anymore*; however, to get started you’ll have to… I recommend seeds personally. (* Now that I have “what works for me” in the grow room there is only one instance that I would introduce something new into my grow space (but I won’t get into that here); my point here is that the looser you are with accepting clones (with or without the foreign media) into your grow space, the more likely it is that you are going to have problems down the road.) I think it’s fair to say, at this point in time, the jury is still out on how many viruses etc. can be transferred into a grow space through seed. Do you really “need” that cultivar?

Before I moved to soil growing, I had problems with thrips via the commercial "grow mediums". The last and most effective way (and safest way ) that I "controlled them" was by taking the clay balls used in hydro systems and putting them in a pail with a lid. I then dumped in a copious amount of diatomaceous earth, I then rolled the pail around dusting the clay balls with the powder. (Wear a mask when doing this... the D/E is a mild throat irritant) I also placed a copious amount of diatomaceous earth around the stem of the plant… some pests will want to climb from the soil surface up the stem of the plant. I placed a layer of these balls on the top of my pots right after watering the plants. This makes the bugs crawl over the diatomaceous earth any time they move above the soil surface. It worked quite well, with the exception that I would have to vacuum them off of the soil surface, screen them to remove the excess dirt, and then re-dust them before re-use. I also cut sticky traps to the appropriate size and laid them on the top of the dusted balls as well. (A few balls stick to the sticky traps, but not many.) A cheap wet/dry shop vacuum is a handy tool in the grow, and an item that I’d purchase before many other “trinkets”. Typically, the dusted balls would last through more than one watering. This approach was effective at knocking the hell out of their numbers. If you are near harvest and you are struggling to make it through to the end, you might wish to try this method... it's fairly cheap, and certainly a safer choice than some others.

Once the harvest is over, I would reconsider what medium I would be using for the next go round, and at the very least I’d try to find a suitable method to sterilize the media if you intended on re-using it.

I haven't heard any reference to kaolin until you brought it up, but a quick google search shows that its widespread and relatively safe for humans.

The only thing that I would want to weigh comes from this line... "Certain kaolin-based sprays can form a highly reflective white film over plant surfaces that is known to enhance plant photosynthesis and reduce heat stress in plants, which they do by reflecting the infra-red light spectrum".

Two things; First off, I copied that from Wikipedia, so how accurate is that but of info?... and if it is a true statement, it might or could have an effect on the plants processing of certain "shall we call them (all encompassing) chemicals"... not that I am suggesting anything negative or positive, but everything has a down-stream effect to some degree.

I happen to be lucky in that I don't have to deal with pests in my grow, but I am indoor and control everything quite tightly... if I was outdoors, that would be an entirely different challenge... this kaolin is interesting.

Reactions: 180
The first question that pops to mind is, does or can it be rinsed off?

I'll have to try and find some white papers on it...

Even though this is product specific, it is likely "generally" the same for any others that might be out there.

They do say that it will wash off with rain(s)... Indoors you wouldn't have to worry about that... And it has to be properly processed so that it doesn't clump.

I think nannymouse may have found the Golden Key to the Temple... can you see the bright glare and hear the background orchestra as the heavy granite door is swinging open?...

Haha, i doubt that i've been 'the one'...it's just something that i ran across. Yes, it does need to be re-applied after a heavy rain. I've been reading about orchards and berries, lately, and someone mentioned that the apple growers were using it, i think. So, i looked for it a little while. One thing that i learned from a potter, was that you can get the kaolin for less than the 'name brand ag stuff', from potters' suppliers. Same stuff, but maybe doesn't have an anti-caking ingredient? The pottery place that was recommended ships flat rate, so probably not as speedy as the name brand stuff. That's for if you want a lot. Otherwise, a small amount could be ordered in the 'cosmetics' size packs. (It's used for clay masks, i prefer the rasoul/rasol clay for masks)

Interesting about the kaolin. It occurs naturally in many places, and it's a home remedy down South for digestive issues like diarrhea (that's right, people eat the stuff) because it absorbs toxins in the gut. Kao-pectate.

Haha, i doubt that i've been 'the one'...it's just something that i ran across. Yes, it does need to be re-applied after a heavy rain. I've been reading about orchards and berries, lately, and someone mentioned that the apple growers were using it, i think. So, i looked for it a little while. One thing that i learned from a potter, was that you can get the kaolin for less than the 'name brand ag stuff', from potters' suppliers. Same stuff, but maybe doesn't have an anti-caking ingredient? The pottery place that was recommended ships flat rate, so probably not as speedy as the name brand stuff. That's for if you want a lot. Otherwise, a small amount could be ordered in the 'cosmetics' size packs. (It's used for clay masks, i prefer the rasoul/rasol clay for masks)
From the quick look I had, it doesn't seem wildly expensive... if you could divide a larger purchase between interested friends, it might be the cheaper option yet...

@nannymouse:

Periodically I get on a rose kick and the last round I just put them in pots. In particular, I had one of the Vineland's 49th Parallel "Canadian Shield" and a "Chinook Sunrise" roses. However, if you have ever had roses you know that PM is a constant threat. I never did have problems with these ones in the pots, but I had many different plants outdoors at the time, and didn't want to invite PM, so I gave the plants away. They are a beautiful rose, particularly late in the year, as the foliage turns many shades and hues in various colours.

Even though PM is easy to deal with on roses, I wonder how effective a treatment of Kaolin would be (before flowering)... it might actually be the more desirable test subject because you are certain to get PM on them if you have a wetter year. (Or you can encourage it by sparying the foliage when watering... I shutter every time I see someone in a market garden doing that in front of customers.)

Never had a problem with roses and pm, the beetles were a problem. I don't think that i ever had troubles in AZ, the beetles were an NC thing. Weather is tough on tea roses in the north, but some old floribundas did okay...and those damn wild roses that can be three inches tall and make hips and cannot be pulled out...must have twenty foot roots, and they just THRIVE.

OIC, I thought you were further north than AZ... one of the few plants that we could/would (grudgingly share) in common are likely varieties of wild roses... they are like burying a wad of tangled barbed wire. Being mostly flat land around here it's zone 3, I know AZ has many zones.

Back