Open Source Nutrient Calculator

i been using hydrobuddy for about 7 years it rocks. I mix 5 gallons of A and 5 gallons of B concentrate. Final cost for 10 gallons of nutrient concentrate,$8 bux! compare that to any bottled nute company out there and it doesnt take long to see the benefits of mixing your own nutes from raw salts. I admit it does require a good digital scale, and approx an hour of your time. I have 2 scales one for macro nutrients and a jewelers scale for the micro nutrients.

So givin the high cost of entry and the extreme labor required to weigh, pour, and stir the raw salts,(tongue in cheek) I can see why so many peeps continue to purchase expensive water from nute companies:D

2b2s

Last edited:
It was back in early 2000 that I got turned onto it, still have the books and the spreadsheet calculator I was working on building for myself back than.

I did not get this hydro buddy to work for me, maybe I will give it another try, maybe I had something blocking it, or the improper software to run it.

Yes you are so correct, back than I spent 80.00 to get all I needed, once I calculated what and how far what I had would go........ 5 years of nutrients of my choice for 80.00

I have been thinking about getting back to this method, mainly because I am broke as hell for years to come.

I'm just now trying to figure out how to use the program.

I'm not using individual chemicals/salts. I'm using a generic 5-11-26 hydroponic base, a 12-48-8 plant starter mix, calcium nitrate, and Epsom salt.

The multipliers I've been using are:
Base x 1.33 grams per liter
Plant starter x 0.47 " "
Epsom Salt x 0.78 " "
Calcium Nitrate x 0.78 " "

So, if my final reservoir volume is 200 liters I multiply each of the numbers by 200. I used the Lucas formula as the target N-P-K , but I can't remember what that is now.

I'd like to use the Hydro Buddy program to figure out what I've been mixing, and then perhaps tweak the mix some. I've been using the same formula from start to finish, but figure it might be better if I changed it to more of a bloom mix after a few weeks. Maybe it is a bloom formula already. Maybe my crop consumes the N while vegging, then uses the more as the buds develop...I don't know. My yields "seem" good & the plants always look good. But, I've always wondered if I could do better.

Can Hydro Buddy work with my ingredients? It looks like it can, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. I've input my custom mix info, but don't know what to do next??

Here's the Base info:
http://southernag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/SOL-5-11-26-HYDRO.pdf

Here's the Plant starter:
http://southernag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/SOL-5-11-26-HYDRO.pdf

I use the Yara brand of calcium nitrate, which has a seperate listing on Hydro Buddy.

hydrobuddy is a bit "clunky" at first. As you explore the capabilities of the program it becomes quite clear that this program rocks! You can add any salt of your choice but you need to enter the %'s into the hydrobuddy db. If you get to sites that have a lot of raw salt guys on, you will see formulations listed in ppm's. It is easy to work with this as all you have to do is plug the ppm number in the salt you wish to add and hydrobuddy works out how much weight of that salt you need.

One word of caution when mixing raw salts only fill the mix container about half of the final volume, mix in all or your salts, and then and only then top up the container to the desired volume:D

2b2s

Maybe I missed something, I thought it was fill the res. with the amount that is left over after mixing up salts individually... I learned to " say take a 10 gallon capacity, say I mix 5 salts, so I have 5 gallons of water in res, have mixed each salt in a 1 gallon jug of water, and than you add each gallon as you stir to the res, and there was a sequence to what was added first and last. In the end you have 10 gallons of mixed up solution in the res ready to feed to the plants.

It was a pain at first, but if one keeps things going the same he can pre mix his concentrated salt a head of schedule, so when it is time, drain and clean system, fill and mix up the new batch of nutrients. It takes less time as you go as you get better at it.

I think I just talked myself back into it, now to get my salts and find those old notes.

I mix my base into a 5 gallon bucket of hot water & stir, then add the plant starter mix next & stir, then add the Epsom salt & stir well. I dissolve the Calcium Nitrate separately in about a gallon of hot water, then stir it into the 5 gallon bucket that's already been dissolved.

If you do it in the wrong order the Calcium Nitrate will solidify.

I want to add some sodium silicate (water glass) to the mix. Not sure how much to add. My total res volume is about 300 liters. I want to promote thicker stems, is it good for that?

Anybody know what percent is good to add?

I mix my base into a 5 gallon bucket of hot water & stir, then add the plant starter mix next & stir, then add the Epsom salt & stir well. I dissolve the Calcium Nitrate separately in about a gallon of hot water, then stir it into the 5 gallon bucket that's already been dissolved.

If you do it in the wrong order the Calcium Nitrate will solidify.

I want to add some sodium silicate (water glass) to the mix. Not sure how much to add. My total res volume is about 300 liters. I want to promote thicker stems, is it good for that?

Anybody know what percent is good to add?

I did a little research into the difference of using sodium silicate vs potassium silicate, didn't find a whole bunch atm but I thought this was interesting

http://ijagcs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/658-661.pdf

I'm not sure which is better to use or really what the difference is but I spray potassium silicate via Botanicare silica blast. I use it at 1/4 tsp per gallon or like 1.25 ml per about 4 liters of water. It is super beneficial from what I've gathered. Helps growth, protects from mildew, etc... Hope this is helpful, sorry I don't have more info for you.

Back