New to dispensary edibles - dosage question

Shovelhandle

Mrs Shov got her mmj card. Although I supply her with all the edibles she can stand we both have a curiosity about how much thc is a good dosage. Generally I can enjoy four times the amount that she can. But we don't know what that amount is in mg. Bread usually gets from 10 - 20g of bud and makes 8 slices.
So we will be trying some edibles from the dispensary to get some idea of our tolerances and perhaps the strength of our home prepared goods. I see edibles packaged in 20mg up to 180 mg per piece. We'll find out, but would like input from other edibles users. thanks :chef:

My local dispensary recommends that newbies start with 5mg THC dose.

They sell edibles in Sativa, Hybrid and Indica formulations.

I have a reasonably high tolerance for smoked/vaped weed, but do not consume edibles all that often (maybe once or twice a month). I find that a 10mg dose of the Sativa chocolate gives me a really good, non-stoned, euphoric feeling. If I do more (15 mg) I feel more euphoric, but also start to feel stoned and spacy.

The idea of starting out at a 50mg dose of dispensary edible is INSANE. You may not enjoy it, lol.

i've seen 5mg and 10mg but those are for a 100% newbie. the edibles i make have around 50mg-100mg depending on how strong i want each piece but it still takes about 200mg for me to notice it. 35mg is what i'd suggest for a light/casual smoker.

Average dose 15-30 mg stronger 40-80 mg

Everyone's tolerance is different so if it's first timers stay on the low side until you feel comfortable with it.

How are you guys measuring doses? I go by what's printed on the bar. I can buy a bar of chocolate that contains 100mg of cannabinoids by analysis, so I know exactly how much THC I'm getting.

I'm thinking some of you may be using different methods to arrive at your dose weights. If I ate 2 bars of this chocolate (200mg cannabinoids) I'd be stretched out on the couch for at least 24 hours (if I didn't go to the emergency room and ask for a Xanax).

My point is, dose tolerance doesn't explain why my recommended starting dose is lower than the others. ???

the cookies i make tend to hover around 30-40 mg each and i can only eat a half without losing my mind.

generally i take about 4-5 grams of shatter and melt it into 2 pounds of butter. roughly speaking.

all very helpful. we all have our different tolerances. I know many people who won't touch an edible. I've always loved them and have had the most memorable times with them. Cooked a few grams of hash (I forget really how much) into brownies and four of us went to the Red Sox game. The brownies started kicking in as we were in the underground streetcar, we wanted to get OUT and walk but we hung in another 5 minutes to get to our stop. Had a few beers and finished the brownies. At the end of the game we couldn't leave, we were the last ones out, laughing like fools. :slap:

Back