Need a new quality water pump. help!

BreezeEazy

Have a danner mag drive pump fail on me after 2 weeks of use. Any good pumps out there designed to run on a cycle timer without failing from all the start ups?

Have a danner mag drive pump fail on me after 2 weeks of use. Any good pumps out there designed to run on a cycle timer without failing from all the start ups?

did you take it apart to see how it failed? mag drive pumps are dead simple in design. Are you sure its just not clogged or jammed with something?

Superior Pump #91250, got mine from amazon for $50. Runs on a timer, comes on 5x a day and by the way I'm mixing solution, I wish it would take a night off. LOL!!

I've had the same Active Aqua 400 submersible pumps since I switched to hydro in 2009. I've only had one go out, and it was my fault. The pump ran dry. Recently I figured, maybe they're not pumping as hard as they used to. So I bought a couple of new pumps that are supposed to be exactly the same. One of my new pumps is really loud. It seems to work alright, but it's way too loud. My 12 y/o pumps still work, and they're dead silent. At the same time I started hydro in 2009, I purchased 2 C.A.P fixed cycle timers, (1/4 minutes on/off) and 2 C.A.P. adjustable cycle timers. The fixed cycle timers worked without a pause until I quit growing for almost 3 years. During those 3 years of down time I inadvertently left them plugged in. When I started growing again in 2019 they worked for a short time, but I started noticing one wasn't keeping time correctly. They both decided to puke. So I began using the CAP adjustable cycle timers. One stopped working, and my flower room CAP adjustable cycle timer is still running fine. It should I just opened it in 2019. So those Active Aqua pumps run for ever, but I'm not too sure about the newer AA pumps. CAP timers are no longer available. Fixed cycle timers of any kind are no longer available.

If you need a good timer, the Nearpow available from amazon also, IS GREAT! It's the one with the black face and white buttons with the receptacles on the sides. It's two timers in one, the receptacles are independent of each other. You can have 9 cycles each and can be programmed down to the second. The only problem I had with one was the receptacle wouldnt let me unplug a pump once. But that turned out to be a good thing, because I took the timer apart, cut the faulty receptacle out and wired a two receptacle outlet in its place, like you use in the house.

did you take it apart to see how it failed? mag drive pumps are dead simple in design. Are you sure its just not clogged or jammed with something?

Ah, yes, I shall take it apart and see whats up. It had the filter thing on it and my water is shockingly clean but yes, for all I know a piece of plastic got in there and jammed it up or something. If so, maybe I'll get a better prefilter for the pump. I figured just bad odds but I wanted to see what pumps people recommended in case I burn another one up.

As for the timer discussion, I've got some rockwell automation relays that should be in tomorrow. They're $250 a pop just for the relay. Not sure if it gets wired up to the load or if it just signals a switch but none the less, you're still talking a high quality cycle timer.

Thanks everyone!

Back