My last hack of the series; security.

WrinkledNugSack

All of the door bell cameras and eye witness accounts will tell you "how"and "when" someone came and kicked your door in, but they don't tell you the "why" they came at all.

No offence to the forums, but if I wanted to know, how a grow was progressing, where that grow is, when it is being harvested and more importantly when it's been placed in jars, all I would have to do is monitor the boards and look for the most current pictures and glean as much information from that person as I possibly can.

I think it is in most people's nature to share what they have, especially if things are going well. But if you want to hang onto what you have and not have a home invasion, perhaps the best route is to keep your grow to yourself to begin with.

This is especially true with unique or rare genetics... always under-rate your cultivars and over-rate others... and if you have something really worthwhile, share your cannabis with others once its ground up and rolled in a joint, or packed in a bowl... AND, if you want to be extra careful, always say that you got it from someone else.

...that is good advice for cell phones. Do people even know if their photos contain gps info? Also, incoming photos and texts can be a problem, as much as outgoing.

I didn't have a clue about VPN's, until a few days ago. Seems like a smart idea.

I'm not certain if there is technology able to do this or not, but how many times have you seen pictures of peoples hands (perhaps holding a bud)... I'm sure at some point law enforcement will figure out a way to lift a finger print off of a photo... and if you are in a part of the world where growing isn't legal, a simple vanity pic that you took and posted just "fingered yourself".... sorry about the Dad joke/pun... I couldn't resist.

The is all kinds of imbedded information in a digital picture... not to mention the clues in the pictures themselves.

Yup, if you are serious about security, the posting of photos shows a lack of risk aversion, lol. Every digital photo has EXIF data that tells where/when/what device/exposure/aperture/lens... everything you might want to know about the photo. But you can strip out/edit the EXIF data from photos pretty easily with editing software. For example the Irfanview free photo editing software (which is excellent, I've used it for twenty years I think) lets you view and edit EXIF data. www.irfanview.com

Back