Michigan police seize 4,000 marijuana plants, processed weed worth $6.3M

Butcher Bob

Lone Wolf

Michigan police seize 4,000 marijuana plants, processed weed worth $6.3M​

Published: Feb. 24, 2024
By Rose White

HIGHLAND PARK, MI - Michigan State Police say they busted a “large-scale illicit market” marijuana grow operation in metro Detroit this week.

After a monthslong investigation, the Michigan State Police Marijuana & Tobacco Investigation Section conducted a search warrant Wednesday, Feb. 21 at the Highland Park facility.

Police seized 4,000 marijuana plants, about 231 pounds of processed marijuana and 362 pounds of drying flowered stalks, a news release said. The haul is estimated to be worth $6.3 million based on the current rate of $93 per ounce being sold at licensed facilities.

During the investigation which started last fall, officials confirmed there was no medical or adult-use licenses at the facility or those involved in the operation.

The MSP Marijuana & Tobacco Investigation Section oversees marijuana criminal law and tax violations.

Growing illegal marijuana in Michigan is only a misdemeanor crime, the state Court of Appeals ruled last October, but unlicensed growers could face punishment for other crimes like tax evasion and the seizure of valuable marijuana.

You may get there yet Nanny. We have an over abundance of strictly commercial producers cutting each other's throats. Last time I bought from a dispensary, I got an oz of GG#4 for $85 out the door. While there, I noticed a shit ton of $59 ounces...but they also had some varieties that hit the same $350 mark you see. Quite the range in pricing, but the low cost definitely dominates the market. Quality-wise I get a much better version of the GG#4 from a caretaker I know for $100. And looks like I won't be using the dispensary I'd been going to any more...as they were just fined $212,000 for having a large amount of product in their attic that was not recorded in the state's required reporting system. Makes them too sketchy for me to trust.

Back