Making tea, advice requested

Tom Sawyer

So my local shop suggested a bag of Roots Organics Terp Tea grow as a dry nutrient to add in my soil. After reading the bag I believe this stuff would be better as a tea so I went to a friends house who finishes sheetrock and got a 3.5 gallon bucket and a lid, stopped by a box pet store for a simple air pump, 2 air stones and some hosing, drilled a hole in the lid and hooked everything up. Does the tea need to breathe or should it be sealed tight. My first batch I brewed was 3 gallons, following label directions of 1 tbsp per gallon and brewed for 24 hours. After it brewed I gave all my vegging plants 750mil and the remaining went to my mom plants. Should I brew more and feed them more? Just trying to get feel for what is enough versus too much. Your thoughts please.

I never thought about it but I always leave the lid off when brewing tea. Not to say thats right, just how Ive always done it. I'm interested to see what others have to say.

As for the feed strength I stick with CAP's old recipe which calls for 10% tea. Hope this helps a little.

OGBIOWAR recommends applying the ROOT and FOLIAR packs via BIO BREW for optimum results!
Here is how:
1) Fill a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of NON CHLORINATED water.
2) Add 100 ml of regular unsulphured black strap molasses.
3) Adjust pH between 6.5-7.0
4) For soil or hydro add 4 tablespoons each of the ROOT and FOLIAR PACK.
5) Fill a cheap stocking with 1-2 cups of high quality earth worm castings. Tie this off and let it float in the solution like a tea bag.
6) Bubble with a 6” air stone disc and air pump rated at 60 lpm or more, for 2-48 hours.
OGBIOWAR likes a 24 hour BIO BREW.
7) Turn off air pump, let the tea settle for approximately 10 minutes, and take/pour brew off the top to avoid sediment.
8) Rinse out sediment in bucket for future batches. Clean tubing, air stone, and bucket thoroughly in between brews.
Add any nutrients or additives and pH BEFORE adding the brew to your normal regimen. The day after a reservoir change (once every 7-10 days) is a good time to add tea.
DOSAGE:
Add 50mL of tea to every gallon of stock solution for any recirculating system. Change
solution weekly! Dilute one gallon of tea to 9 gallons of stock solution for non-recirculating systems.
Soak new cuttings in full concentrate tea for 10 minutes prior to placing the cutting. If using a cloning machine, add to the reservoir at the rate of 50mL per gallon.
Foliar feed with this tea once every 7-10 days at full concentrate. Let the tea settle well, or strain to avoid clogging the sprayer.
If you are battling an existing pest or pathogen problem, use at full strength, without diluting. Pour tea directly in to crown and foliar as well.
Can be used up to harvest/flush at users discretion.

There are many ways to make teas,the watching of the ph I agree,everthing else ... Im not say anything .... Because I'll be critized for my method , good luck you will find a way to make your tea ,and I would love to hear what you come up with that works the best for you , happy growing!

With tea's, dont look at it as feeding the plants, but more so what you are giving the soil. When you make a tea, you multiply the microbial population of the ingredients making millions of bacteria and fungi. These are what feed the plant by consuming organic material and pooping ions. Search youtube video's from Dr Elaine Ingham and maybe read Teaming With Microbes if wanting to get in depth explanations of what tea's do. Also, I think you should read the difference between aerobic and anaerobic, that will help you answer your question about covering the bucket.

If you have airstones in the bucket bubbling the tea as it brews, I don't think it matters much whether you put a lid on it loosely, but don't seal the bucket airtight, that will prevent the bubblers from bubbling.

If you have airstones in the bucket bubbling the tea as it brews, I don't think it matters much whether you put a lid on it loosely, but don't seal the bucket airtight, that will prevent the bubblers from bubbling.

This is a good point! a lid would be good to keep the foam in check, but doesnt do anything for the health of the tea. Main things you want are a lot of air and some heat. Not direct sunlight (and keep it out of direct sunlight by the way) but the warmer it is, the quicker the microbes multiply.

Back