Luffy’s Off Season Seed Run (Winter/Spring 2024)

I’m going to attempt to breed some seeds (outside during the off-season). The goal of this project is to start creating some of the starting points for complex hybrids that I’ll be making in the future. Hopefully, breeding in the springtime will make these hybrids somewhat “cold-hardy”.

The pollen donor for this round is a reversed archive cut of Yuck Mouth (GMO x Dosidos) and the females are Blueberry, Purple Punch, Lemon Cherry Gelato, Obama Kush, Chernobyl: golden ticket/slymer, Oregon Diesel & Dutch Treat.

During the Summer, I’ll use this little cold frame as a light depo and start hunting the seeds (solo cup style) for the selections that I’ll use to make the next step in creating my strains.

When all is said and done, the strains will look something like the Hybrids that I’m doing next.
IMG_2743.jpeg

Or these Yuck Mouth hybrids that I’m working on rn.
IMG_3083.jpeg

All of these plants have been vegging in another cold frame with supplemental lighting and heat mats. New leaves are a little lighter colored than normal. But that's because these plants have been outside in the cold since January (surviving a week-long ice storm and cold nights dipping into the 30s). It’s also because I started hardening them off to the cold (leaving them out for a few hours on really cold days). And I’m not gonna lie, I also fried them with the light a few weeks ago trying to warm them up.

They were left outside, last night, in the new (light-less) cold frame. So flowering has officially begun. Harvest will be just before mid-May.

Day 1 of flower (2/26/2024)
IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg

IMG_2297.jpeg

IMG_2300.jpeg

IMG_2301.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @Teresa & @digger

3/1/2024 (Day 4 of flower)

It was snowing this morning. The forecast says it’ll be wet and cold all week (high 40’s / low 30’s). But I’m keeping it at 70 degrees since I started getting signs of nute lockout due to having constant cold temps. I’ll update again when things start getting interesting (week 3).
IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

IMG_2406.jpeg

I had some nutrient lockout which caused stunting for a few days in the beginning so I’m counting 3/1/24 as Day 1 of flower instead of 2/26/24.

Things are back on track now. Today was day 9.

They were thinned out on day 7 and I took a few more clones off the top of some of them.
IMG_2727.jpeg
IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg
IMG_2714.jpeg
IMG_2713.jpeg
IMG_2712.jpeg
IMG_2711.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg

The Yuck Mouth (reversed) is showing male pre flowers climbing up the branches, now. I gave it another spray of CS solution today. Going forward, I think I’ll be using Robert C Clarke’s STS recipe for future reversals (as I feel like the CS almost missed the window for pollen to drop on time).

The Yuck Mouth (GMO x Dosidos) that I’m using is Archive Seed’s (Fletcher’s) cut.
IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

Just in case you guys are wondering why my hybrids are SO complex? It’s because this is my goal:

1) make my crosses
2) grow my crosses from seed / make s1s or f2s of the best phenos
3) keep growing my crosses from seed (every time I wanna run a strain)
4) keep making “heirloom seed selections” for the next generation of seed
5) keep growing my crosses from seed until they become “IBL Heirloom Seed Selections” (beyond f6)
6) make true f1 hybrids (the same way that corn is bred) single cross f1 (IBL x IBL), double cross f1 hybrids (IBL x IBL) x (IBL x IBL), triple cross f1 hybrids (IBL x IBL) x IBL), etc
7) have an entire seed catalog of my own “Heirloom Seed Selections” (IBLs beyond f6) that I selected myself out of people’s “crosses” or my crosses
8) have true f1 hybrids in my seed catalog [example] (IBL x IBL)
9) have all kinds of other IBLs in my seed catalog (s6 heirloom selections, bx6, f6 heirloom selections, open pollination/reproduction, etc)
10) give out FREE seeds (of my crosses) to people who need them (ESPECIALLY Veterans & medical patients) as I work towards making some TRUE f1 hybrids & IBLs.

I’m pretty much breeding the same way that Neville used to breed (using the same breeding programs that they use in modern-day corn). That’s why Neville used to list the pedigree percentage (same as I do). He was recombining strains in certain ways (like how I’m doing it) and he was coming out with unique double cross and triple cross f1 hybrids (using the same 3 parents for a lot of his lines: NL, Skunk & Haze)
IMG_3084.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg

I’ll make strain crosses (clone x clone) for people who wanna grow cross hybrids. Because there is a demand for that. But I’m more into actually breeding for long term strain preservation (so I can pass my seed selections down to family when I get too old to grow) and creating new gene pools (through proper hybridization).

This is gonna be a long term project (probably at least 2-3 years before I start having my own “heirloom seed selections” started from scratch.

This video below talks about the advantages and disadvantages of each type of true f1 hybrid and open pollination VS heirloom selection

Hybrid, f1, double cross, open pollinated corn what does it all mean?

The hybrids that I’m working on right now (using the yuck mouth)
IMG_3083.jpeg

1985 Oregon Blueberry aka “Old Blue” or “Old Oregon Blueberry”
IMG_6395.jpeg
IMG_6392.jpeg

Unfortunately the male never dumped pollen. So this run of small plants is just gonna be for smoke. I culled Oregon Diesel & Chernobyl out from this run since they were just really small plants (strictly meant to make seed).

Gonna try another reversal with Lemon Cherry Gelato as the donor and Dutch Treat & Chernobyl as the recipients.

Yuck Mouth reversed female (before the chop)
IMG_5210.jpeg
IMG_5206.jpeg
13015D36-E483-4A09-A654-82347E3627D3.jpeg
IMG_5584.jpeg

Back