Idea for setup, want opinions.

Sleevecc

Previous posts for reference
https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39170&highlight=Sleevecc
https://www.thecannacabana.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39192&highlight=Sleevecc

I actually started this grow, first germ of seeds on Feb 12 of this year, first grow in 20+ years in a converted attic with extreme changes in temp and conditions, The got off to a horrible start on might say,,I am now coming down to a few weeks away from harvest. LOL its been awhile but I am overall happy with everything I have learned and accomplished first time around. I have multiple species of photos ,, blueberry, critical, Jack Herrer, OG skunk, white widow,, there were a few autos as well that when they were done (were very good but impatience didnt allow for much curing *giggle*) is when I flipped the lights,, no room for two rooms.

All the while I have been thinking and contemplating when this one is done how to setup the next more effrciently and better.. I have went from in my head nft systems, to flood and drain to floating systems,, each and all have there draw backs.. being limited on room.. and everything else makes for a lot of variables and potential problems in all aspects.. I have been growing these girls in strictly coco, no use of perlite in them or anything else in 1 gallon plastic pots, the results have been well honestly with the drastic environment changes these babies have went through very impressive, I doubt I would have lived through it if were put in those condidtions for such period of times. Lmao.

Anyway.. here are my thoughts and what i have learned after having to carry gallons and gallons of water up a step ladder clear across a low attic into a room every 2 days for months on end.. uhgg..

Regardless of anything!!!
1 run a damn water line up there.
2. install a drain.

Ideas for next setup. here is a pic. and I ask your honest opinions. I look at this Coco run I did as a type of hydro system prolly the most generic hydro system there is but none the less hydro, and its very forgiving. Where as some are not with the variables of life included in all aspects.

A. A simple 2x4 frame build directly to floor with a slight slope to drain. Floor can either be applied with Rubber, linoleum, can even tile it and the sides if wanted. I am thinking rubber from the landscape department for fish pond liners. but whatever can be used as along as the drain is sealed in.

B. 1/2" PVC grid built and hangs from ceiling in multiple areas, (remember Im in an attic "A" Frame, highest point in center is like like 5'8" Roof is about a 10/12 pitch) Hanging the PVC grid I think maybe best so can be raised and lowered as needed with simplisty if I rig it right with some simple pulleys.

C. Flexible line running to resevoir which will allow the res or the PVC grid to be hooked together and each can be raised or lowered.

D. 25 or more gal res with built in aerator.

E. chain fall or other type of pulley system to be able to lower and raise the res. ultimately I feel its simpler to have it gravity feed than to pump to plants. I am ultimatley trying to get this system down to one mechanism that can fail within a 3 day period and not everything go to complete shit on me.

F water line installed in room which is given.

Goal?? I suppose is to limit myself having to carry my fat old ass up there as least times as possible other than pruning and refilling the res. I dont want a drip system, Id just as well it be as it has been hand watered but in this case, Im down stairs.. flic a switch, it opens a valve on the bottom of the res and floods the plants the over spill/fill goes down the drain. I can also hook this valve to a timer set for every 2-3 days .. I have noticed in this grow in Veg it was 3 days,, now in flower its 2 days so easily compensated and I wont have to go up there unless the res empties,, I have cams up there that can be viewed from below, so I can see when they get enough run off and done.

Ideas? thoughts? anything? To me this is about the most safest problem eliminating thing I can come up with. I understand the lines clogging it can be flushed with clean water every time the res is refilled. and each line to the plants can be bigger than usual cause its not a drip system,, I can have 1/2 PVC to each if needed that wont possibably get clogged.

Think of anything I am missing or not seeing? Again to me this is bascially making a hand watered hydro setup but not having to hand water it. A 25 gallon res would carry me almost 2 weeks. depending on amount of plants of course and every thing can be worked or changed semi easily.

Also for next time around I think I am going to try all Auto's for the most part to try an keep a perpetual grow going of sorts. help keep the canopy lower as well.

What is that Valve called? that can be opened and closed remotely or on a timer? I cant remember the name right off. I am finding these but I seem to remember something else out there that serves the same purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/12V-Solenoid-Valve-3-4/dp/B007R9U9BM

Ideas ,, thoughts are most appreciated.

Attachments

• new_design.jpg
    new_design.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
  • babies.jpg
    babies.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yeah. Why the heck does water need to be so damn heavy!?

Cannot help you much...but mouse would probably be thinking more of 'no drain', just let plants suck up from a bottom pan. Dunno which method would be better, but the more pieces and parts that could leak/clog is more of a concern in an attic than in an unfinished basement?

For moving the water up or to any location... think boat parts. They make a product called a : Bilge Pump. Some models can be submerged under water.. measured by GPH or gallons per hour. a small one would suit ya fine and do the job pretty quickly.

Autos is a great idea for ya... I ran a strain called Kush Van Stitch.. OG based auto that amazingly got to about 3ft, but very uniform strain for sure, so much so I used it in a cross of mine... :jawdrop:

Also, with Autos you can run your lights on any light cycle.. even 12/12 because I've done it. this would give you plants you could harvest in 75 days, some less...

good luck:puffpuffpass:

Yeah. Why the heck does water need to be so damn heavy!?

Cannot help you much...but mouse would probably be thinking more of 'no drain', just let plants suck up from a bottom pan. Dunno which method would be better, but the more pieces and parts that could leak/clog is more of a concern in an attic than in an unfinished basement?

Since this would be more of an auto handwatering method. cant imagine why drain would get clogged and even if it did there should never be enough water to over flow anywhere. the drain would be in the floor as well as the plants sitting on the floor.

For moving the water up or to any location... think boat parts. They make a product called a : Bilge Pump. Some models can be submerged under water.. measured by GPH or gallons per hour. a small one would suit ya fine and do the job pretty quickly.

Autos is a great idea for ya... I ran a strain called Kush Van Stitch.. OG based auto that amazingly got to about 3ft, but very uniform strain for sure, so much so I used it in a cross of mine... :jawdrop:

Also, with Autos you can run your lights on any light cycle.. even 12/12 because I've done it. this would give you plants you could harvest in 75 days, some less...

good luck:puffpuffpass:

Hrmm see your point on the drain valve as oppsed to a pump its still only one part that can go wrong and screw lifting 200lbs of water if dont need too.

And for sure believe I will go mostly with auto's maybe make a mother or 2 of the photos I have at the moment.

One thing I am a little concerned about is the PVC grid I am calling it if not level would one side maybe try to get more water than the other?
And also with a pump like that watering the plant if the pressure is too much it will blow all the coco out of the pot maybe even lava rock I put on top as well. I suppose putting a valve in the line right after the pump partially closed can rememdy that but probably ruin the pump over time. Worse case I gotta water once by hand and get another pump no biggy I reckon.

Last edited:
I use the blumat system and absolutely love it, might be ine ofbthe best investments ive made. A garden hose runs from a split at my utility sink and up towards the ceiling and runs over to my rooms. On the walls i have my water filter mounted that it hooks up to. Out of the filter i have a bunch of splits and on off valves running on that black 1/4 inch tubing that is dirt cheap. A line runs to my first res and jumps over to my second res. Each res has a shut off valve and a float valve. Gravity does the rest. The easiest watering ive ever done.

Hrmm see your point on the drain valve as oppsed to a pump its still only one part that can go wrong and screw lifting 200lbs of water if dont need too.

And for sure believe I will go mostly with auto's maybe make a mother or 2 of the photos I have at the moment.

One thing I am a little concerned about is the PVC grid I am calling it if not level would one side maybe try to get more water than the other?
And also with a pump like that watering the plant if the pressure is too much it will blow all the coco out of the pot maybe even lava rock I put on top as well. I suppose putting a valve in the line right after the pump partially closed can rememdy that but probably ruin the pump over time. Worse case I gotta water once by hand and get another pump no biggy I reckon.

Yeah, didn't know you also wanted to use it to water automatically.... thought you just needed the water up there and was trying to save you lifting it... lol. Sounds like Breeze has more experience with this type of setup then I do so I'll let the more knowledgeable person step in here..
One great thing about here, always find the help you need... Carty

Back