I had an idea today for a contest.

WrinkledNugSack

@DMAN @Optimus Prime @CurbsideServ

I didn't quite know where to put this thread, so if you want to move it somewhere else have at it. If you guys think that it's a bad idea and want to delete the post right off, go ahead and do that too.

So I had an idea today that I think is worth consideration. Before I begin I will say this, other than throwing the idea out there, I won’t be entering this contest at any time, I won’t be asking for seeds or clones; in short, I have nothing to gain or loose by its use. If you think it’s a stupid idea, don’t hesitate to say so… you are NOT going to hurt my feelings.

If you think of something else to add or suggest feel free to do so… riff off of it as much as you like.

The basis for the idea:

Seed makers/breeders can’t always get someone to test their work… five prospective seed maker/breeder(s) contribute auto seeds that they want tested free of charge. (Lets say 5 auto seeds would work best from each of the five seed makers/breeders. (Plant counts may be a problem in some jurisdictions.)

The seeds go to the Canna Cabana admin. They take the seeds and number them, and put one of each seed in five separate packs. They choose 5 “winners of a random contest they run”. (The winners must be willing to grow the seeds as soon as they get them, and do a grow log that is displayed on the individual growers thread)

The winners of the random contest are selected. They get the shipment of the 5 seeds from Admin. (One of each seed) They pop the seeds and regularly update their grow log for everyone to see.

The Benefits:

The Canna Cabana get the traffic when people follow along.

The seed maker/breeder actually gets to see that their gear is being tested. (It would work best of the seed maker/grower could “suggest” how to grow their contribution ie: low light levels, heavy feeder, soil only, etc… but that would allow the seed maker/breeder know what number of seed was theirs. (Although, it would become apparent to them as the plants mature anyway; would this be a problem?)

The grower competes against their fellow homies for a prize to be determined, and they get to grow something that no one else has grown. Perhaps, the winner is chosen by a vote from the Canna Cabana membership who are watching the grow journals?… anyway, you get the idea. Perhaps, the grower has to complete a "smoke test too" vape, oil, etc etc.

Thoughts?

This sounds like a good idea. Could be several close versions to ponder, also.

On a sort of ? related subject, which could be incorporated was the podcast talk of limited edition trading cards. Was looking at Full Scale site, briefly, to see if they offered trading cards, didn't see any, but they might be able to whup something up?

I have new things coming! Cool idea and will keep it in mind!

Check out the new Bean Exchange forum! Seed for seed trades! Going to open it up today at some point…something new and different from anywhere else, I hope it does well.

Coming soon - Cabana Boxes….I'm pretty confident everyone will love these and I hope lots of community members are eager to contribute! These will be special and unique! Hopefully unlike anything else out there.
I will post more details today, some keep your eyes peeled!

phonto.jpeg

On a sort of ? related subject, which could be incorporated was the podcast talk of limited edition trading cards. Was looking at Full Scale site, briefly, to see if they offered trading cards, didn't see any, but they might be able to whup something up?
Full Scale can do everything!!!

Check out the new Bean Exchange forum! Seed for seed trades! Going to open it up today at some point…something new and different from anywhere else, I hope it does well.

Coming soon - Cabana Boxes….I'm pretty confident everyone will love these and I hope lots of community members are eager to contribute! These will be special and unique! Hopefully unlike anything else out there.

View attachment 360412
Oh, the seed trade boxes! So cool! At first i was thinking about those old boxes that had the screen for dry sift, some gal used to make them 'custom' with different designs/photos on the lid. Cannot recall who that was, or what site it was, but always wanted one. That would be something that would make a cool contest prize, too!

" limited edition trading cards" with real life scratch and sniff"s, like that little nerd Harry Potter had?... "I got a Cat Piss; eeeew!... just don't do a vape version pls.

View attachment 360412
Ok, so I'm ma idiot... I just read your "rules for the bean exchange" and you said that any personal information (mailing, etc) has to be done in the DM. I may be alone here, but for new(er) people, how can we identify that we have actually posted in a "DM"?... I messaged two people and was not 100% certain (and I'm still not), that it was not on the open forum... the "templates" look identical.

I'd hate to see someone get a lifetime ban if they were uncertain how to do it... BUT, I do suppose the person on the other end would likely know.

... perhaps I see a potential problem where there isn't one?

We got some sort of gift box that i thought might be okay, but it was too flimsy, i think. It would take a beating, too. It'd have to be tough to survive me.

Ha, the TigerLily days! Wonder what became of her? Changed moniker and still around?

View attachment 360412
@CurbsideServ

Could you/would you want to, mash those two ideas together?... do the contest in some fashion re: the original post, but the growers take photos of the 5 plants they grow out. The members vote on a number of the "potential" picture(s) to use for the trading card, thereby getting credit for the grow and the photo (after all, the quality of a cell phone picture is every bit as high or many times higher than the $1,000.00 Fuji camera with a whopping 3 pixels I bought in Victoria 25 years ago, most people should be able to snap an acceptable photo?)... then, IMHO, the seed maker/breeder should select the picture for the card.

You'd have the "Winner of grow contest #1" or gold, palladium, platinum, silver, bronze (whatever)

The TCC orders the cards and they can be bought outright, or "get one free" when buying a pack of seeds on the drop through the TCC. (Would you want to package the seeds bonded to the card like you see with anti-hystimens? Cutting them out would possibly lower the value of the card going forward.

The TCC gets a bit of revenue, traffic, and possibly new members.

The seed maker/breeder gets exposure and at least 5 testers (in this example), plus the smoke report.

The growers get to show off how adept they are at growing out "Miz Houity-Touity" with her perfumey fragrances and rock hard (errrr) nuts. Plus the smoke.

The members are interactive with the grow, the pictures, the cards, and get to know the seed makers/growers, and buy "what might become" a valuable keepsake.

All that to "assume" that the seed maker/breeders think this is a good idea.

The TCC could also do a "vintage cultivar series" that would cut out the members portion... thereby leaving your original idea intact.

Last edited:
... what seed maker/breeder wouldn't want to be included in one of the first 10 TCC grow contests and have their name locked in history; you might be able to run a cage-match for the rights to participate!... I kept posting TTC instead of TCC as if you were the Toronto Transit Commission, my appologies.

... what seed maker/breeder wouldn't want to be included in one of the first 10 TCC grow contests and have their name locked in history; you might be able to run a cage-match for the rights to participate!... I kept posting TTC instead of TCC as if you were the Toronto Transit Commission, my appologies.
You’re definitely not the first to make that error...lol! :NBF:

IMG_1670.jpeg

Has anyone else noticed that since this is going to take zero of my investment dollars, effort, or planning on my part, I have no problem suggesting to make it as complex and potentially problematic as possible? ha ha...

I'll stop now.

I’m all about contests, but tons moving parts, not so much. In order for me too execute some fun contests, they still need to VERY EASY. Not only for me but the general community. But I love all the ideas, keep them coming, and maybe with some more help I could organize some more in depth contests.

We used to have some nice contests and auctions back in the day.
contests were simple questions, like who wrote this book, or what was this or that. auctions were held in our chat room so we could see bids in real time. AH memories.

Once I took a moment are realized how wildly complex it was it prompted my last response.... I wouldn't want to do that either. (Unless there was a great deal of assistance.) Because I have made a few seeds for myself and I know how hard it is to get feedback (mine was trying to get a smoke report from my friends who I gifted flower to), I thought this might work on a number of levels... and, I'm going to assume, that it may not be nearly as difficult to get seed donations as I might think it is. The borders and laws make it tricky as well.

Back