How to test a HPS ignitor

Defacto

Anyone know how to test an ignitor for 1000W HPS?

Mine won't light a bulb. (this just after I was praising the magnetic ballast longevity.) :)

1000W HPS Ignitor.jpg

I used to know how to test them but that information has been lost in time. Should figure this out as I still run magnetics.
I always kind of wondered about fixing a ballast as all the other parts are the same age... Unless it died quite early in life.

I used to know how to test them but that information has been lost in time. Should figure this out as I still run magnetics.
I always kind of wondered about fixing a ballast as all the other parts are the same age... Unless it died quite early in life.
Starters are prone to go but the coil will remain fine as long as winding are intact .
I still have a magnetic ballast that I have repaired twice now (replaced parts ) thing is like 30 years old Id say..... came out of old Mine Mechanic shop .
Had a old Hydrofarm 400 thing was junk would die every 6 months ...only died 3 times and then I tossed it .

Last edited:
Interesting

The one that I have is 30 years old.

This is its first problem although it runs only 12 hours a day for about 2 months each year.

As you said, the interior windings look like new so I am hoping an ignitor will put it back into action.

ballast.jpg

Last edited:
I hope it fired up the bulb for a and you can extend the life of that ballast :)

Back