How to dry and cure

Do you any of you think the bovida 62% is too moist for smoking? Maybe it a matter of preference, but it always seems a little too moist and I find the smells and flavor pop more once they get into the upper 50's. I think the 62% gets you to a good stable place where curing is happpening. Insaw our feed n grow store is selling 58% knock off bovidas.

I agree 62 is too moist. I use them for the cure and long term storage. Not too moist to be an issue there. I then pull a week (heck who am I kidding... These days it's literally
More like a month worth) out of that jar into a smaller jar without a pack and by the time it's gone it has dried even more. I know boveda tried a 55 or something but failed. Not sure why. Maybe just have an extra jar in the cycle? Last jar. No pack. See if that works?
Fh

Well I tried the 55`s that I posted and they didn't do squat...It looks like Boveda is the way to go...take care n stay safe.

i'm finding after just a few days the smell has gotten way more intense and the greasyness seems to getting more greasy as the hours click bye...I'm of the opinion that storage in the big cvaults is best done with the 62 packs but they do keep the herb a little too moist for my liking...I'll more than likely just take out what I feel like smoking a day or two before I try to use it...

Dry trim - Rubbermaid Tubs - Turkey Bags. Temp. 65-74°F RH 40-60% with good air movement. That's it for me.

I'm in the "boveda packs make the herb too moist" camp. Imho 62% is way too much moisture for smoking but pretty good for storage or long term curing (1 month or more)

U may as well keep your product in a cigar box or humidor if u want 62%. The tobacco industry has perfected that range of vegetable curing and storage, and it's certainly cheaper than a bunch of expensive jars or cans and boveda packs.

The-Havana-Foot-Locker-Cigar-Humidor-HUM-400FL-11.jpg

Just my opinion :c1:Take care and stay safe

guerilla

Last edited:
The couple times I've tried "good air movement" I've had the worst dry (too fast) I've ever had. Horrible outcome.
What does "good air movement" mean to people? I assume just open space for passive circulation rather than direct or indirect fan.

This is not to create conflict but how is a humidor cheaper than jars, cans or boveda? IMO not even a small closet grow yield could fit in a reasonably sized/priced humidor. I bet the boveda would work well in turkey bags as well if sealed.

I've had the best results drying (ie.-slow dry) with cardboard boxes with buds/branches hanging on the walls of the box or lying on the bottom depending on the shape. Then to jars or turkey bags for cure. I have used boveda but that was one of my first grows. I am considering giving them another go but mostly just need to bounce back from my last couple harvests being being dried way too quickly in error. No fans in drying chamber in my location/atmosphere!!! (tough lesson to learn on that one...ruined my two largest harvests ever and killed my customer base dead).

Dry trim - Rubbermaid Tubs - Turkey Bags. Temp. 65-74°F RH 40-60% with good air movement. That's it for me.

I'm in the "boveda packs make the herb too moist" camp. Imho 62% is way too much moisture for smoking but pretty good for storage or long term curing (1 month or more)

U may as well keep your product in a cigar box or humidor if u want 62%. The tobacco industry has perfected that range of vegetable curing and storage, and it's certainly cheaper than a bunch of expensive jars or cans and boveda packs.

The-Havana-Foot-Locker-Cigar-Humidor-HUM-400FL-11.jpg

Just my opinion :c1:Take care and stay safe

guerilla

Try 5 gal. Gamma buckets ...inexpensive. ..

It's basically a white 5 gallon food grade bucket from home depot and a gamma lid...

Hey bodhisattva, the humidor was a joke. Just comparing it to the high humidity storage in expensive containers that others were talking about.

As for air circulation, I'd say passive circulation similar to a grow room is best. Definitely not saying to point a fan directly at what you're drying, just good air movement throughout the room to avoid stagnant air and mold.

The buckets with gamma lids are great too, I have one myself but I only use it when I have time for a nice long cure of at least a month. The way I dry is to put the whole branches in the Rubbermaid container to effectively slow down the drying process a little. Once they are at the point that the leaves are dry and crispy to the touch, I trim them up and cut the buds off the branches and into the turkey bag or bucket with gamma lid.

Any one hanging the whole plant and trimming dry? Somone posted a link here of the jungle boys dry, harvest and cure, which is basically hang the whole plant for 2wks at 60f, 60 rh, then trim. Except for way back, I've always trimmed wet. I just harvested and am too busy with work to trim right now , so I'm trying this method.

Any one hanging the whole plant and trimming dry? Somone posted a link here of the jungle boys dry, harvest and cure, which is basically hang the whole plant for 2wks at 60f, 60 rh, then trim. Except for way back, I've always trimmed wet. I just harvested and am too busy with work to trim right now , so I'm trying this method.

I do and have always done it that way. It works for me. Aloha DB

I like to break down plants and strip fans before hand drying...so much easier to remove fans when they are turgid imo. Hang mains and then hang wishbones. I like to get the main stem out of there to promote even and quicker drying. 5-7 days is pretty much target...I feel like leaving the buds hang wet too long after chop with limited fans is a recipe for disaster but may be completely wrong. Trim sugar leaves when dry then onto racks for a short time before Turkey bags.

Back