HLV (Hop Latent Viroid) checklist and procedures

sticky is as sticky does
YOUR HOP LATENT VIROID CHECKLIST
Hop Latent Viroid (HLVd) is a single-stranded, circular infectious RNA that causes stunted growth in cannabis and hemp plants that can decrease yield as much as 50%. Use these checklists to help you identify, eliminate, and prevent an HLVd infection in your grow.

Identification
If you observe any of the following symptoms, you may have a hop latent viroid (HLVd) infection.

Propagation
† High percentage of clones damping off
† Clones unable to take root
Vegetative Stage
† Lateral branching
† Brittle stems
† Smaller, narrower leaves
† Discolored, malformed leaves
† Shorter internodal spacing
† Odor similar to composting leaves
Flowering
† Decreased flower size and/or density
† Decreased trichome production
† Decreased oil production
† Increased hermaphroditism
† Increased susceptibility to pathogens (powdery mildew, botrytis, etc.)

Elimination
If you suspect a HLVd infection, use the following steps to eliminate it.
† Test any plants showing signs of HLVd infection with PathoSEEK Hop Latent Viroid Detection Assay and remove any plants that test positive
† Expand testing to include all mother plants and remove any plants that test positive
† Replace mothers with new plants grown from seed
† Perform a deep clean of all equipment and surfaces using a 10-20% bleach solution

YOUR HOP LATENT VIROID CHECKLIST

Prevention
Use the checklist below to make sure you are taking proper steps to prevent HLVd infection.

Propagation
† Screen mother plants for HLVd prior to taking any cuttings
† Space out mother plants to prevent contact
† Sterilize sheers and equipment with 10-20% bleach solution before and after
contact with plants
† Sterilize trays and humidity domes with 10-20% bleach solution
† Use fresh cloning gel for cuttings from different mother plants
† Quarantine and test outside clones before introducing them to clean plants
Vegetative Stage and Flowering
† Space out plants to prevent contact
† Sterilize pots with 10-20% bleach solution prior to transplanting
† Sterilize sheers and equipment with 10-20% bleach solution before and after
contact with plants
† Sterilize irrigation lines with 10-20% bleach solution
† Require visitors and staff wear hairnets, beard nets, gloves, and Tyvek
coveralls

©2021 MEDICINAL GENOMICS CORP. COPYRIGHT ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | 866-574-3582 | 617-892-7191 | [email protected]

I've read that heat treatments work to substantially reduce HLVd...two weeks of continuous 35C degrees reduces viroid content from 70-90%. That is 'in vitro' (lab grown, test tube type). I've also seen 25 to 36 celcius for five days quoted. So, about 80-95 degrees f.

I dunno how this would work in a real life situation. Anyway, growing in a very warm room/cab could be a good idea, along with testing and excellent cleaning.

Also read that alcohols don't work for sterilization, they may even help spread the viroid. I would think that ozone would work for sterilizing between grows (it would kill plants, though) Not sure about this, so chime in.

I was wondering about old seed. Does anyone have an idea of how old a pack should be to be somewhat earlier than the big spread of the viroid?

Back