Green Tomato Pie Recipe

nannymouse

Green (unripe)Tomato Pie Recipe:
Note, depending on how the skin is on the tomatoes, I usually blanch quickly to aid in removing peel, rather than try to peel by hand. Too long in the hot water, though, will make them mushy! And, I like to knock the seeds out when cubing.
Preheat over to 425 degrees f.

1 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 3 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups of peeled cubed green tomatoes
1 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tablespoon butter

In a bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt

Add tomatoes, lemon peel, lemon juice, toss to coat

Put into pie crust. cut butter into small pieces and sprinkle over tomatoes.

Put top crust over tomatoes

cover the outside of crust with foil.

Bake 35 to 45 minutes, removing foil for the last 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Okay, this can be sort of a sour-type pie, made for icecream. (For those in the know, think rhubarb pie) It is a great way to 'get rid of' a bunch of green maters. I like it better than most apple pies, to be honest. You could always add more sugar. and I like a lot of cinnamin, so would add more, if it was me baking the pie, instead of me honey.

Also, this is close to the family recipe book, but I think my honey grabbed this recipe from the internet, but have no idea from where(whence?). Would give credit, but...

Well, I don't get them ALL knocked out. I just cut the tomato in half at the equator, this leaves the seed compartments opened up(mostly) and I just give the tomato half a couple of taps to knock out the excess seeds and their juice. open side DOWN, so that gravity helps. much of the time, just trying to cut the stem out and 'handling' tears up the tomato so much that the juice and seeds come out pretty much on their own. A lot depends on the type of tomato and how far along it is, as to how easy the de-seeding(or peeling) goes. I don't mind some seeds, but gosh, some are just TOO seedy for my liking.

In any event, I like to get most of the seed cavity emptied of extra juice, so that the pie doesn't finish slurpy. It helps to do this over a colander that is nested inside a bowl to catch the seeds and juice. Then if a fine strainer is used, one can separate the juice from the seeds. I do save some seed! The juice is then poured into a glass or pitcher and we drink it all up or use for soup, etc. With green tomatoes, the seeds aren't usually mature, so they can go into chicken-food bucket with skins and stems.

If the seeds don't bother a person, I suppose that the de-stemmed and peeled tomato could just be popped into a food processor (I keep hinting to the kids that mom could use one of those new-fangled kitchen gadgets...) and then strain, if needed, before using in recipe.

I was sort of surprised that an occasional green tomato can have an aroma almost identical to when you bite into a granny smith apple.

For the pie, never use ripe tomatoes! Only immature ones. I had to add that, as there are some tomatoes that are actually green when ripe.

I'll give it a try Nanny..got plenty of green tomatoes but also a fridge full of apples in my shed..
I've tried fried green tomatoes before and wasn't impressed..

I'm still picking a few ripe tomatoes everyday..sure will miss em as the season is near the end..

thanks for the recipe..

We have such a short season. We need fast producing plants, even if I start them indoors. I also keep some tom plants growing in south windows through the winter. They sure don't produce much, but a couple of ripe homegrowns is a treat. What works well, though, is that I can take cuts from them in the spring and don't have to fuss with a lot of seed starts. Honey always seems to put them out too early, hoping for a good spring, then we get frost, freeze, hail. I've gotten to where I ration them out to him, so that we have backups. Then, with short season, we have a ton of green ones to deal with or feed to chickens. We plant lots of plants, so I usually get enough ripe ones to be plenty matered out by end of good weather, plus have put away enough sauce for the winter.

Oh, you can also can/freeze those immature ones, too(I like to have them readied for pie and a quart size freezer bag will hold the four cups for the pie recipe). Some folks love green tomato salsa, it is way more tangy than the ripe tom salsa, and works well incorporated into peach salsa. I like fried green tomatoes, but that said, I'm rather fed up with tomatoes by the end of season.

Shovelhandle, some folks like the pie to look as much like apple pie as they can make it. Plus, I think it is mostly to get the excess juice out of the recipe...and once the juice is out, why put the seeds back in? Plenty get left in the pie filling, in any case, as i'm just not that fussy about them, either.

Back