Fuck - What are these bugs?!

Olday

I’ve been really lucky and have avoided pests well, however I just saw these white mushy crawling things on my 9lb hammer seedlings. They aren’t hard to see, almost the size of a zit white head. I sprayed everything down with green cleaner but not sure if that is the right tool for the job.

055F2CBF-83D4-45AB-AE67-29760ACF74D5.jpg

Hey olday don’t spray em to much with the green cleaner they will burn. Not really sure what it is just hanging on the stem but probally came in the dirt. I got a bottle of purecrop1 on the way since they are not making promis anymore but it covers a lot of insects I’d check it out. Little pricey but I’ve heard good things about it.

Id guess.baby gnats just hatched nothing that id suspect cant be killed easily with basic garden spray if ya. Have to..id just brush them off with your finger n smash um

I think so guy man dude - I ordered some nematodes to get to work under the soil, the green cleaner seems to have knocked them back for now, but I found a bunch on a really low Asian beauty leaf as well so they have spread a bit. Hoping the nematodes work as I’d like to move into a more super/living soil setup and I’ll likely need to learn what takes care of them as well.

they might be mealybugs. google them and see if they line up.

i got a bag of some coco mix that had scale mealybugs. what a headache.

if mealybugs, they can be controlled using horticultural oil.

they're not gnats, that's for sure...be certain to identify what they are before you begin treating...mealybugs hang out together and can turn a stem into looking like a pipe cleaner...I'd try monterey garden spray with spinosad...

they might be mealybugs. google them and see if they line up.

i got a bag of some coco mix that had scale mealybugs. what a headache.

if mealybugs, they can be controlled using horticultural oil.

I think you hit it right on the $$... Scaley Mealey bugs.. turds. If you have more seeds, start over. it's way to much stress on a young plant and you may be looking at issues
down the road.. if not, then fight the good fight bro and hope for the best. I think soils are a big culprit of this. Last bag of Foxfarm Strawberry Fields was so full of fungus gnats I
battled them from day one. this time almost none, same soil, same shop...

best of luck

I’m 99% on aphids, I think I caught them earlier than OP’s pic. These were the only 9lb hammer seeds so I’m going to fight them. They spread a little into the flower tent so I’m going to need to fight them anyway. Nematodes are on the way and the green cleaner seems to have them at bay for now. It’s interesting to see that they picked their plants and seem to have left the other ones alone all together. The baby seedlings and the Asian Beauty seem to be what they like. The GG4, Mag landrace, Malawi have so far not had a single one on them.
86162435-13BA-4F08-9B32-D2CE3D8E51B0.jpg

I`d say Aphids for sure...had a minor infestation here and cured it buy adding an inch of perlite to the top of my pots and I misted them with this stuff... https://enzymeskomplete.ca/fogging-misting/ went with the 35% hydrogen peroxide instead od the 30%....seems to have worked but only time will tell...take care and stay safe.

lady bugs would be very effective. I can get 1000 Lady bugs for around $14 here. Monterey Garden Spray, Capt Jacks, either would work well. But don't spray anything chemical if you're going to toss predators at them since more chem sprays will kill the predators too.

Last edited:
I’m 99% on aphids, I think I caught them earlier than OP’s pic. These were the only 9lb hammer seeds so I’m going to fight them. They spread a little into the flower tent so I’m going to need to fight them anyway. Nematodes are on the way and the green cleaner seems to have them at bay for now. It’s interesting to see that they picked their plants and seem to have left the other ones alone all together. The baby seedlings and the Asian Beauty seem to be what they like. The GG4, Mag landrace, Malawi have so far not had a single one on them.
View attachment 342486

That's what they do. They certainly have their preferences, lol.

The leaf pic is from the same plant as the pic in the original post? I got the impression they were much bigger than what I see in the underside leaf pic.

Thanks [MENTION=4246]Lithium[/MENTION] - I think it’s a size ratio thing with the pic - that leaf is one of the big ass fans from the Asian Beauty, the fans at the bottom of her are really large

Back