Fermented BBQ sauce

rosso reefo

pizza mystro
I know what some of you are thinking, it's got alcohol in it but that's not the case..back in my 20s when I was an inspired young chef I had this musician from Alabama come in and he'd bring in his own BBQ sauce..the best I've ever had and I've had my share of BBQ sauces across the states from the east coast to the west..he wouldn't give me his recipe but he did mention that his secret was fermentation..
funny how something like that has stuck in brain over so many years..
looking at the over flow of tomatoes in my freezers I thought why not give it a try..
not much help on the internet so I thought I'd make a good ketchup from scratch, add basic BBQ sauce ingredients to it..let it cool down, add some brewers yeast, pour it all into a sterilized gallon jug and seal it off with a fermentation air lock for maybe a week or 2 and see what happens..
thinking it might not even need the yeast and that the sugars alone would ferment..
use to make my own beer so I'm not a stranger to fermentation but would love to get some thoughts from anyone about this crazy project I want to pursue..
it's going to take a lot of work and time and hope it turns out nothing like the store bought crap or shit they make in restaurants with Heinz ketchup or canned tomatoes..:chef:

I wouldn't have a clue...but the local library is hosting a fermentation class in a little more than a week.I could ask about that,and pass any relevant info on to you.

BTW:I used to enjoy a BBQ sandwich at little hamburger restaurant outside of Beaverton Or years ago.I LOVED that BBQ sauce,and like you...have never found it's match anywhere.

http://www.cookinggodsway.com/lacto-fermented-ketchup-bbq-sauce/

Making your own lacto-fermented condiments is quite easy, so why not enjoy the wonderful health benefits that come with lacto-fermentation?

We love this lacto-fermented ketchup on almost everything. With the molasses added, it tastes like a cross between BBQ Sauce and Ketchup…so it makes a very versatile condiment at the dinner table.

2 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
2 Tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons whey (see how to obtain whey)
3 to 4 Tablespoons Maple Syrup, to taste
1 Tablespoon unsulphured Molasses, optional
1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground all-spice
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 cup water filtered water (to desired consistency)

Other Items you will Need:

1-pint or quart sized wide-mouth jar (preferably with air-lock lid)

Place all ingredients, except water, in the container of *food processor*. Add 1/4 cup filtered water and process until smooth. If needed add additional water until desired consistency is reached (for me it’s about 3/8 to 1/2 cup of total water).

Place ketchup in glass jar, preferably with air-lock lid, capping tightly. If using air-lock fill with water according to instructions. Allow to ferment, at room temperature, for 3 days.

Remove air-lock lid, if using, and replace with storage lid. Transfer to, and keep in the refrigerator for long term storage.

Makes 2 cups.

You can add some whey from kefir cheese (or whey from yogurt cheese) as a starter for fermenting. Kefir has more biologics in it than yogurt does. Kefir (or yogurt) cheese is just kefir/yogurt that has had whey drained off so it gets thick. Yogurt cheese is almost identical to cream cheese; I use it instead of cream cheese.

Reactions: mre
Sounds amazing, I use to have a recipe that was for red rooster sauce where you ferment the peppers first, then make the rooster sauce. Sounds like your on the right path to some killer sauce man.

I attended that fermentation class last night (Tues), but the lady conducting the class didn't know anything about fermenting BBQ sauce,nor did she offer any suggestions.And she is a published food author and authority.

Go figure.:crazy:

Very true Fred..I'm mainly a salt and pepper guy..
but if you had tried this BBQ sauce I'm talking about you'd be a convert..
store bought chit is garbage..

Back