Efficacy of Decarboxylization

EkToTeen

I was looking for any information about what equipment is best suited for decarbing cannabis products??

I've just been using the oven in my kitchen but figure there is a more efficient way to go about it.

I do this a bit.
I put a small amount of bud in the middle of a square of aluminum foil. Fold foil in half and flatten lightly. Now fold over an edge about half and inch, continue to the next edge, same thing. Keep folding the three edges in toward the center until you have a foil pocket of bud. This I put into a toaster oven that I did measure it's accuracy. The foil packet keeps the temperature more even, keeps the terpines that may start to evaporate in the packet and it keeps the smell down a lot. The air in the packet will expand a bit. Give the packet a minute to cool so any vaporized materials can be reclaimed. I use a setting of 210º for 50 minutes. Been working well, I get no complaints from the products.

Isn’t aluminum foil used for cooking as well? I’m no metologist or nothing for sure.
Just would think it’s safe at cooking temps.
Course people microwave stuff in plastic...

Nannymouse, aluminum is safe at low temps like that, shouldn't be a problem.

Nanny seems to know more about metals since she had problems but I quit playing with the F.O.I.L. since was linked to Alzheimer's & to think all those days of folk chasing the dragon across a sheet of foil and how we used to make a pipe by wrapping foil around a toilet paper roll ahahah then the best when would wrap potato's & onions with butter in foil in the BBQ wow tasty but never again ..:pointlaugh:

Yeah, aluminum is even for sale for ingesting, as 'alum' and I heard that it is used in making processed cheese and other food items. I'm thinking it is one of those things that SHOULD have been banned from certain uses, decades ago. I'd vote for it to be banned from food products and cooking items/cooking bags. As for the foil, I have probably used it one time in many years for cooking, to cover a large turkey that my roaster lid wouldn't cover. I do use it as a cover for non-cooking, like to transport pies. But I snarl, every time that I do these little things, even.

check it out and make up your own mind. If/when you see the foil discolored, please do think about this.

It is worse with higher acid food, like tomato, I would think.

Nanny, you're right, aluminum IS reactive; any acidic food will eat holes in it, and you def don't want to eat that food after it has eaten holes in the aluminum. That's why all the aluminum food and beverage containers are coated with plastic (ick).

And I agree that smoking anything through aluminum is a bad idea. I also wouldn't put it in my armpits, I switched to non-alum deodorant decades ago.

But for non-reactive substances like flowers, heating to only <250 F? Imho not a problem.

I was looking for any information about what equipment is best suited for decarbing cannabis products??

I've just been using the oven in my kitchen but figure there is a more efficient way to go about it.

I don't decarb the herb, I decarboxylate the concentrate after extracting by setting a container of it in a 250F hot oil bath and watching the bubbles. When the CO2 bubble production suddenly drops off, it is about 70% decarboxylated and will have the maximum THC content. When bubbles stop, you are at 100%, but much of your THC will have degraded to CBN.

Back